I am planning a trip with my sister mid-late September. I think we will fly into Zurich and out of Milan for a total of 6 nights. I would love to spend longer, but it cannot be helped.
I love Italy, but have never been north of Florence and have heard great things about the scenic train rides through Switzerland. I don't want to overplan, but don't want to underplan either. I am a pretty laid back traveler and completely open to suggestions on anyone has for such a short trip. My sister has never been to Europe and while my favorite trips are 2 weeks (hard to take longer from work), I've been known to take short trips on a whim (il.e. London & Dublin over 3 days).
It feels like after a full day of travel, it would be nice to stay in Zurich the first day/night although it appears we could just get on a train and go somewhere. Everyone seems to have must sees for Switzerland, but it all looks great so I'm having trouble deciding. We love the mountains, photography, light hikes, quaint villages, nice people As far as Northern Italy, I know I could spend a year there, but only have a few days. It would seem to be a shame to miss Venice AGAIN, but also have heard great things about Cinque Terra...and frankly a lot of other places.
I'm not wanting to spend a fortune, but budget is not my main concern. It is my sister's birthday and I want her to really enjoy herself.
Arrive Zurich morning 9/20 - stay overnight or move on? Hear it is a good walking city and beautiful.
9/21 - 9/22 ? Where in Switzerland?
9/23 - 24 ? Venice? Cinque Terra?
9/25 - travel to Milan - interesting train stop along the way? Overnight in Milan
9/26 - fly out of Milan mid-day
Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm guessing with all of the other posts about trains, if I can get the stops decided it will be easier to figure out, but any thoughts there would be appreciated as well
Thanks in advance,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 http://www.7supplements.org/peak-test-xtreme/
- 2 Bergen Hotel -- near Port ?
- 3 roaming Prague...but for how long?
- 4 Azores
- 5 Barcelona to Paris - Road trip in between?
- 6 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 7 Cooking tours 3-4 days June 4 in Northern Italy
- 8 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 9 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 10 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 11 Short Trip in July
- 12 Springtime in Holland - Trip report
- 13 Advice on car and getting around Aeolian Islands
- 14 10-12 days - Czech Republic/Austria/Munich?
- 15 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 16 4 Nights - Bern/Grindelwald / Interlaken / Lucerne
- 17 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 18 Paris & Cote d'Azur Trip report
- 19 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 20 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 21 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 22 Sim Card Options
- 23 Greek Islands (small)
- 24 38 Days in Paris
- 25 Day trip ideas from Bristol, UK