We (family of 5 incl 3 childredn ages 10, 10 & 5) will be getting into Panama City at 9pm on a Friday in Feb, and out the following night by 8pm on our way to a longer vacation in Colombia. The main focus of the visit is the Panama Canal. In fact, we ended up extending our stop-over in PTY hoping to get enough time to spend at the canal. Previously, we have travelled to many countries, including Costa Rica (CR) and Venezuela.
In CR, we had a car rental, and it worked out beautifully, as it does in many places for us - especially with the children. I am getting the impression that PTY driving is not much different than in the US, and should be at least at par with CR.
Can you guys suggest if the following would work:
- Rent car at PTY airport upon landing, and drive down to a hotel near the canal visitor center- say County Inn & Suites or Holiday Inn. Walk to the visitor center in the morning, and be done by around lunch time.
- Spend the second half of the day in something else outdoors (e.g., people-watching or walking down a cool village or town-center) before returning back to the airport around 5-6pm.
The other option would be to take a cab to the hotel by the canal's visitor center or the starting point for a 1/2-day cruises up the canal. Are we missing something by not taking the cruise - four hours on a boat with kids sounds long-ish.
1-day in Panama City - rent car?
- 1 Playa Samara Costa Rica
- 2 Several Neat Attractions in Costa Rica
- 3 Roatan, Belize and Cozumel excursion ideas in November
- 4 FIRST TIME TO COSTA RICA -- experts please ((HELP))
- 5 Costa Rica Driver
- 6 please help!
- 7 Pedregal Area, Cabo San Lucas -- Help & Input!
- 8 Belize
- 9 Costa Rica
- 10 First trip to Belize.. help!
- 11 Costa Rica Rainforests
- 12 Just returned from Playa Del Carmen - have some new recs
- 13 Lovin' Costa Rica with Kids
- 14 Oaxaca or San Miguel de Allende
- 15 Costa Rica All Inclusive
- 16 Need help Planning Costa Rica Trip
- 17 Beaches in Costa Rica
- 18 Excellence Resort advice
- 19 (BELIZE )Honeymoon in November - Help!
- 20 2013 GTG - Bosque del Cabo, Costa Rica
- 21 Where's best to stay for scuba?
- 22 Bus from Guadalajara to Puerta Vallarta
- 23 Costa rica questions?
- 24 Baja California
- 25 SJO-Jaco beach transportation