I'm trying to figure out a good base for the westernmost portion of my upcoming trip.
Collioure looks so inviting, with good food, wine, scenery and hiking.
I don't want to hop from town to town, unpacking as I head east, so, would this be a good three night base from which to hike locally as well as take a road trip one day to a few of the Cathar castles and maybe even Carcassonne? Collioure looks like it's worth more than a quick day trip. I would have to do at least two nights here to visit it/hike it... if adding a third night makes a few Cathar castles viable I may just do that.
The other alternative is two nights Collioure, get in the car with luggage in the boot, visit the castles, sleep nearby, then on the road to Cassis after night three from wherever I happen to be that night. Which one would be more of a hassle?
Would Collioure be an acceptable base for seeing a few Cathar castles?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Granada
- 2 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 3 Rome bus tours-which one?
- 4 All Set To Go!!
- 5 Best Area to Stay in Amsterdam
- 6 For those interested in visiting WW I sites in France
- 7 First time Ireland trip
- 8 Side trip from Chamonix in January
- 9 Spain/EU trip in february "History,Nature is our main goal"
- 10 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 11 A month in Europe - how does this sound?
- 12 Hotels in Toulouse & Montpellier
- 13 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 14 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews
- 15 Renfe planning strike December 26th
- 16 Ireland, Honeymoon, early June 2015, active couple
- 17 22 year olds in Europe
- 18 Earthquakes in Tuscany
- 19 Tour Guide in Budapest
- 20 Caserta, Italy? Anyone Been There?
- 21 Istanbul Bosphorus Tour
- 22 Early stages of planning for Euro trip + would love suggestions
- 23 Coffee in Naples
- 24 A Sardinia trip report
- 25 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy