I just returned from an 8-day solo trip to London, Brussels, Antwerp, Amsterdam, Delft, Den Haag, and Rotterdam. It was an excellent trip! I would like to thank all of you who have directly or indirectly assisted me in planning my trip, but in particular, I would like to thank Robyn (artstuff), Myriam, Tulips, and 111op.
Some of you may recall that I recently went on a trip to Paris & London in end of Feb with my boyfriend (BF). Unfortunately he couldn't take time off, so I went by myself (plus he was slowing me down anyway - just kidding)!
Inspiration for the trip
This trip was planned on short notice - just 4 weeks before I left. I wanted to go back to London to visit Courtauld, which I ran out of time in my last trip. I also wanted to revisit Rijksmuseum & Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. My last visit to Amsterdam and Brussels was in 1994 (also went to Bruges & Ghent that time), but I really don't remember much from that trip. Instead of going back to Bruges & Ghent, I decided to visit some place new - Antwerp, Delft, Den Haag, and Rotterdam.
This is a very much art-driven trip. I got interested in the Dutch Golden Age (Vermeer in particular), but also interested in the Old Masters, Flemish Primitives, as well as the "newer" artists like Magritte and Mondrian.
Before the trip, I tried to read up on these artists as much as possible. I bought a few books and borrowed some more from the library. Before I left, I had read about Vermeer, Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Bruegel the Elder, Magritte, and Escher.
I also checked on the web for special exhibitions and concerts and booked tickets for the ones I was interested in.
Before I continue on to the trip itself, I have to warn you: this was an extremely hectic trip. For those of you who felt my previous trip was too rushed, this was even worse. One of my friends who saw my trip itinerary (I posted it on my blog) described my trip as a "military campaign." I had so much packed into my itinerary that I had my daily activities planned down to the hour. Well, this is the way I want it to be (at least this time).
Read at your own risk!
May 19, Day 0
I flew AA from DFW - LGW. I picked the 777 flight which has more room through coach (MRTC) and individual seatback screen. I slept on and off for a total of 5 hours on this 9-hour flight. We arrived in London at 8:17am, 17 minutes late. It was raining in London.
yk's solo trip report: Museum-hopping in London, Brussels, Amsterdam, and so much more! 5/19-5/27/05
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cylades Island Hopping
- 2 Looking for advice on Christmas Market trip (Germany)
- 3 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 4 Italy dolomites
- 5 FCO-area hotel advice, family of 4 with young children
- 6 South of Spain in late September - cities/areas?
- 7 Crete, Rhodes... or?
- 8 Romantic France/Italy Countryside tour/itinerary
- 9 2 weeks in Barcelona and Swiss Apls
- 10 8 days en route to Salzburg - help me plan my itinerary!
- 11 Last-minute detour to Paris: a 4-day live trip report
- 12 Connecting flights. Customs/Security.
- 13 Airport ATMs
- 14 All Set To Go!!
- 15 Help! Italy & France and Italy-Two Weeks?
- 16 Condor Long-Haul Business Class
- 17 history museums or locations
- 18 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 19 22 year olds in Europe
- 20 Where to get best blue trout in Bavaria?
- 21 Toulouse & Paris Day Trips
- 22 Good times in Munich, the city
- 23 Why don't the French use shower curtains
- 24 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 25 One week in Spain, late May