My husband and I are spending 12 days in Switzerland and France visiting relatives and touring around. We'll be there in late June, early July. Confused about whether to rent a car or take the train. What's more economical? Based on many posts I've read, most seem to prefer the train. But car rental prices are listed at around $30/day. Even factoring in the cost of gas and parking, this seems much cheaper than prices I have seen for the train, for the two of us. Am I missing something?
Also would love recommendations for special attractions, reasonable hotels in Montreux and Paris (ideally under $200/night) , restaurants and any stops we MUST make along the way. We like off the beaten path stuff, museums, art, history. Here's our planned itinerary
Day 1 arrive Zurich, 1st night near Berne with family
Days 2-3 Montreux
Days 4-8 Paris
Days 8-12 back in Zurich area with family
THANK YOU for your suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Back from Paris
- 2 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 3 Driving from Viena to Frankfurt
- 4 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 5 Musee Carnavalet closed for now
- 6 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 7 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 8 Another tipping question: concierges
- 9 Ireland in April-Day trips from Galway base
- 10 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 11 International Flight Question
- 12 NOT our first trip to Ireland
- 13 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 14 What to wear to wedding in Sweden
- 15 One day on the Amalfi coast
- 16 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 17 Luggage Storage
- 18 LIsbon
- 19 Best method to travel from Antalya to Cappadocia?
- 20 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 21 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 22 Paris- 1 B.R. APT.
- 23 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 24 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 25 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days