Many thanks for your help and advice for starters.
End of February 2012 I'm taking my wife for a skiing vacation for the first time, accompanied by three friends of ours. Having gone to St. Anton and Ischgl, I would like to do something different. And I have four candidates to choose from: Zermatt, Madonna di Campiglio, Cortina d'Ampezzo and Kitzbühel.
I would definitely prefer that the town be a classic purely traditional alpine skiing town, no fancy modern resort. My wife and a friend are beginners so the resorts needs to cater well to novices. The vicinity to a major airport would also be appreciated, we prefer not to lose time in transferring from one flight to another (and the added costs that go with it).
For the good or the bad, having done a bit of homework myself, I would like to note the pros and cons of the different candidates and get your tips as to which one would suit us the most:
Zermatt: Pro: Great for skiing Con: minimum 3 hours from the closest airport
Madonna di campiglio: Suggested by a friend, don't know of any cons Maybe the slopes are a bit too steep ?
Cortina d'Ampezzo: pro: great town con: too shishy perhaps ?
Kitzbühel: Lovely alpine town Con: Low on altitude, less snow in a bad year
Anyway, I've made great choices listening to friends in Fodor's so far, so I'm counting on you again!
All the best and many thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hiking/Photographing the Black Forest
- 2 Alitala
- 3 Which Hotel in Rome
- 4 Clueless, planning trip to Scotland
- 5 Amalfi itinerary help needed
- 6 First Solo Adventure
- 7 Trains in Italy
- 8 Family Transportation from Heathrow- justairports or Express?
- 9 The Alhambra Private Tour Guide
- 10 Are you interested in visiting Iceland or you already have?
- 11 Travelling alone to Turkey @18
- 12 Georgia in 4 days
- 13 Where should I go with my family?
- 14 First Solo Adventure
- 15 Tasting sherry in Jerez
- 16 PARIS
- 17 Dordogne and Marseille: into the cave and out to the sea
- 18 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 19 Crete Holiday
- 20 Mid/late November: Tuscany or Andalucia? (1 week)
- 21 UK 5 weeks How Far Can We Go!
- 22 Arrival in Berlin on Christmas Day?
- 23 Just curious--why Airbnb?
- 24 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 25 Stu Tower
Zermatt or Madonna di Campiglio or Cortina d'Ampezzo or Kitzbühel ?