Many thanks for your help and advice for starters.
End of February 2012 I'm taking my wife for a skiing vacation for the first time, accompanied by three friends of ours. Having gone to St. Anton and Ischgl, I would like to do something different. And I have four candidates to choose from: Zermatt, Madonna di Campiglio, Cortina d'Ampezzo and Kitzbühel.
I would definitely prefer that the town be a classic purely traditional alpine skiing town, no fancy modern resort. My wife and a friend are beginners so the resorts needs to cater well to novices. The vicinity to a major airport would also be appreciated, we prefer not to lose time in transferring from one flight to another (and the added costs that go with it).
For the good or the bad, having done a bit of homework myself, I would like to note the pros and cons of the different candidates and get your tips as to which one would suit us the most:
Zermatt: Pro: Great for skiing Con: minimum 3 hours from the closest airport
Madonna di campiglio: Suggested by a friend, don't know of any cons Maybe the slopes are a bit too steep ?
Cortina d'Ampezzo: pro: great town con: too shishy perhaps ?
Kitzbühel: Lovely alpine town Con: Low on altitude, less snow in a bad year
Anyway, I've made great choices listening to friends in Fodor's so far, so I'm counting on you again!
All the best and many thanks!
Zermatt or Madonna di Campiglio or Cortina d'Ampezzo or Kitzbühel ?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 5 nights in Burgundy, with the kids
- 2 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 3 Renewing our vows in Venice
- 4 Sweet Home Triana: Spring Break in Seville's left bank
- 5 Southern Spain
- 6 Amsterdam, Germany, Paris in May 2015- coats needed?
- 7 3 days and 4 nights in Switzerland
- 8 Itinerary for Greece in 9 Days -in June
- 9 Short notice for input needed for Munich, Vienna, Prague and Berlin
- 10 16 Nights in Canary Islands & Spain
- 11 driving in france with kids
- 12 Is my plan ok
- 13 Paris/Prague/Budapest/Zagreb/Nice/Paris
- 14 Our first Europe Trip Planning
- 15 Portugal Trip
- 16 CROATIA - Split to Hvar Island ???
- 17 Different approach to 2-4-1 offers
- 18 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 19 London - Paris - Venice - Rome in 21 Days
- 20 Spain traffic tickets
- 21 Reputable Tours
- 22 London Experts - What do you think of this apartment?
- 23 Easter Itinerary Advice, Rome, Parma, Venice, Stresa, Grindelwald
- 24 Paris-Loire-Avignon-Barcelona itinerary (help)
- 25 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe