My husband and I have 3 weeks holiday to travel from Christmas day to mid January. Unfortunately this is the usual holiday period for our respective employers and we cannot travel outside of these dates.
We have traveled to Europe in winter and have really enjoyed the Christmas markets and festivities.
This time, we will be traveling with our son who will be 14 months.
We have previously visited cities in France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Netherlands, Spain and the UK but all pre-child. We are happy to re-visit any of these countries or try new ones if they fit the bill.
We are really stuck in deciding where to go given there are so many options so we are looking to you all for your guidance.
What we are looking for:
- We would like to to stay in a maximum of 2 or 3 cities.
- We would like to be able to reach each of the cities with a direct train.
- Our son loves big crowds, festivals, events, food, parks and all the other things toddlers enjoy. We would love to stay in cities which have enough activity over this period during the day to keep us occupied.
- We love walking so a walking city (stroller friendly!) would be great.
- Cities which offer lots of day trip options would be desirable (but not necessary).
- Given it's winter, we would like to visit cities which offer toddler friendly indoor options as well (does this even exist?).
- At this stage we have an open budget for our holiday.
We appreciate that our itinerary will be limited given the weather and our little one but would appreciate your suggestions.
We look forward to hearing from you wise folk. Please no negative comments. Yes we know it will be cold but we cannot travel any other time. Yes we know it will be more difficult with a toddler but he has traveled overseas previously quite well and we wouldn't be the only ones in the world doing this.
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 2 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 3 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 4 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 5 Paris Metro
- 6 A good book!!
- 7 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 8 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 9 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 10 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 11 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 12 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 13 If you had to choose one......
- 14 Italy and Switzerlan Travel Advice
- 15 CDG airport and connection time
- 16 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 17 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 18 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 19 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 20 How many nights to spend in Granada and Malaga & a few other questions
- 21 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 22 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 23 getting to CDG
- 24 Planning to visit Barcelona and Paris
- 25 Stop between Umbria and Firenze