I'm trying to figure out a good base for the westernmost portion of my upcoming trip.
Collioure looks so inviting, with good food, wine, scenery and hiking.
I don't want to hop from town to town, unpacking as I head east, so, would this be a good three night base from which to hike locally as well as take a road trip one day to a few of the Cathar castles and maybe even Carcassonne? Collioure looks like it's worth more than a quick day trip. I would have to do at least two nights here to visit it/hike it... if adding a third night makes a few Cathar castles viable I may just do that.
The other alternative is two nights Collioure, get in the car with luggage in the boot, visit the castles, sleep nearby, then on the road to Cassis after night three from wherever I happen to be that night. Which one would be more of a hassle?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 2 Stu Tower
- 3 Family Transportation from Heathrow- justairports or Express?
- 4 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 5 Trains in Italy
- 6 transportation from Prague to Cesky Krumlov
- 7 Tour or self drive Douro?
- 8 Which Hotel in Rome
- 9 PARIS
- 10 Clueless, planning trip to Scotland
- 11 Luggage questions for train travel in Italy.
- 12 Mid/late November: Tuscany or Andalucia? (1 week)
- 13 Where should I go with my family?
- 14 Just curious--why Airbnb?
- 15 First Solo Adventure
- 16 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 17 1st Time to Ireland - what to wear?
- 18 SE ITALY
- 19 First Solo Adventure
- 20 Crete Holiday
- 21 Honeymooning in Croatia - 2 weeks in August
- 22 Drive from Piedmont to Malpensa Qs?
- 23 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 24 Montreux Riviera public transport pass
- 25 Alitala
Would Collioure be an acceptable base for seeing a few Cathar castles?