I am travelling to Spain (Barcelona, Madrid) and Portugal (Lisbon) in February. I am trying to determine what the best winter travel apparel would be. I live on the east coast of Canada, where a normal winter day is 0 degrees to -10 degrees Celsius and very damp. On the colder days here, I typically wear a wool hip length peacoat with my normal clothing underneath and am comfortable in that, I tend to run on the warmer side.
I am backpacking and staying in hostels, so I am trying to pack as lightly as possible. I am thinking a mid-thigh trench coat with some water resistance and can layer accordingly underneath. I would of course bring mittens and scarves.
Will this be warm enough in that climate?
I am also wondering if it is acceptable to wear tights with boots while I am there, as they are the lightest to pack and easily dried.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Winter Travel Attire - Spain + Portugal
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Sigh....Swiss Pass HELP!
- 2 England, Scotland, Ireland, and France... Where do I start?! (three weeks)
- 3 Interesting travel scam article
- 4 Advice and suggestions welcome for 2 month trip
- 5 There Nights in London - Lodging, Tour, Places
- 6 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 7 10 days in England
- 8 A full week in The Netherlands
- 9 Rethymnon vs. Chania in early October?
- 10 Itinerey help for a 27 day trip to Europe for April of 2015
- 11 There Nights in Venice - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 12 Planning an itinerary in Southern France
- 13 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 14 Advice for first family trip to Europe
- 15 IRELAND - the driving is great: east to west, south to north!
- 16 Crete at Christmas-which 3 towns to base ourselves?
- 17 Need to get from ship to Venice airport
- 18 There Nights in Paris - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 19 British Plastic Shopping Bags All Have Holes in Them?
- 20 Favorite Views of Paris?
- 21 Drawing courses in Paris
- 22 Looking for add on city
- 23 Trip report/blog - 2 weeks in Amsterdam, Belgium, and South Africa
- 24 to take cash from USA or from ATMs in France?
- 25 restaurants / pubs near British museum / Bloomsbury