I am travelling to Spain (Barcelona, Madrid) and Portugal (Lisbon) in February. I am trying to determine what the best winter travel apparel would be. I live on the east coast of Canada, where a normal winter day is 0 degrees to -10 degrees Celsius and very damp. On the colder days here, I typically wear a wool hip length peacoat with my normal clothing underneath and am comfortable in that, I tend to run on the warmer side.
I am backpacking and staying in hostels, so I am trying to pack as lightly as possible. I am thinking a mid-thigh trench coat with some water resistance and can layer accordingly underneath. I would of course bring mittens and scarves.
Will this be warm enough in that climate?
I am also wondering if it is acceptable to wear tights with boots while I am there, as they are the lightest to pack and easily dried.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 visa expired
- 2 Where in Europe for 15 full days from 21 Oct to 6 Nov 2016?
- 3 written guide for Olympia
- 4 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 5 Lots of walking, amazing scenery & wine - 3 weeks France & Germany.
- 6 Catalonia: 14 days in September
- 7 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 8 Naxos hotel question
- 9 Another "Beware of Cab RipOff" Story
- 10 England and Wales by public transport
- 11 St. Moritz best intermediate skiing
- 12 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 13 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 14 Visiting Carcassonne without a car
- 15 Europe Itinerary
- 16 Letter from the Belgian Embassy
- 17 Loire Valley itinerary
- 18 Amsterdam/Indonesian restaurants
- 19 Is International Drivers Permit in Spain Required
- 20 Phone cards
- 21 St. Wolfgang/Hallstatt/Berchtesgaden from Salzburg
- 22 Oktoberfest 2016 What to expect
- 23 Pylos to Corinth with two days to spare, perhaps in Arcadia?
- 24 Is it safe to take train from CDG by 10 PM?
- 25 Transfer in CDG - claim our baggage & do passport control??