Hi fellow Fodorites-
I went on a 1-week solo trip in mid-April this year to Northern Bavaria region (aka Franconia) and visited several towns including Nürnberg, Bayreuth, Bamberg & Würzburg.
The trip was wonderful, and I really enjoyed my visit in April for the following reasons:
1) LACK of tourists. For the most part, the tourists I saw are German-speaking. In Bayreuth, I think I was the only tourist in town. I didn't run into any Japanese tour groups until I reached Würzburg. I didn't even hear any American English until my last day in Frankfurt.
2) Beautiful weather. Spring has just arrived in Germany during that time of year. Everything in sight is blooming. Temperatures were 40s at night and high 60s during the day. Perfect!
3) Spargel season. I first had spargel (white asparagus) in Salzburg in 2003. Had them again in Antwerp in 2005. This time, I had it every day - I think. They are so fragrant and tender, just absolutely delicious.
Actual trip report to come...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train from Interlaken to Venice
- 2 Highclere Castle(Downton Abbey) tours, UK
- 3 Churches of the East Riding of Yorkshire
- 4 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 5 Advices about our itiniary
- 6 Oct vs Nov for Greece
- 7 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 8 Global Travel Warning...
- 9 Belgian govt terror alert: Avoid malls, concerts & trains
- 10 Private transportation
- 11 Glastonbury vs Bath
- 12 X-ray machines at train stations in Europe?
- 13 A week in Burgundy
- 14 Paris Under Seige...
- 15 Scotland itinerary, helm me with15 night itinerary
- 16 Dynamic Currency Conversion is Alive & Well in Paris
- 17 Italy AND Switzerland in 8 days
- 18 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 19 Scenic drives in Tuscany
- 20 Safety concerns?
- 21 Dublin Ireland Hotel Advice for early June
- 22 Sicily--Three Weeks in October--Winging It is Doable
- 23 St. Petersburg: Gosh, it's expensive
- 24 Must be the season of the witch: Nikki's autumn trip to London and Paris
- 25 Do i need a Swiss Half-fare travelcard?
yk's trip to Nürnberg, Bayreuth, Bamberg & Würzburg - with lots of spargel!
Hi fellow Fodorites-