I am looking at taking my very first trip to Costa Rica this summer. i have spent the past couple of weeks looking for places to stay and things to do, and I think I have come up with a fairly good itinerary. However, I want to get the advice of people who have traveled to Costa Rica before, and not just the advice from guide books. So, here is the itinerary. Let me know what you think.
Day 1: Arrive in San Jose, Drive to Manuel Antonio
Day 2: Manuel Antonio
Day 3: Manuel Antonio
Day 4: Manuel Antonio
Day 5: Drive to Montezuma Area
Day 6: Montezuma Area
Day 7: Montezuma Area
Day 8: Drive to Monteverde
Day 9: Monteverde
Day 10: Drive to Arenal Volcano Area
Day 11: Arenal Volcano Area
Day 12: Arenal Volcano Area
Day 13: Drive to Poas Volcano
Day 14: Drive to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Day 15: Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Day 16: Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Day 17: These last three days are my flex days. I don't really have a plan for these, so any suggestions on what to do with these days would be greatly appreciated. Is there another place that I should try to go? Or should I add these days to areas that I am already going?
Day 18: Flex
Day 19: Flex
Day 20: Leave SJO
So, let me know what you guys think about this itinerary. Are there any places that I left out that I should include, or any places that I should leave out? Also, I would really like lots of suggestions on drives I should make between these places. I know Costa Rica is a very beautiful country, so I am just assuming that there has to be at least a few pretty drives that I should not miss. Let me know what you think. Any suggestions whatsoever are greatly appreciated. I am look for suggestions on just about everything! Thank you in advance! I look forward to reading your responses.
Extra Info (incase you wanted it): I am planning on renting a car, and driving basically everywhere that I go. I will be taking this trip with my family aged 51,46,21,19, and 17. We love hiking, snorkeling, wildlife viewing, relaxing at the beach, and we are basically open to trying anything.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Best time of year for Mexico City/Puebla?
- 2 info needed on NW Mexico trip
- 3 Help! Should I go to Central America during the rainy season?
- 4 Tulum Beachfront Lodging with Tweens
- 5 Need Help with Costa Rica
- 6 Cozumel airport transfers
- 7 Best plan - suggestions
- 8 Playa Del Carmen restaurant
- 9 Vacation choices
- 10 Puerto Vallarta
- 11 nicaragua-Rancho Santana
- 12 Cabo, Playa, or PV?
- 13 PV Questions about art, food, cooking classes!
- 14 A First TripTo Puerta Vallerta
- 15 Transportation between Granada, Nicaragua and Ometepe, Nicaragua
- 16 Old Town Puerto Vallarta May 2017
- 17 Isla Holbox - where did you stay?
- 18 Olmec Colossal Heads
- 19 Tour Guide - Mexico City
- 20 Tulum & Coba - Travel Report
- 21 1/2 day excursions
- 22 Thanksgiving/Riviera Maya area/All Inclusive
- 23 Going with the flow - 16 days in Costa Rica
- 24 top 8 cenotes to visit
- 25 Our recent trip to Costa Rica