I just returned from an 8-day solo trip to London, Brussels, Antwerp, Amsterdam, Delft, Den Haag, and Rotterdam. It was an excellent trip! I would like to thank all of you who have directly or indirectly assisted me in planning my trip, but in particular, I would like to thank Robyn (artstuff), Myriam, Tulips, and 111op.
Some of you may recall that I recently went on a trip to Paris & London in end of Feb with my boyfriend (BF). Unfortunately he couldn't take time off, so I went by myself (plus he was slowing me down anyway - just kidding)!
Inspiration for the trip
This trip was planned on short notice - just 4 weeks before I left. I wanted to go back to London to visit Courtauld, which I ran out of time in my last trip. I also wanted to revisit Rijksmuseum & Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. My last visit to Amsterdam and Brussels was in 1994 (also went to Bruges & Ghent that time), but I really don't remember much from that trip. Instead of going back to Bruges & Ghent, I decided to visit some place new - Antwerp, Delft, Den Haag, and Rotterdam.
This is a very much art-driven trip. I got interested in the Dutch Golden Age (Vermeer in particular), but also interested in the Old Masters, Flemish Primitives, as well as the "newer" artists like Magritte and Mondrian.
Before the trip, I tried to read up on these artists as much as possible. I bought a few books and borrowed some more from the library. Before I left, I had read about Vermeer, Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Bruegel the Elder, Magritte, and Escher.
I also checked on the web for special exhibitions and concerts and booked tickets for the ones I was interested in.
Before I continue on to the trip itself, I have to warn you: this was an extremely hectic trip. For those of you who felt my previous trip was too rushed, this was even worse. One of my friends who saw my trip itinerary (I posted it on my blog) described my trip as a "military campaign." I had so much packed into my itinerary that I had my daily activities planned down to the hour. Well, this is the way I want it to be (at least this time).
Read at your own risk!
May 19, Day 0
I flew AA from DFW - LGW. I picked the 777 flight which has more room through coach (MRTC) and individual seatback screen. I slept on and off for a total of 5 hours on this 9-hour flight. We arrived in London at 8:17am, 17 minutes late. It was raining in London.
yk's solo trip report: Museum-hopping in London, Brussels, Amsterdam, and so much more! 5/19-5/27/05
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help us plan our first trip to Italy
- 2 Madrid: Must Try Local Food & Drink
- 3 Question about Madrid to Toledo
- 4 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 5 Feedback on Gotland Medieval Festival
- 6 Chinese Tourists in Paris: Not Always Happy
- 7 Montmartre or St.Denis
- 8 Romania driving itinerary help needed
- 9 Rental car return -> Taxi at Barcelona Airport
- 10 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 11 Scotland Votes "No"
- 12 Planning 18 day euro trip HELP
- 13 Driving from milan to san vigiglio di Marebee .
- 14 paris apartment opinion airbnb
- 15 Olive Oil
- 16 iDTGV Sales Open for Travel December 14 to March 29
- 17 3 Months in Europe (25 April - 24 July 2015)
- 18 Norway and maybe Denmark
- 19 Airport advice- from NYC to French Alps, then onto Provence
- 20 french riviera
- 21 Itinerary update and request for help with side trip from Munich
- 22 Hey Fodor's
- 23 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 24 30 day Multi-Country Europe Trip in June- PLEASE HELP WITH ITINERARY!!!
- 25 lauterbrunnen-wengen 4 days