Hi fellow Fodorites-
I went on a 1-week solo trip in mid-April this year to Northern Bavaria region (aka Franconia) and visited several towns including Nürnberg, Bayreuth, Bamberg & Würzburg.
The trip was wonderful, and I really enjoyed my visit in April for the following reasons:
1) LACK of tourists. For the most part, the tourists I saw are German-speaking. In Bayreuth, I think I was the only tourist in town. I didn't run into any Japanese tour groups until I reached Würzburg. I didn't even hear any American English until my last day in Frankfurt.
2) Beautiful weather. Spring has just arrived in Germany during that time of year. Everything in sight is blooming. Temperatures were 40s at night and high 60s during the day. Perfect!
3) Spargel season. I first had spargel (white asparagus) in Salzburg in 2003. Had them again in Antwerp in 2005. This time, I had it every day - I think. They are so fragrant and tender, just absolutely delicious.
Actual trip report to come...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ravenna Mosaics
- 2 What do you trust more: Booking or Tripadvisor?
- 3 What to shop for in Floeence, Chianti, Montalcino and CT
- 4 My 3 Day Umbrian Plan. What do you think?
- 5 Greece Itinerary
- 6 Poland, Czech, Slovak Summer Holiday
- 7 Berlin/Prague/Vienna/Budapest
- 8 Provins as a day trip from Paris
- 9 10 Days in Spain is this do-able or nuts?
- 10 Barcelona and coastal towns
- 11 evening of song and dance
- 12 Hallstatt to Salzburg- getting back transportation questions
- 13 Dinan or Avranches to visit Le Mont St. Michel?
- 14 Scotland Highlands Help
- 15 France 2016: Paris--Avignon--Provence--Nice
- 16 Bed & Breakfast in Ireland - need reservations?
- 17 Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland
- 18 Flaminco recommendations for Seville September 29 to October 1
- 19 Navigating the Swiss travel system
- 20 Amsterdam, Germany
- 21 Changing planes in Frankfurt
- 22 Naples or Genoa
- 23 Les bons plans de Whathello
- 24 I'm moving to Italy...one way or another
- 25 Day Trip Orleans to Provins, an Italian Hill Town in France
yk's trip to Nürnberg, Bayreuth, Bamberg & Würzburg - with lots of spargel!
Hi fellow Fodorites-