I'm trying to figure out a good base for the westernmost portion of my upcoming trip.
Collioure looks so inviting, with good food, wine, scenery and hiking.
I don't want to hop from town to town, unpacking as I head east, so, would this be a good three night base from which to hike locally as well as take a road trip one day to a few of the Cathar castles and maybe even Carcassonne? Collioure looks like it's worth more than a quick day trip. I would have to do at least two nights here to visit it/hike it... if adding a third night makes a few Cathar castles viable I may just do that.
The other alternative is two nights Collioure, get in the car with luggage in the boot, visit the castles, sleep nearby, then on the road to Cassis after night three from wherever I happen to be that night. Which one would be more of a hassle?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Flat in London
- 2 lurento sports car rental - anyone?
- 3 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 4 Exchange: pros & cons?
- 5 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 6 How early in the spring to visit London & England?
- 7 Transferring from LCY to LHR . PLEASE HELP
- 8 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 9 Another Venice question - first stop of first trip to Italy
- 10 Paris Navigo weekly Pass
- 11 Sunday and Monday in Provence area
- 12 Neighborhood for Dubrovnik
- 13 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 14 One night in Rome
- 15 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 16 Trip to Rome
- 17 Places to cover in Switzerland in 8-9 days & then 5-6 days in Austria
- 18 European Travel & Trivia Quiz #162
- 19 Itinerary Paris to Dordogne +/- Loire??
- 20 16 Days in Scotland in May with Our Two Boys
- 21 Parma/strasbourg or frankfurt???
- 22 Do you travel with linen clothes?
- 23 Moving Around Amalfi without a car
- 24 Scottish Heritage Pass v. Explorer Pass
- 25 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
Would Collioure be an acceptable base for seeing a few Cathar castles?