So it seems people really don't recommend staying in Zurich as a base or for more than a night. However hubby and I are considering using it as a base for 5 nights for our next Europe trip. We fly in from Perth, Aust and are mindful of not moving every 2-3 days. I also don't picture Zurich as being an overwhelming city (like I think of London or Paris) so the long haul flight might be easier to recover from - but I could be way off mark here.
So my plan for our 5 nights is (not necessarily in this order):
- Day 1 (arrival around 7am) - explore the city, perhaps do a bike tour
- Day 2 Day trip up to My Rigi for the classic round trip (and some time at the thermal baths)
- Day 3 Day trip to the Black Forest area
- Day 4 Day trip to Colmar & Basel
- Day 5 Explore Zurich more, perhaps a boat ride to Rapperswil or the The Rhine Falls
Some things to note:
- We were in Switzerland last year for 5 nights and based ourselves in Lausanne (visited Geneva, Montreaux, Gruyere, Zermatt and Lucerne) and loved it.
- We're not going to have time to stay in the Black Forest on this trip hence one reason I thought Zurich may be a good base as we can do a day trip.
- Longer day trips don't faze us.
- It seems a shame to not see Zurich given we are flying into this city and have never been.
- Our next destination is the Mosel (flying Zurich to Cologne) region to give us a mix of city/countryside during out 5 week trip.
- We're not necessarily driven by the cost as we understand Zurich is expensive, but if it is the best base we'll work that into our budget.
So really I'm looking for some feedback on the above. Is Zurich really that bad? Or given the itinerary I'm thinking of above do you think Zurich will suit our purposes.
Happy to hear thoughts and suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 2 Lonely Planet‘s Best in Europe list-your thoughts please
- 3 Seville to Cordoba
- 4 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 5 London Hotel - Different Request
- 6 Nice to Cinque Terre where to stay.
- 7 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 8 Paris Favorites (the 11th & wine regions)
- 9 Very British Neighborhood in London
- 10 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 11 London 6 day itinerary
- 12 Rome-Switzerland-Paris-Rome 2 week trip
- 13 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 14 Nightlife in Rome (Alone)
- 15 Kayak = Priceline and unavailable flights?
- 16 Our recent CDG experience (Delta)
- 17 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 18 Cycling Nice into Italy along the coast
- 19 Great Food restaurant, cafes, bars, aperitivo in Milan, Turin, Piedmont
- 20 Sim Cards
- 21 Paris then Italy? Or Greece?
- 22 London in Winter Report
- 23 Portugal rental car
- 24 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 25 Switzaly 2011: two sisters visit Zurich, Turin and Milan