I am travelling to Spain (Barcelona, Madrid) and Portugal (Lisbon) in February. I am trying to determine what the best winter travel apparel would be. I live on the east coast of Canada, where a normal winter day is 0 degrees to -10 degrees Celsius and very damp. On the colder days here, I typically wear a wool hip length peacoat with my normal clothing underneath and am comfortable in that, I tend to run on the warmer side.
I am backpacking and staying in hostels, so I am trying to pack as lightly as possible. I am thinking a mid-thigh trench coat with some water resistance and can layer accordingly underneath. I would of course bring mittens and scarves.
Will this be warm enough in that climate?
I am also wondering if it is acceptable to wear tights with boots while I am there, as they are the lightest to pack and easily dried.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best tour or day trip from EL Ferrol Spain
- 2 Porto, Galicia and Asturias (plus Leon) Hotel recommendations (??)
- 3 Visiting Zurich
- 4 Transportation/itinerary help from Rome cruise terminal
- 5 Paris in August
- 6 Help with Spain Itinerary
- 7 Spain, Portugal trip planning
- 8 Christmas in Spain
- 9 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 10 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 11 Train travel to and from Paris
- 12 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 13 Zadar or Sibenik
- 14 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 15 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 16 Bruges, Ghent or Brussels?
- 17 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 18 London, Brussels, France, Berner Oberland and Vienna (in 72 days)
- 19 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 20 Fabric Shops in Paris
- 21 Driving in Italy
- 22 Norway for 1 week, ideas for planning
- 23 One week road trip Santiago de Compostela-Lisbon itinerary advice needed
- 24 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 25 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping