Many thanks for your help and advice for starters.
End of February 2012 I'm taking my wife for a skiing vacation for the first time, accompanied by three friends of ours. Having gone to St. Anton and Ischgl, I would like to do something different. And I have four candidates to choose from: Zermatt, Madonna di Campiglio, Cortina d'Ampezzo and Kitzbühel.
I would definitely prefer that the town be a classic purely traditional alpine skiing town, no fancy modern resort. My wife and a friend are beginners so the resorts needs to cater well to novices. The vicinity to a major airport would also be appreciated, we prefer not to lose time in transferring from one flight to another (and the added costs that go with it).
For the good or the bad, having done a bit of homework myself, I would like to note the pros and cons of the different candidates and get your tips as to which one would suit us the most:
Zermatt: Pro: Great for skiing Con: minimum 3 hours from the closest airport
Madonna di campiglio: Suggested by a friend, don't know of any cons Maybe the slopes are a bit too steep ?
Cortina d'Ampezzo: pro: great town con: too shishy perhaps ?
Kitzbühel: Lovely alpine town Con: Low on altitude, less snow in a bad year
Anyway, I've made great choices listening to friends in Fodor's so far, so I'm counting on you again!
All the best and many thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 2 9 days in London
- 3 Bedbugs in Paris.
- 4 "Best" train route Interlaken to Salzburg
- 5 Vatican Museums and Scavi Tour
- 6 Starting my Paris plan for May
- 7 Vacation near Lake Lugano and Lake Como
- 8 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 9 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 10 Lyon
- 11 Self drive tour companies
- 12 Italian lakes
- 13 Train tickets, Swiss pass or eurail
- 14 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 15 What do after Bernia Express?
- 16 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 17 Italian Honeymoon Advice
- 18 France, UK and Ireland
- 19 Driving Excursions/Day Trips outside of Edinburgh
- 20 French theater in Paris
- 21 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 22 Best way to learn a foreign language?
- 23 Major Ed van der Elsken show in Stedelijk Museum
- 24 Germany family road trip help!
- 25 Road trip from Naples to Basilicata, Puglia and Bari
Zermatt or Madonna di Campiglio or Cortina d'Ampezzo or Kitzbühel ?