I am travelling to Spain (Barcelona, Madrid) and Portugal (Lisbon) in February. I am trying to determine what the best winter travel apparel would be. I live on the east coast of Canada, where a normal winter day is 0 degrees to -10 degrees Celsius and very damp. On the colder days here, I typically wear a wool hip length peacoat with my normal clothing underneath and am comfortable in that, I tend to run on the warmer side.
I am backpacking and staying in hostels, so I am trying to pack as lightly as possible. I am thinking a mid-thigh trench coat with some water resistance and can layer accordingly underneath. I would of course bring mittens and scarves.
Will this be warm enough in that climate?
I am also wondering if it is acceptable to wear tights with boots while I am there, as they are the lightest to pack and easily dried.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Planning on taking the train in Germany? Better have a backup plan.
- 2 Norway in a NutShell via Car/Boat
- 3 3.5 days Itinerary in Switzerland
- 4 buying Eruos in advance
- 5 Traveling alone to France, Netherlands and Germany!
- 6 Seeking a special place in France
- 7 Comment on my Sicily Plan
- 8 2 week Scandinavia Trip
- 9 Hotel recommendation - Frankfurt Airport
- 10 Perugia Italy driving
- 11 Malta or Gozo?
- 12 Taking wine home from France
- 13 1st Eurotrip Itinerary - 12 days Backpacking in Europe
- 14 Why should I go to Norway in Oct?
- 15 Paris Metro Question
- 16 booking the ferry from Salerno to Positano
- 17 Monte Faito cable car (near Sorrento)
- 18 Getting to Giverny
- 19 Alhambra - July Afternoon tickets: Audioguide Q + Planning the afternoon
- 20 Organic/Natural Perfumerie in Paris?
- 21 Spring in Spain: Crawling up Mallorca; Pushing Through Toledo
- 22 Trip Report: a Week at Italian School in Verona
- 23 Costa Brava on way Girona to Barcelona
- 24 Train Travel: Paris to Boppard Germany
- 25 Italy train travel question