Hi fellow Fodorites-
I went on a 1-week solo trip in mid-April this year to Northern Bavaria region (aka Franconia) and visited several towns including Nürnberg, Bayreuth, Bamberg & Würzburg.
The trip was wonderful, and I really enjoyed my visit in April for the following reasons:
1) LACK of tourists. For the most part, the tourists I saw are German-speaking. In Bayreuth, I think I was the only tourist in town. I didn't run into any Japanese tour groups until I reached Würzburg. I didn't even hear any American English until my last day in Frankfurt.
2) Beautiful weather. Spring has just arrived in Germany during that time of year. Everything in sight is blooming. Temperatures were 40s at night and high 60s during the day. Perfect!
3) Spargel season. I first had spargel (white asparagus) in Salzburg in 2003. Had them again in Antwerp in 2005. This time, I had it every day - I think. They are so fragrant and tender, just absolutely delicious.
Actual trip report to come...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Greek ferry tickets and seat options
- 2 best shopping deals in paris and italy?
- 3 Need help for itineray for Paris, Monaco, Rome, Florence 12 -14 days
- 4 A Week In Athens - Trip Report
- 5 Do we need a car?
- 6 Transportation Options from CDG to the Louvre
- 7 Advice about Naples?
- 8 Last minute change to include Chester: should I?
- 9 Anne Frank House - new entry system advice
- 10 Wanted: Clever Travel Tips!
- 11 Best location for hotel in Milan for 2 nights
- 12 Nice-Barcelona-Valencia
- 13 3 days in Provence - Avignon, Arles, Aix, and the smaller Luberon Villages
- 14 Can I drive in Europe with a US license?
- 15 Europe Backpacking Itinerary: Feedback Appreciated!
- 16 Age limit for car rental?
- 17 tipping
- 18 Oberammergau and Fussen
- 19 Feedback on 3-Week Spain Itinerary
- 20 Italy Itinerary for 8 days
- 21 Giro d'Italia
- 22 Visiting Cornwall without a car?
- 23 April in Paris...with a Side of Bordeaux
- 24 Where to sleep in Manchester?
- 25 What is the French job 'Rectifieur (ouvrier)'?
yk's trip to Nürnberg, Bayreuth, Bamberg & Würzburg - with lots of spargel!
Hi fellow Fodorites-