I just did a search of the Czech Republic and it seems that everyone thinks that the Czech Republic is only about Prague - don't get me wrong Prague is a beautiful city with lots to offer but it is only a tiny part of this great nation.
I would like to let you know about Znojmo. Sitting right in the South of Moravia on the border with Austria.
Very easy to get to, it is on the main Vienna to Prague road and the first town you come to when you go over the border.
There is so much to offer Wikipedia "Znojmo" and you can learn about the 77 wonders of this great little town.
It boasts the youngest National Park in Czech, which was closed throughout the communist times due to it's proximity to Austria, so for many year it remained totally untouched by human hands. It was quickly made a National park after the revolution and many trails for cyclists and hikers have been opened.
There are many historical buildings including the ducal rotunda of Saint Katherine, which contains the oldest fresco in the Czech Republic. These late 11th century paintings support the fact that the Znojmo dukes of that time were not mere local rulers but internationally active politicians, which of course does not agree with what Prague wants history to show.
Another reason to visit is the wine. Every year there are wine festivals from September onwards celebrating the different maturing stages of the wines.
In September there is the well known Vinobrani where copious amounts of burčak (grape juice which is just starting to ferment the approx. alcohol content is about 5% as compared to 11 - 14% wine) is quaffed along with historical processions, mediaeval markets, song, dance and fireworks. Various burčak festivals and weekends follow and a little later in October - November the Nouveau wines start to appear.
If you want a quieter holiday in an unspoiled region of the Czech Republic, where you don't have to be permanently on your guard for pickpockets "Czech" out Znojmo.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 2 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 3 Climbing Ben Nevis in June
- 4 Cascais or Algarve?
- 5 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 6 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 7 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 8 Advice on car and getting around Aeolian Islands
- 9 Splitting 11 days between Amsterdam and Dubrovnik
- 10 Bergen Hotel -- near Port ?
- 11 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 12 Azores
- 13 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 14 Madrid, Barcelona and .....
- 15 roaming Prague...but for how long?
- 16 Scotland in 7 Days
- 17 Short Trip in July
- 18 Barcelona to Paris - Road trip in between?
- 19 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 20 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 21 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 22 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 23 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 24 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 25 Norway in a Nutshell - Travel Report