I just did a search of the Czech Republic and it seems that everyone thinks that the Czech Republic is only about Prague - don't get me wrong Prague is a beautiful city with lots to offer but it is only a tiny part of this great nation.
I would like to let you know about Znojmo. Sitting right in the South of Moravia on the border with Austria.
Very easy to get to, it is on the main Vienna to Prague road and the first town you come to when you go over the border.
There is so much to offer Wikipedia "Znojmo" and you can learn about the 77 wonders of this great little town.
It boasts the youngest National Park in Czech, which was closed throughout the communist times due to it's proximity to Austria, so for many year it remained totally untouched by human hands. It was quickly made a National park after the revolution and many trails for cyclists and hikers have been opened.
There are many historical buildings including the ducal rotunda of Saint Katherine, which contains the oldest fresco in the Czech Republic. These late 11th century paintings support the fact that the Znojmo dukes of that time were not mere local rulers but internationally active politicians, which of course does not agree with what Prague wants history to show.
Another reason to visit is the wine. Every year there are wine festivals from September onwards celebrating the different maturing stages of the wines.
In September there is the well known Vinobrani where copious amounts of burčak (grape juice which is just starting to ferment the approx. alcohol content is about 5% as compared to 11 - 14% wine) is quaffed along with historical processions, mediaeval markets, song, dance and fireworks. Various burčak festivals and weekends follow and a little later in October - November the Nouveau wines start to appear.
If you want a quieter holiday in an unspoiled region of the Czech Republic, where you don't have to be permanently on your guard for pickpockets "Czech" out Znojmo.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 2 Shorts in South of France?
- 3 Alsace Wine Route during Harvest
- 4 Camogli and surrounds
- 5 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 6 Comments on Apt Location in Madrid
- 7 Good mobile plan for traveller
- 8 Are DSLR cameras allowed for Papal Audience
- 9 Route des Vins
- 10 Which are the most beautiful tourist attractions, Tenerife Spain ?
- 11 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 12 Les Invalides Night Show
- 13 base for Andalucia
- 14 Any recommendations for a week trip in late October-early November?
- 15 Taxi or Aeroexpress from Domodedovo Airport to center of Moscow?
- 16 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 17 Trip Report - Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia & Herzegovina
- 18 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 19 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 20 Les bons plans de Whathello - St Tropez - Resto
- 21 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 22 limousine services - milan - rome
- 23 Regarding Residence Permit
- 24 Flight from Athens to Santorini- is this enough time?
- 25 Homesaty