My husband and I have 3 weeks holiday to travel from Christmas day to mid January. Unfortunately this is the usual holiday period for our respective employers and we cannot travel outside of these dates.
We have traveled to Europe in winter and have really enjoyed the Christmas markets and festivities.
This time, we will be traveling with our son who will be 14 months.
We have previously visited cities in France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Netherlands, Spain and the UK but all pre-child. We are happy to re-visit any of these countries or try new ones if they fit the bill.
We are really stuck in deciding where to go given there are so many options so we are looking to you all for your guidance.
What we are looking for:
- We would like to to stay in a maximum of 2 or 3 cities.
- We would like to be able to reach each of the cities with a direct train.
- Our son loves big crowds, festivals, events, food, parks and all the other things toddlers enjoy. We would love to stay in cities which have enough activity over this period during the day to keep us occupied.
- We love walking so a walking city (stroller friendly!) would be great.
- Cities which offer lots of day trip options would be desirable (but not necessary).
- Given it's winter, we would like to visit cities which offer toddler friendly indoor options as well (does this even exist?).
- At this stage we have an open budget for our holiday.
We appreciate that our itinerary will be limited given the weather and our little one but would appreciate your suggestions.
We look forward to hearing from you wise folk. Please no negative comments. Yes we know it will be cold but we cannot travel any other time. Yes we know it will be more difficult with a toddler but he has traveled overseas previously quite well and we wouldn't be the only ones in the world doing this.
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 2 Barcelona alternative
- 3 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 4 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 5 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 6 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 7 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 8 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 9 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 10 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 11 One last lunch in Rome - recommendations near Vatican City please
- 12 Paris to Italy
- 13 Spanish Medical Providers
- 14 Electrical Power Conversion
- 15 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 16 Douro Valley in January?
- 17 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 18 Greek Islands - Which to use as our base?
- 19 Switzerland Trip Report 7 Days September End
- 20 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 21 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 22 London Under the Path: Riding the Underground Mail Rail Line
- 23 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 24 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 25 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area