My husband and I are spending 12 days in Switzerland and France visiting relatives and touring around. We'll be there in late June, early July. Confused about whether to rent a car or take the train. What's more economical? Based on many posts I've read, most seem to prefer the train. But car rental prices are listed at around $30/day. Even factoring in the cost of gas and parking, this seems much cheaper than prices I have seen for the train, for the two of us. Am I missing something?
Also would love recommendations for special attractions, reasonable hotels in Montreux and Paris (ideally under $200/night) , restaurants and any stops we MUST make along the way. We like off the beaten path stuff, museums, art, history. Here's our planned itinerary
Day 1 arrive Zurich, 1st night near Berne with family
Days 2-3 Montreux
Days 4-8 Paris
Days 8-12 back in Zurich area with family
THANK YOU for your suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Norwegian Air?
- 2 Norway in a nutshell in Winter Itinerary
- 3 UK or France or elsewhere, July 2018, good price from west coast?
- 4 A bit overwhelmed!!!
- 5 Barcelona rental for two couples??
- 6 Highclare Castle
- 7 Trip Report: Denmark, 2017
- 8 Florence hotels: JK Place vs. Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni
- 9 Suggestions for 3 greek islands
- 10 Salzburg itinerary review
- 11 Cash and Czech Crowns
- 12 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 13 Harry Potter, London Theater
- 14 Help Needed for 8/20: Train from Salzburg to Garmisch
- 15 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 16 Wine visits from Barcelona
- 17 Request Hotel Suggestion in London
- 18 Travelling to Russia during FIFA
- 19 Spain: train/rental car help
- 20 Athens hotel with Acropolis view from room/balcony
- 21 Paris Metro Entrances. How to find?
- 22 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 23 Slovenia, Austria, Switzerland, Italy - scenic road trips/countryside?
- 24 Loire Valley best place to linger
- 25 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017