Happy New Year, y'all!
After reading tons of posts and guidebooks, we've decided that next year's vacation will be Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, and Prague. We have about 2.5 weeks, probably in mid-late May, and hope to use public transportation for the most part. We want amazing scenery, historic architecture, a little art and classical music, and unique shopping and dining.
So here's what we propose for your expert critique! I've listed possible attractions as placeholders so we can make sure we've got enough time in each place, but we won't necessarily do those exact things on those exact days. At this point we're just trying to figure out how many nights we want in each city so we can decide where to fly in/out and book our hotels. We do not like short (1- or 2-night) stops, but we're willing to make an exception for Cesky Krumlov, especially since it breaks up the travel between cities. We haven't booked our airfare yet, so we could do this in reverse as well.
B day 1: arrive in Budapest (morning), walk off jetlag exploring the old town, opera house, view from Gellert Hill; sleep Budapest
B day 2: explore more of Budapest, possibly terror museum and baths, Danube river cruise; sleep Bud.
B day 3: more Budapest or daytrip to Szentendre; sleep Bud.
V day 4: depart for Vienna (2.5h train ride); spend afternoon exploring Vienna's cathedral, Schonbrunn palace; catch a concert at nite; sleep Vienna
V day 5: more Vienna: naschmarkt, Belvedere Palace, St. Michael's crypt, tour opera house; evening concert; sleep V.
V day 6: Hofburg Palace, more Vienna; concert; sleep V.
V day 7: Melks/Krems Danube daytrip (2h train/boat); sleep V.
S day 8: depart for Salzburg via Mauthausen concentration camp (2.5h train to M., 2h on to S.); sleep Salzburg
S day 9: Hellbrunn Castle, funicular to Hohensalzburg for views, marionnette theatre; sleep Salz.
S day 10: SOM tour (I think Bob's includes the Fuschl luge?), evening concert; sleep Salz.
S day 11: daytrip to St. Gilgen and St. Wolfgang, Schafberg, find the luge if we didn't get to do the one in Fuschl (2h on bus/train); sleep Salz.
S day 12: daytrip to Hallstatt and the ice caves (rent a car this day to reduce travel time to 3h); sleep Salz.
S day 13: daytrip to Berchtesgaden, salt mines, and Konigsee (2h on train/bus); sleep Salz
S day 14: more Salzbg in morning, catch Lobo/CK shuttle to Cesky Krumlov (3h); evening in CK; sleep CK
C day 15: Cesky Krumlov; Student Agency bus to Prague (3h); sleep Prague
P day 16: explore Prague old town, beer museum; sleep Pr.
P day 17: more Prague, music, food, and beer festivals, Prosek bobsled; sleep Pr.
P day 18: more Prague or daytrip to Terezin, Konopiste, Kutna Hora, or Karlstejn; sleep Pr.
day 19: depart for US
What do you think? Does it look reasonable? Anything you'd rearrange for better logistics?
Thanks so much for your help already!
your opinion on our central europe itinerary - does this sound reasonable?
Happy New Year, y'all!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best location for Prague hotel?
- 2 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 3 London hotel tax is 20%
- 4 Looking for a month long vacation rental in France
- 5 Which to fly into....Milan or Rome?
- 6 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 7 Regensburg or Cesky Krumlov for Two Nights
- 8 Blackpool Lights 2014: Tripping the Lights Fantastic in Northern England!
- 9 Paul Bocuse restaurant in Lyon
- 10 Prague Tour Guides and Castle Tickets
- 11 Amsterdam: arriving 8/25 to depart on 8/30 Rhine river cruise
- 12 Frankfurt Airport: 2 hours from touchdown to train. Go for it???
- 13 How do you organize yourself on vacation?
- 14 May in southern Italy--Sorrento/Capri and Puglia
- 15 Venice - boats on canals
- 16 ITALY
- 17 Paris first then where?
- 18 Forma Urbis Fragments in Capitoline Museum?
- 19 Maitaitom & Tracy's Romantic 20th Anniversary Paris 2014 Trip In September
- 20 Recommendation for a wine tour departing from Strasbourg.
- 21 Turkey 2015-Happy B-day to Me
- 22 Akrotiri Tours
- 23 Finalizing plans for September trip - is this doable
- 24 Which area in Venice for 3 nights
- 25 Switzerland--how is rain impacting hiking in engadines? sils maria?