I am in the preliminary stages of planning ( as part of a longer trip) a week in northern Italy (Piedmont, Lombardy and the Veneto in early June. On my wish list are Lake Como/ Maggiore, (have visited this area before) Turin, Verona and Padua.
I would appreciate any thoughts on the following accommodation options . I am not, at this time, looking for suggestions of what to see as I have been researching and while I always have a long list of things to do and see, am trying to reach the point that if I see some great scenery and a couple of 'want to see' sites / churches/ museums etc then I have had a good visit so a day trip somewhere is fine with me.
I am flying in to Milan and possibly leaving for Ljubliana from Venice ( still looking at options)
What I am trying to decide is whether to base myself in Milan for the week ( apartment or hotel) and day trip out or move between two or three locations.
The pros and cons as I see it are:
With Milan as a base, i don't need to pack up and move so frequently and can move more freely without have to deal with luggage. But i would be training back and forth each day and not get to experience other towns 'after hours'
With moving bases, I would probably have 3-4 nights in the lakes , possibly 1 night Turin. 2 nights Verona or Padua and possibly 1 night Venice depending on transport to Ljubliana ( have been to Venice a number of times before and love it so even 1 night is a plus)
Thank you for any views you may have
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cordoba Overnight?
- 2 Scottish Heritage Pass v. Explorer Pass
- 3 Transferring from LCY to LHR . PLEASE HELP
- 4 lurento sports car rental - anyone?
- 5 How the kids age calculated
- 6 LHR airport and hotel pick up times for Justairports.com
- 7 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 8 Firt time VISA applicant
- 9 Uffizi Phone Number
- 10 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 11 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 12 Aix Provence
- 13 Sintra
- 14 Short stay London with Aussie kids or not?
- 15 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 16 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 17 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 18 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 19 Marseille vs. Genoa
- 20 Murren to Prague
- 21 Vegetarian Food in Spain & Portugal
- 22 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 23 Should I book my own guide for the Lourve and Versaille?
- 24 Ireland Trip Itenary
- 25 Springtime (Hopefully) in Copenhagen