I'm trying to figure out a good base for the westernmost portion of my upcoming trip.
Collioure looks so inviting, with good food, wine, scenery and hiking.
I don't want to hop from town to town, unpacking as I head east, so, would this be a good three night base from which to hike locally as well as take a road trip one day to a few of the Cathar castles and maybe even Carcassonne? Collioure looks like it's worth more than a quick day trip. I would have to do at least two nights here to visit it/hike it... if adding a third night makes a few Cathar castles viable I may just do that.
The other alternative is two nights Collioure, get in the car with luggage in the boot, visit the castles, sleep nearby, then on the road to Cassis after night three from wherever I happen to be that night. Which one would be more of a hassle?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Need advice on Greek islands
- 2 Quickest way to get from Milan (airport) to Murren?
- 3 Portable WiFi Device in Poland
- 4 Switzerland Hotels
- 5 Train Route Help! France, Spain, Italy & Switzerland
- 6 Record breaking rain in Paris
- 7 Netflix and Hulu
- 8 Como or Bellagio
- 9 Best route Stratford to Chatsworth House
- 10 TAP airlines & other questions
- 11 Guidance on countries to visit in Europe
- 12 Need help on possible French train strike tomorrow (Wednesday)
- 13 ATM card woes in Dublin
- 14 Hi altitude limitations in Switzerland
- 15 Portugal, What did you love there ?
- 16 IRetiremenrt Fantasy-Italy
- 17 Paris hotels
- 18 Trying to decide on a Colmar hotel for 4 nights
- 19 Advice on Bethnal Green, Shoreditch area London
- 20 Advice please! 4 weeks in Europe Dec/Jan
- 21 Transportation from Budapest to Krakow
- 22 Bratislava to Budapest by Car May 2016
- 23 Antwerp Tram
- 24 Slomenice Castle
- 25 Amafi to Naples - private driver? Other options?
Would Collioure be an acceptable base for seeing a few Cathar castles?