My husband and I are spending 12 days in Switzerland and France visiting relatives and touring around. We'll be there in late June, early July. Confused about whether to rent a car or take the train. What's more economical? Based on many posts I've read, most seem to prefer the train. But car rental prices are listed at around $30/day. Even factoring in the cost of gas and parking, this seems much cheaper than prices I have seen for the train, for the two of us. Am I missing something?
Also would love recommendations for special attractions, reasonable hotels in Montreux and Paris (ideally under $200/night) , restaurants and any stops we MUST make along the way. We like off the beaten path stuff, museums, art, history. Here's our planned itinerary
Day 1 arrive Zurich, 1st night near Berne with family
Days 2-3 Montreux
Days 4-8 Paris
Days 8-12 back in Zurich area with family
THANK YOU for your suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Escorted Tours
- 2 Ludwig Castles
- 3 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 4 HIking through France for 2 weeks
- 5 Barcelona, hiking in Pyrenees + which other? (Costa Brava or Mallorca?)
- 6 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 7 Two day Dublin itinerary
- 8 France Part Deux - Itinerary Advice
- 9 London GTG in June, Anyone?
- 10 2 Months in Sicily
- 11 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 12 What tips can you give about packing?
- 13 Le Marche, Italy
- 14 Croatia Itinerary help for 13 days in September 2017
- 15 Porte de Vanves or Clignancourt
- 16 Charles de Gaulle departure
- 17 Getting from Positano to Rome
- 18 Lake Geneva / Great St Bernard Pass / Milan / Naples
- 19 SHIP LUGGAGE
- 20 Splitting 11 days between Amsterdam and Dubrovnik
- 21 Hallstatt tour recommendations?
- 22 Where to stay in SW Ireland, Killarney or Kenmare?
- 23 Experience with Earthbound Tours
- 24 Driving from Munich to Barcelona
- 25 Visiting Monte Carlo during Grand Prix week