So it seems people really don't recommend staying in Zurich as a base or for more than a night. However hubby and I are considering using it as a base for 5 nights for our next Europe trip. We fly in from Perth, Aust and are mindful of not moving every 2-3 days. I also don't picture Zurich as being an overwhelming city (like I think of London or Paris) so the long haul flight might be easier to recover from - but I could be way off mark here.
So my plan for our 5 nights is (not necessarily in this order):
- Day 1 (arrival around 7am) - explore the city, perhaps do a bike tour
- Day 2 Day trip up to My Rigi for the classic round trip (and some time at the thermal baths)
- Day 3 Day trip to the Black Forest area
- Day 4 Day trip to Colmar & Basel
- Day 5 Explore Zurich more, perhaps a boat ride to Rapperswil or the The Rhine Falls
Some things to note:
- We were in Switzerland last year for 5 nights and based ourselves in Lausanne (visited Geneva, Montreaux, Gruyere, Zermatt and Lucerne) and loved it.
- We're not going to have time to stay in the Black Forest on this trip hence one reason I thought Zurich may be a good base as we can do a day trip.
- Longer day trips don't faze us.
- It seems a shame to not see Zurich given we are flying into this city and have never been.
- Our next destination is the Mosel (flying Zurich to Cologne) region to give us a mix of city/countryside during out 5 week trip.
- We're not necessarily driven by the cost as we understand Zurich is expensive, but if it is the best base we'll work that into our budget.
So really I'm looking for some feedback on the above. Is Zurich really that bad? Or given the itinerary I'm thinking of above do you think Zurich will suit our purposes.
Happy to hear thoughts and suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Visiting Zurich
- 2 2 Week Europe Itinerary
- 3 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 4 Varenna to hotel near Milan airport
- 5 The DCC scam is spreading
- 6 Places to visit from Zurich
- 7 casusyazılım
- 8 Provence Hotel and Flights
- 9 5 nights in Granada and Malaga - what combo?
- 10 Shall I buy the travel plug in advance
- 11 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 12 Mallorca for 9 nights-best home base?
- 13 HELP: 3rd trip to France - where should I go?
- 14 Parentheses in France Phone Nos...will iPhone dial appropriately?
- 15 Driving itinerary, feedback wanted
- 16 Porto in January
- 17 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 18 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 19 First trip to Paris! (and Amsterdam)
- 20 Preliminary trip planning for Portugal April 2018
- 21 Advice needed re CDW for car rental in Ireland/N. Ireland
- 22 hotels in Reyjkavik
- 23 Greek Islands - Should we rent a car on Mykonos and Santorini?
- 24 Hotel Booking Discount!
- 25 TER ticket bought online -- good all day?