So it seems people really don't recommend staying in Zurich as a base or for more than a night. However hubby and I are considering using it as a base for 5 nights for our next Europe trip. We fly in from Perth, Aust and are mindful of not moving every 2-3 days. I also don't picture Zurich as being an overwhelming city (like I think of London or Paris) so the long haul flight might be easier to recover from - but I could be way off mark here.
So my plan for our 5 nights is (not necessarily in this order):
- Day 1 (arrival around 7am) - explore the city, perhaps do a bike tour
- Day 2 Day trip up to My Rigi for the classic round trip (and some time at the thermal baths)
- Day 3 Day trip to the Black Forest area
- Day 4 Day trip to Colmar & Basel
- Day 5 Explore Zurich more, perhaps a boat ride to Rapperswil or the The Rhine Falls
Some things to note:
- We were in Switzerland last year for 5 nights and based ourselves in Lausanne (visited Geneva, Montreaux, Gruyere, Zermatt and Lucerne) and loved it.
- We're not going to have time to stay in the Black Forest on this trip hence one reason I thought Zurich may be a good base as we can do a day trip.
- Longer day trips don't faze us.
- It seems a shame to not see Zurich given we are flying into this city and have never been.
- Our next destination is the Mosel (flying Zurich to Cologne) region to give us a mix of city/countryside during out 5 week trip.
- We're not necessarily driven by the cost as we understand Zurich is expensive, but if it is the best base we'll work that into our budget.
So really I'm looking for some feedback on the above. Is Zurich really that bad? Or given the itinerary I'm thinking of above do you think Zurich will suit our purposes.
Happy to hear thoughts and suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spanish Language Immersion for young teenager in SPAIN
- 2 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 3 days and times when museums and suchlike close
- 4 If you had to choose one......
- 5 HELP PLEASE! Skiing in Zermatt this March
- 6 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 7 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 8 Train travel vs rental car in Slovenia and Croatia
- 9 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 10 Beginning Itinerary Guidance
- 11 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 12 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 13 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 14 Croatia and Montenegro Itinerary
- 15 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 16 1 week in winter. Where to go?
- 17 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 18 Ireland Trip Planning Advice
- 19 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 20 Sicily
- 21 Gertie in Greece NOW
- 22 Driver/Car Service Recommendation FCO- Pienza
- 23 car for four adults and four bikes
- 24 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 25 Cycling with KIDS - Dordogne, France, (Combiers) APRIL 2017