I am travelling to Spain (Barcelona, Madrid) and Portugal (Lisbon) in February. I am trying to determine what the best winter travel apparel would be. I live on the east coast of Canada, where a normal winter day is 0 degrees to -10 degrees Celsius and very damp. On the colder days here, I typically wear a wool hip length peacoat with my normal clothing underneath and am comfortable in that, I tend to run on the warmer side.
I am backpacking and staying in hostels, so I am trying to pack as lightly as possible. I am thinking a mid-thigh trench coat with some water resistance and can layer accordingly underneath. I would of course bring mittens and scarves.
Will this be warm enough in that climate?
I am also wondering if it is acceptable to wear tights with boots while I am there, as they are the lightest to pack and easily dried.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Winter Travel Attire - Spain + Portugal
- 1 Stockholm hotel suggestions please!!!!
- 2 Belgium/Holland or Germany: Please help!
- 3 Need advice - Context Tours for Gallery Borghese & Vatican
- 4 best beach hotel Mykonos
- 5 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 6 Geneva/Graechen/Milan Driving in February
- 7 Spain Travel
- 8 NEW TO FODORS: Suggestions/Advice for 10 days in Europe
- 9 Venice in Jan
- 10 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 11 Public transport from Ostuni
- 12 Common practice to provide passport copies for apartment rental in Venice?
- 13 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 14 Itinerary Questions
- 15 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 16 at last an itinerary: feedback and hotel suggestions please
- 17 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 18 Bologna Restaurants open on Sunday?
- 19 Trip Report - Fringe Movements
- 20 Our Happy Return to Sunny Tuscany (plus a small bite of Bologna, too!)
- 21 A full week in The Netherlands
- 22 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 23 Photo trip report - Belgium/France/Germany
- 24 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 25 a week in Ireland over New year's