Cheers from the capital of Winter Olympics 2014! My first day here is running. Got internet (read: got all that is needed). Had just filling free lunch in press-center and right now preparing myself for the evening ceremony. On whole, since our plane landed in Adler airport I'm receiving here positive impressions only. No bears and wild wolves here. Russians are affable and honestly speaking I even already got tired of their constant anxiety. The Olympic spirit definitely is in the air, I can feel it. If some of you still raise any concern on safety, believe... too much of security here. Video surveillance and police patrols are everywhere, as if I've stepped on the board of some Russian secret submarine. Looks like the only place I'm to hide myself from all those security measures is a toilet in my hotel room. Going even as far as to say that they hardly had something of alike in London two years ago. Russian put security at top of their Olympics. For examples to get in evening at ceremony, paving "press" right of access, I'm to pass at least 5 police and different security cordons! Later will add here the picture I made from my room in hotel @Swissotel Kamelia. Russian antiaircraft gun from here looks rather impressive.
WO 2014, Sochi. Day 1
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 2 Hotels in Amsterdam and Paris @ less than 150 euros per night
- 3 For 20,000 Euros, carve your initials in the Roman Colosseum
- 4 Saxon and Norman churches in Northumbria
- 5 Eleanor's Pages
- 6 Hotels and locations in Barcelona
- 7 15 days in Europe from 15 Dec 2014 to 1st Jan 2015
- 8 Amsterdam for a few hours, would you?
- 9 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 10 Please help with Sicily Itinerary!
- 11 Tips for Chamonix in June?
- 12 Transportation ticket in Athens
- 13 Venice to ban wheeled suitcases
- 14 seeking travel tips in italy and crotia
- 15 Internet or travel agent?
- 16 Paris and where else?
- 17 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 18 Itinerary concerns, please help
- 19 Neighbourhood for longer stay in Lisbon?
- 20 Catalonia says it's going to have an independence referendum
- 21 Aran Islands in wintertime
- 22 Paris for the First Time – Need Suggestions for a Non-touristy Experience
- 23 Beware Hotel Henry IV on Place Dauphine, Paris
- 24 Trip report of our visit to Rioja
- 25 Christmas windows in Paris