I am in the preliminary stages of planning ( as part of a longer trip) a week in northern Italy (Piedmont, Lombardy and the Veneto in early June. On my wish list are Lake Como/ Maggiore, (have visited this area before) Turin, Verona and Padua.
I would appreciate any thoughts on the following accommodation options . I am not, at this time, looking for suggestions of what to see as I have been researching and while I always have a long list of things to do and see, am trying to reach the point that if I see some great scenery and a couple of 'want to see' sites / churches/ museums etc then I have had a good visit so a day trip somewhere is fine with me.
I am flying in to Milan and possibly leaving for Ljubliana from Venice ( still looking at options)
What I am trying to decide is whether to base myself in Milan for the week ( apartment or hotel) and day trip out or move between two or three locations.
The pros and cons as I see it are:
With Milan as a base, i don't need to pack up and move so frequently and can move more freely without have to deal with luggage. But i would be training back and forth each day and not get to experience other towns 'after hours'
With moving bases, I would probably have 3-4 nights in the lakes , possibly 1 night Turin. 2 nights Verona or Padua and possibly 1 night Venice depending on transport to Ljubliana ( have been to Venice a number of times before and love it so even 1 night is a plus)
Thank you for any views you may have
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Buying iDTGV tickets at a station
- 2 Mon Dieu! The Cops Are After Me
- 3 Private Tour from Malaga to Seville
- 4 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 5 Is Eiffel tower closed from 25-31 Dec?
- 6 Not a good time to fly into LGW
- 7 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 8 Ideas for small group tour - Southern Spain
- 9 Another tipping question: concierges
- 10 Trip Ideas
- 11 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 12 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 13 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 14 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 15 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 16 IRELAND Magical Time-lapse Mediation of County Kerry Ireland
- 17 Madrid and Granada in Jan
- 18 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 19 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 20 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 21 Spain in July
- 22 Acropolis Athens
- 23 Help!! 2 week Europe trip with 6 year old daughter in December!!
- 24 Travel options from Budapest to Zagreb
- 25 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay