I am travelling to Spain (Barcelona, Madrid) and Portugal (Lisbon) in February. I am trying to determine what the best winter travel apparel would be. I live on the east coast of Canada, where a normal winter day is 0 degrees to -10 degrees Celsius and very damp. On the colder days here, I typically wear a wool hip length peacoat with my normal clothing underneath and am comfortable in that, I tend to run on the warmer side.
I am backpacking and staying in hostels, so I am trying to pack as lightly as possible. I am thinking a mid-thigh trench coat with some water resistance and can layer accordingly underneath. I would of course bring mittens and scarves.
Will this be warm enough in that climate?
I am also wondering if it is acceptable to wear tights with boots while I am there, as they are the lightest to pack and easily dried.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 itinerary Help? 2 weeks in Scandinavia
- 2 April in Paris...with a Side of Bordeaux
- 3 Itinerary help - Sweden and Norway (June-July)
- 4 Alsace Accommodations
- 5 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 6 Tips question
- 7 When neurotic people plan vacations
- 8 CDG airport, 2 tickets
- 9 Sorrento or Positano
- 10 tipping
- 11 Advice about Naples?
- 12 Wanted: Clever Travel Tips!
- 13 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 14 Gstaad, trip for 2 days
- 15 Germany "Riddled with Crime"?
- 16 Relaxing destinations?
- 17 What clothes?
- 18 Airport Transfer Vienna
- 19 Can I drive in Europe with a US license?
- 20 Florence-Uffizi and Accademia guided tour
- 21 Where to stay in lavender country in Provence?
- 22 What is the French job 'Rectifieur (ouvrier)'?
- 23 Need help with logistics for visit to Dordogne area, please.
- 24 Feedback on 3-Week Spain Itinerary
- 25 Edinburgh Conference Centre, Riccarton -- nearby hotels?