I just returned from an 8-day solo trip to London, Brussels, Antwerp, Amsterdam, Delft, Den Haag, and Rotterdam. It was an excellent trip! I would like to thank all of you who have directly or indirectly assisted me in planning my trip, but in particular, I would like to thank Robyn (artstuff), Myriam, Tulips, and 111op.
Some of you may recall that I recently went on a trip to Paris & London in end of Feb with my boyfriend (BF). Unfortunately he couldn't take time off, so I went by myself (plus he was slowing me down anyway - just kidding)!
Inspiration for the trip
This trip was planned on short notice - just 4 weeks before I left. I wanted to go back to London to visit Courtauld, which I ran out of time in my last trip. I also wanted to revisit Rijksmuseum & Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. My last visit to Amsterdam and Brussels was in 1994 (also went to Bruges & Ghent that time), but I really don't remember much from that trip. Instead of going back to Bruges & Ghent, I decided to visit some place new - Antwerp, Delft, Den Haag, and Rotterdam.
This is a very much art-driven trip. I got interested in the Dutch Golden Age (Vermeer in particular), but also interested in the Old Masters, Flemish Primitives, as well as the "newer" artists like Magritte and Mondrian.
Before the trip, I tried to read up on these artists as much as possible. I bought a few books and borrowed some more from the library. Before I left, I had read about Vermeer, Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Bruegel the Elder, Magritte, and Escher.
I also checked on the web for special exhibitions and concerts and booked tickets for the ones I was interested in.
Before I continue on to the trip itself, I have to warn you: this was an extremely hectic trip. For those of you who felt my previous trip was too rushed, this was even worse. One of my friends who saw my trip itinerary (I posted it on my blog) described my trip as a "military campaign." I had so much packed into my itinerary that I had my daily activities planned down to the hour. Well, this is the way I want it to be (at least this time).
Read at your own risk!
May 19, Day 0
I flew AA from DFW - LGW. I picked the 777 flight which has more room through coach (MRTC) and individual seatback screen. I slept on and off for a total of 5 hours on this 9-hour flight. We arrived in London at 8:17am, 17 minutes late. It was raining in London.
yk's solo trip report: Museum-hopping in London, Brussels, Amsterdam, and so much more! 5/19-5/27/05
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Day trip to Rothenberg from Munich
- 2 Italy-Rome-Florence-Venice-CT-PievePelego-Help with order of travel
- 3 Ryanair Cabin Luggage
- 4 Eatwith - dine with locals
- 5 What still confounds you about travel?
- 6 Greece--Crete or Peloponnis?
- 7 Naxos Island: Best Way to Get Around?
- 8 Dining at the Eiffel Tower
- 9 Help with Itinerary please!!!!
- 10 Santorini
- 11 1 week in Switzerland with 18 year old son
- 12 Advice on Two Week Itinerary Please! (London,Paris,Luxembourg,Brussels)
- 13 Foie gras, redux
- 14 Must see in Dubrovnik
- 15 Questions for my German friends
- 16 Chip but no PIN
- 17 Planning first Solo Backpacking in Europe!
- 18 Best route from Pamukkale to Fethiye by car
- 19 Planning 17 days Italy - Switzerland - Germany
- 20 Advance Tickets Segrada Familia - Barcelona
- 21 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 22 Anyone been to Rhodes,Crete,etc. over Christmas?
- 23 Prague, Budapest & Croatia +Krakow?
- 24 Airport to Piraeus
- 25 Train to Airport in Venice