I am travelling to Spain (Barcelona, Madrid) and Portugal (Lisbon) in February. I am trying to determine what the best winter travel apparel would be. I live on the east coast of Canada, where a normal winter day is 0 degrees to -10 degrees Celsius and very damp. On the colder days here, I typically wear a wool hip length peacoat with my normal clothing underneath and am comfortable in that, I tend to run on the warmer side.
I am backpacking and staying in hostels, so I am trying to pack as lightly as possible. I am thinking a mid-thigh trench coat with some water resistance and can layer accordingly underneath. I would of course bring mittens and scarves.
Will this be warm enough in that climate?
I am also wondering if it is acceptable to wear tights with boots while I am there, as they are the lightest to pack and easily dried.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 To Varenna from Milan Malpensa: By car or by train?
- 2 Honeymoon trip to Europe - Would love your recommendations
- 3 Paris Looses $846 Million in Tourism
- 4 Northern Italy in mid-October
- 5 How to spend a glorious week in Switzerland?
- 6 Wine Harvest in Italy 2016 - when?
- 7 Age requirement for hotels in Europe
- 8 England and Wales by public transport
- 9 Our European adventures
- 10 Walking Scotland
- 11 Naples or Genoa
- 12 Cotswald boutique hotel recommendations
- 13 2 Nights in Bath, 1 Night in Ludlow - Itinerary Details
- 14 Were to stay near Lecce?
- 15 Travel WiFi - France
- 16 Tour ideas for Malaga, Spain
- 17 Just booked Athens & Santorini
- 18 Dublin Hotel Recommendations
- 19 Wine tasting in Santorini
- 20 Layover at Lisbon and trip to Sintra
- 21 Iceland Trip Report - Very Long!
- 22 Planning Advice!
- 23 How to divide 4 weeks of lakes and mountains with kids in Italy?
- 24 Greece in 15 Days
- 25 My Home Exchange Near Lake Como