My husband and I are spending 12 days in Switzerland and France visiting relatives and touring around. We'll be there in late June, early July. Confused about whether to rent a car or take the train. What's more economical? Based on many posts I've read, most seem to prefer the train. But car rental prices are listed at around $30/day. Even factoring in the cost of gas and parking, this seems much cheaper than prices I have seen for the train, for the two of us. Am I missing something?
Also would love recommendations for special attractions, reasonable hotels in Montreux and Paris (ideally under $200/night) , restaurants and any stops we MUST make along the way. We like off the beaten path stuff, museums, art, history. Here's our planned itinerary
Day 1 arrive Zurich, 1st night near Berne with family
Days 2-3 Montreux
Days 4-8 Paris
Days 8-12 back in Zurich area with family
THANK YOU for your suggestions!
Zurich to Montreux to Paris round trip - drive or train??
- 1 two weeks in Croatia Bosnia and Montenegro
- 2 Positano: hotel recommendations needed!
- 3 Peggy does Deutschland...
- 4 convenient hotel in rome for one nignt before heading south
- 5 Day trip or 1 night in Paris from London (w 7y/o & visiting Disney)
- 6 Finding Somene to Share the Cost of Car Rental with Driver to Tour Southern Tusacany in Mid Oct 2013
- 7 river cruise choice
- 8 Trip Report: SE England - Stately Homes & Gardens in Kent
- 9 Sweden, Denmark, Norway Trip Report
- 10 Rental car size in Spain: what's a supermini?
- 11 Rental Car Pick-Up near Beaune
- 12 Running Very Behind on Month Long Europe Trip
- 13 Paris Ticket t+
- 14 I have a new eBook out on Mystical Ireland Travel
- 15 Tales from Venice, Bologna, Pienza and Rome
- 16 Train Passes
- 17 Rome apartment
- 18 First time going to Europe. Flying into Dublin...
- 19 July reservations for County Kerry?
- 20 Prague Hotels -Old Town
- 21 The "I'm moving/I'm coming home" Italy Trip Report...
- 22 London and Paris; Christmas 2013!
- 23 Without a car in the Cote d'Azur
- 24 Gate 1 Travel is the BEST
- 25 Travelling within Florence and to Siena