I just returned from an 8-day solo trip to London, Brussels, Antwerp, Amsterdam, Delft, Den Haag, and Rotterdam. It was an excellent trip! I would like to thank all of you who have directly or indirectly assisted me in planning my trip, but in particular, I would like to thank Robyn (artstuff), Myriam, Tulips, and 111op.
Some of you may recall that I recently went on a trip to Paris & London in end of Feb with my boyfriend (BF). Unfortunately he couldn't take time off, so I went by myself (plus he was slowing me down anyway - just kidding)!
Inspiration for the trip
This trip was planned on short notice - just 4 weeks before I left. I wanted to go back to London to visit Courtauld, which I ran out of time in my last trip. I also wanted to revisit Rijksmuseum & Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. My last visit to Amsterdam and Brussels was in 1994 (also went to Bruges & Ghent that time), but I really don't remember much from that trip. Instead of going back to Bruges & Ghent, I decided to visit some place new - Antwerp, Delft, Den Haag, and Rotterdam.
This is a very much art-driven trip. I got interested in the Dutch Golden Age (Vermeer in particular), but also interested in the Old Masters, Flemish Primitives, as well as the "newer" artists like Magritte and Mondrian.
Before the trip, I tried to read up on these artists as much as possible. I bought a few books and borrowed some more from the library. Before I left, I had read about Vermeer, Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Bruegel the Elder, Magritte, and Escher.
I also checked on the web for special exhibitions and concerts and booked tickets for the ones I was interested in.
Before I continue on to the trip itself, I have to warn you: this was an extremely hectic trip. For those of you who felt my previous trip was too rushed, this was even worse. One of my friends who saw my trip itinerary (I posted it on my blog) described my trip as a "military campaign." I had so much packed into my itinerary that I had my daily activities planned down to the hour. Well, this is the way I want it to be (at least this time).
Read at your own risk!
May 19, Day 0
I flew AA from DFW - LGW. I picked the 777 flight which has more room through coach (MRTC) and individual seatback screen. I slept on and off for a total of 5 hours on this 9-hour flight. We arrived in London at 8:17am, 17 minutes late. It was raining in London.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tracking the Weather
- 2 Thinking about the Fjords
- 3 Poland to Austria In December
- 4 Camping on the Tour of Mont Blanc
- 5 LHR Connection Time and Fast Track
- 6 Agriturismo or small hotel between Milan & Cinque Terre
- 7 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 8 Base in Rhine or Mosel?
- 9 Globus Iberian Tour
- 10 Drive from Lake Como to Venice
- 11 What are your St. Petersburg, Russia experiences?
- 12 base for Andalucia
- 13 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 14 Italy travel plan help
- 15 Northern Tucany / Southern Emilia-Romagna / Cinc Terre What to Do?
- 16 Help with Spain/Portugal itinerary 33 days
- 17 Support Barcelona, Brussels, Paris, etc
- 18 Budapest Card
- 19 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 20 Towns or hikes along Lake Lucerne
- 21 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 22 road trip through scotland
- 23 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 24 Loire Valley best place to linger
- 25 Requesting information about Flytolake/Lariobus
yk's solo trip report: Museum-hopping in London, Brussels, Amsterdam, and so much more! 5/19-5/27/05