I am in the preliminary stages of planning ( as part of a longer trip) a week in northern Italy (Piedmont, Lombardy and the Veneto in early June. On my wish list are Lake Como/ Maggiore, (have visited this area before) Turin, Verona and Padua.
I would appreciate any thoughts on the following accommodation options . I am not, at this time, looking for suggestions of what to see as I have been researching and while I always have a long list of things to do and see, am trying to reach the point that if I see some great scenery and a couple of 'want to see' sites / churches/ museums etc then I have had a good visit so a day trip somewhere is fine with me.
I am flying in to Milan and possibly leaving for Ljubliana from Venice ( still looking at options)
What I am trying to decide is whether to base myself in Milan for the week ( apartment or hotel) and day trip out or move between two or three locations.
The pros and cons as I see it are:
With Milan as a base, i don't need to pack up and move so frequently and can move more freely without have to deal with luggage. But i would be training back and forth each day and not get to experience other towns 'after hours'
With moving bases, I would probably have 3-4 nights in the lakes , possibly 1 night Turin. 2 nights Verona or Padua and possibly 1 night Venice depending on transport to Ljubliana ( have been to Venice a number of times before and love it so even 1 night is a plus)
Thank you for any views you may have
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Van Crashes into crowded street in Barcelona
- 2 Black Forest base 7-10 days - public transport
- 3 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 4 Shorts in South of France?
- 5 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 6 Lario Bus or taxi at Linate?
- 7 Which Day?
- 8 barcelona neighborhood
- 9 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 10 Edinburgh Tattoo-2017-Tickets
- 11 Trip to Hungary, Croatia, Prague May 2018
- 12 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 13 First trip to Greece (last minute!)
- 14 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 15 Europe itinerary help!
- 16 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 17 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 18 Les Invalides Night Show
- 19 Berlin - Grouping attractions by location
- 20 What are your favorite restaurants in Prague? (+itinerary critique)
- 21 Best Greek Island
- 22 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 23 Advice for Honeymoon in Iceland (5 days)
- 24 Corsica and Sardinia
- 25 3 weeks italy itinerary