My husband and I are spending 12 days in Switzerland and France visiting relatives and touring around. We'll be there in late June, early July. Confused about whether to rent a car or take the train. What's more economical? Based on many posts I've read, most seem to prefer the train. But car rental prices are listed at around $30/day. Even factoring in the cost of gas and parking, this seems much cheaper than prices I have seen for the train, for the two of us. Am I missing something?
Also would love recommendations for special attractions, reasonable hotels in Montreux and Paris (ideally under $200/night) , restaurants and any stops we MUST make along the way. We like off the beaten path stuff, museums, art, history. Here's our planned itinerary
Day 1 arrive Zurich, 1st night near Berne with family
Days 2-3 Montreux
Days 4-8 Paris
Days 8-12 back in Zurich area with family
THANK YOU for your suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 http://www.healthynutritionshop.com/alpha-prime-elite/
- 2 Scotland - Highlands in May or June?
- 3 Europe's Most Iconic Sights...???????
- 4 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 5 driving the coastline of Croatia
- 6 Where to spend a week in Italy
- 7 Help with timeline. Connecting flights in London Gatwick
- 8 Enough time to make connection at CDG?
- 9 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 10 Driving from Alesund to Geiranger
- 11 Planning a European Trip
- 12 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 13 Hotels in Kamari or Perissa/Perivolos Beaches - Santorini
- 14 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 15 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 16 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 17 Italy for Christmas Week
- 18 train or plane
- 19 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 20 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 21 Norway Itinerary
- 22 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 23 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 24 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 25 Krakow glass Christmas ornaments