I am travelling to Spain (Barcelona, Madrid) and Portugal (Lisbon) in February. I am trying to determine what the best winter travel apparel would be. I live on the east coast of Canada, where a normal winter day is 0 degrees to -10 degrees Celsius and very damp. On the colder days here, I typically wear a wool hip length peacoat with my normal clothing underneath and am comfortable in that, I tend to run on the warmer side.
I am backpacking and staying in hostels, so I am trying to pack as lightly as possible. I am thinking a mid-thigh trench coat with some water resistance and can layer accordingly underneath. I would of course bring mittens and scarves.
Will this be warm enough in that climate?
I am also wondering if it is acceptable to wear tights with boots while I am there, as they are the lightest to pack and easily dried.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 One free day in Barcelona
- 2 Rome to Venice
- 3 Athens Help
- 4 November in Rome
- 5 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 6 Rouen or Rennes to pick up Rental Car
- 7 Whathello Paris
- 8 Bordeaux to Nice
- 9 Granada in April; add Malaga?
- 10 The Little Cyclades, Santorini, Vienna
- 11 Trains in Italy
- 12 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 13 Sicily help
- 14 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 15 Christmas markets
- 16 Help me decide which major city to cut based on time of year.
- 17 PARIS
- 18 Germany or Sweden
- 19 Alitala
- 20 Trip report: Paris-Bordeaux-Barcelona-Madrid
- 21 Is This SIM Mobile Computer Plan OK?
- 22 Lisbon: Stay in the city or nearby?
- 23 Germany vs Sweden nightlife
- 24 Trip For Physical, Intellectual, Emotional Exercize
- 25 Rome -- The next time around