Many thanks for your help and advice for starters.
End of February 2012 I'm taking my wife for a skiing vacation for the first time, accompanied by three friends of ours. Having gone to St. Anton and Ischgl, I would like to do something different. And I have four candidates to choose from: Zermatt, Madonna di Campiglio, Cortina d'Ampezzo and Kitzbühel.
I would definitely prefer that the town be a classic purely traditional alpine skiing town, no fancy modern resort. My wife and a friend are beginners so the resorts needs to cater well to novices. The vicinity to a major airport would also be appreciated, we prefer not to lose time in transferring from one flight to another (and the added costs that go with it).
For the good or the bad, having done a bit of homework myself, I would like to note the pros and cons of the different candidates and get your tips as to which one would suit us the most:
Zermatt: Pro: Great for skiing Con: minimum 3 hours from the closest airport
Madonna di campiglio: Suggested by a friend, don't know of any cons Maybe the slopes are a bit too steep ?
Cortina d'Ampezzo: pro: great town con: too shishy perhaps ?
Kitzbühel: Lovely alpine town Con: Low on altitude, less snow in a bad year
Anyway, I've made great choices listening to friends in Fodor's so far, so I'm counting on you again!
All the best and many thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mon Dieu! The Cops Are After Me
- 2 Private Tour from Malaga to Seville
- 3 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 4 Is Eiffel tower closed from 25-31 Dec?
- 5 Not a good time to fly into LGW
- 6 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 7 Ideas for small group tour - Southern Spain
- 8 Another tipping question: concierges
- 9 Trip Ideas
- 10 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 11 Buying iDTGV tickets at a station
- 12 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 13 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 14 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 15 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 16 IRELAND Magical Time-lapse Mediation of County Kerry Ireland
- 17 Madrid and Granada in Jan
- 18 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 19 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 20 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 21 Spain in July
- 22 Acropolis Athens
- 23 Help!! 2 week Europe trip with 6 year old daughter in December!!
- 24 Travel options from Budapest to Zagreb
- 25 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
Zermatt or Madonna di Campiglio or Cortina d'Ampezzo or Kitzbühel ?