Many thanks for your help and advice for starters.
End of February 2012 I'm taking my wife for a skiing vacation for the first time, accompanied by three friends of ours. Having gone to St. Anton and Ischgl, I would like to do something different. And I have four candidates to choose from: Zermatt, Madonna di Campiglio, Cortina d'Ampezzo and Kitzbühel.
I would definitely prefer that the town be a classic purely traditional alpine skiing town, no fancy modern resort. My wife and a friend are beginners so the resorts needs to cater well to novices. The vicinity to a major airport would also be appreciated, we prefer not to lose time in transferring from one flight to another (and the added costs that go with it).
For the good or the bad, having done a bit of homework myself, I would like to note the pros and cons of the different candidates and get your tips as to which one would suit us the most:
Zermatt: Pro: Great for skiing Con: minimum 3 hours from the closest airport
Madonna di campiglio: Suggested by a friend, don't know of any cons Maybe the slopes are a bit too steep ?
Cortina d'Ampezzo: pro: great town con: too shishy perhaps ?
Kitzbühel: Lovely alpine town Con: Low on altitude, less snow in a bad year
Anyway, I've made great choices listening to friends in Fodor's so far, so I'm counting on you again!
All the best and many thanks!
Zermatt or Madonna di Campiglio or Cortina d'Ampezzo or Kitzbühel ?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Printing Paris Bus Routes --Kerouac, others?
- 2 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 3 People acting out Paris Metro Names
- 4 Naples - Hotel to stay for 2 nites
- 5 Toulouse and beyond -
- 6 Soccer/futbol in Madrid
- 7 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 8 Reims for a day
- 9 Apartment and Area to Stay in Istanbul
- 10 Any exciting towns South of Rome, Italy
- 11 Munich with a car?
- 12 day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 13 Abruzzo for 5 days
- 14 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 15 Barcelona to SW France to Madrid in 10 days
- 16 recommendations for budget hotels - West End, Covent Garden, Bloomsbury
- 17 Florence to Naples by car road trip ideas
- 18 poland to switzerland
- 19 Madrid or Toledo on May 1st - holiday
- 20 Online hotel reservation sites reliable?
- 21 First Solo Euro Trip -- August 2014
- 22 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 23 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 24 Day trip on the Rhine
- 25 October travel to Northern France--early or late?