Cheers from the capital of Winter Olympics 2014! My first day here is running. Got internet (read: got all that is needed). Had just filling free lunch in press-center and right now preparing myself for the evening ceremony. On whole, since our plane landed in Adler airport I'm receiving here positive impressions only. No bears and wild wolves here. Russians are affable and honestly speaking I even already got tired of their constant anxiety. The Olympic spirit definitely is in the air, I can feel it. If some of you still raise any concern on safety, believe... too much of security here. Video surveillance and police patrols are everywhere, as if I've stepped on the board of some Russian secret submarine. Looks like the only place I'm to hide myself from all those security measures is a toilet in my hotel room. Going even as far as to say that they hardly had something of alike in London two years ago. Russian put security at top of their Olympics. For examples to get in evening at ceremony, paving "press" right of access, I'm to pass at least 5 police and different security cordons! Later will add here the picture I made from my room in hotel @Swissotel Kamelia. Russian antiaircraft gun from here looks rather impressive.
WO 2014, Sochi. Day 1
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Taormina & Mt Etna
- 2 700 die off Italian coast in boat accident.
- 3 Transportation advice between Seville-Ronda, Granada-Cordoba
- 4 Russian Visa Question
- 5 travel insurance
- 6 St. Petersburg
- 7 Restaurants in San Sebastian
- 8 Private transfer from Oslo Cruise Port to the Airport with a half day tour
- 9 Student with no visa: Will I be denied re-entry into Germany???
- 10 10 nights in Southern Spain: Itinerary & Questions
- 11 Please suffer one more London travelcard question
- 12 Satisfying sweet tooth in Scotland
- 13 Taxi from CDG to Paris for 4. Cost?
- 14 TR- A jaunt to Paris March 15
- 15 Madrid
- 16 Stops on a 1 week car tour from Athens
- 17 hotel near Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen
- 18 Minimum age to rent a hotel or hostel room
- 19 Help for Last 3 days in Ireland!! One of these days is Dublin!!
- 20 Euro Travel Quiz - # 1-A
- 21 Athens, Greece, hotel recommendations
- 22 London, Vienna, Prague Trip Report -- Part 5 First Full Day in Vienna
- 23 Ideas on what to do for Granddaughter's 12th Birthday in London
- 24 travel in Spain or France from Barcelona or Madrid
- 25 Non-Crowded Europe in Mid-July