My husband and I are spending 12 days in Switzerland and France visiting relatives and touring around. We'll be there in late June, early July. Confused about whether to rent a car or take the train. What's more economical? Based on many posts I've read, most seem to prefer the train. But car rental prices are listed at around $30/day. Even factoring in the cost of gas and parking, this seems much cheaper than prices I have seen for the train, for the two of us. Am I missing something?
Also would love recommendations for special attractions, reasonable hotels in Montreux and Paris (ideally under $200/night) , restaurants and any stops we MUST make along the way. We like off the beaten path stuff, museums, art, history. Here's our planned itinerary
Day 1 arrive Zurich, 1st night near Berne with family
Days 2-3 Montreux
Days 4-8 Paris
Days 8-12 back in Zurich area with family
THANK YOU for your suggestions!
Zurich to Montreux to Paris round trip - drive or train??
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Pleased help! Does Venice have a ZTL?
- 2 which is worse in july - rome or venice?
- 3 Spontaneous trip to Eastern Europe
- 4 Euro Quiz #44 - Museum Pourri
- 5 Should I buy Euro's now?
- 6 Pickup rental car in Germany and drop off in Switzerland
- 7 Home Base in Belgium
- 8 Michelin, Fodors, Rough Guide, or ???-What's your favorite travel guide?
- 9 Destination Benson; help with 2 options, please
- 10 Recommendations for hotels in Helsinki
- 11 Practicing Spanish while in Spain - any ideas?
- 12 Age for booking a hotel?
- 13 How tough are they with carry-ons for intra European flights?
- 14 Is this realistic... advice?
- 15 Winter in europe - am I being too ambitious?
- 16 Euro Quiz # 43 - Geography
- 17 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 18 Heading off to our 18day Eurotrip soon - 3000€ for 2 people? Enough?
- 19 First Europe trip - France, Italy & Greece
- 20 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 21 Potential return trip to Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 22 Summer vacation in Greece for 2 weeks, need help w itinerary !!
- 23 mallorca
- 24 Train to Harry Potter Studio---Tips?
- 25 Switzerland Trip with Family