I am travelling to Spain (Barcelona, Madrid) and Portugal (Lisbon) in February. I am trying to determine what the best winter travel apparel would be. I live on the east coast of Canada, where a normal winter day is 0 degrees to -10 degrees Celsius and very damp. On the colder days here, I typically wear a wool hip length peacoat with my normal clothing underneath and am comfortable in that, I tend to run on the warmer side.
I am backpacking and staying in hostels, so I am trying to pack as lightly as possible. I am thinking a mid-thigh trench coat with some water resistance and can layer accordingly underneath. I would of course bring mittens and scarves.
Will this be warm enough in that climate?
I am also wondering if it is acceptable to wear tights with boots while I am there, as they are the lightest to pack and easily dried.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Driving in Italy?
- 2 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 3 Apartment & Location Recommendation in Paris
- 4 St Remy to Nice in Three Days?
- 5 Paris to Barcelona and Lourdes by train/car
- 6 Andalusia March 2 - March 11 Barcelona to Lisbon
- 7 Europe's Most Iconic Sights...???????
- 8 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 9 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 10 First time in Europe for 10 days! Help!
- 11 Shoes in Scotland
- 12 Engadine Valley help
- 13 driving the coastline of Croatia
- 14 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 15 Naples, Italy
- 16 Ireland in April
- 17 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 18 Is the Jacobite Steam Train worth it?
- 19 French restaurants
- 20 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 21 Tuscany 6 nights
- 22 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 23 Ireland travel passport question
- 24 Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
- 25 New Year's Eve in Paris:at the Champs Elysees