My husband and I are spending 12 days in Switzerland and France visiting relatives and touring around. We'll be there in late June, early July. Confused about whether to rent a car or take the train. What's more economical? Based on many posts I've read, most seem to prefer the train. But car rental prices are listed at around $30/day. Even factoring in the cost of gas and parking, this seems much cheaper than prices I have seen for the train, for the two of us. Am I missing something?
Also would love recommendations for special attractions, reasonable hotels in Montreux and Paris (ideally under $200/night) , restaurants and any stops we MUST make along the way. We like off the beaten path stuff, museums, art, history. Here's our planned itinerary
Day 1 arrive Zurich, 1st night near Berne with family
Days 2-3 Montreux
Days 4-8 Paris
Days 8-12 back in Zurich area with family
THANK YOU for your suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tech challenged: US car charger for IPHONE work in France and Italy
- 2 Favorite European cemeteries?
- 3 The ever-popular Chip and Pin Credit Card
- 4 Edinburg for 24 hous
- 5 Buying Scrovegni Chapel tickets & Padova Card together
- 6 Our Next Europe Trip
- 7 Sunday Markets in Paris
- 8 How to rent a car...
- 9 Balleseede Castle in Trallee or Killarney
- 10 12 days in Italy
- 11 Most beautiful cities in Europe?
- 12 Itinerary tips for first timers
- 13 Day Trip to Sorrento - Help!
- 14 Paris - for the 6th time - need new ideas!
- 15 Ski resorts on Christmas Day/Eve in Switzerland
- 16 Globus vs. Insight for Italy
- 17 Shuttle Service in Paris
- 18 Vienna to Salzburg Please Help
- 19 3 Full days in Venice, what would be your itinerary?
- 20 MaiTaiTom's "Insane For Spain" - 2015
- 21 Did I make a mistake arriving Venice on a holiday (Nov 1)?
- 22 Suggestions for an afternoon in Istanbul
- 23 2 Days in Istanbul
- 24 Journees du Patrimoine
- 25 Segovia Hotel