My husband and I are spending 12 days in Switzerland and France visiting relatives and touring around. We'll be there in late June, early July. Confused about whether to rent a car or take the train. What's more economical? Based on many posts I've read, most seem to prefer the train. But car rental prices are listed at around $30/day. Even factoring in the cost of gas and parking, this seems much cheaper than prices I have seen for the train, for the two of us. Am I missing something?
Also would love recommendations for special attractions, reasonable hotels in Montreux and Paris (ideally under $200/night) , restaurants and any stops we MUST make along the way. We like off the beaten path stuff, museums, art, history. Here's our planned itinerary
Day 1 arrive Zurich, 1st night near Berne with family
Days 2-3 Montreux
Days 4-8 Paris
Days 8-12 back in Zurich area with family
THANK YOU for your suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Girona to Torla-where to stay along the way
- 2 Switzeraland Iternary
- 3 Barcelona sites: attire
- 4 Driving Itinerary in Austria Advice Please
- 5 Amalfi Coast restaurants...are dinner reservations a must?
- 6 Train Travel in Germany
- 7 Castle Hunters on HGTV - anyone watch?
- 8 Italy with kids - lost in the wilderness of planning - please help
- 9 Advice on Tuscan hilltowns itinerary
- 10 Barcelona Itinerary
- 11 Texans Take a Tour
- 12 Trip Report: Bellagio, Milan, Venice, Cinque Terre and Piedmont
- 13 6 nights in Portugal? Suggestions?
- 14 If you can travel anywhere, Where would you travel?
- 15 Lisbon
- 16 Puglia, where to stay for 8 days or so
- 17 One night in Amsterdam?
- 18 barcelona
- 19 Two-week itinerary, Barcelona + Madrid + Andalucia
- 20 A plethora of islands
- 21 Referendum in Greece
- 22 Place to stay--Ring of Kerry and Aran Islands
- 23 10 days in spain
- 24 London to Edinburgh transportation
- 25 Bergen Tour.Any suggestion pls.