I don't even know where to start... We have been dreaming about an 8 week trip to France & Italy for 10 years, it is almost here, and I'm stumbling with my planning after reading many, many reports of how crowded and hot Italy will be. Our trip will need to be during the summer since I'm not up for the task of homeschooling my 7 & 9 year old children.
I guess I was naive going into this. We spent 2 1/2 weeks in Provence & on the Cote D'Azur in July and I have no memories of it being hot or crowded. I don't know if it was a particularly lovely year, if I'm in denial, or if Italy is way more hot and crowded than France.
I have booked the first 6 weeks of the trip: the first 4 weeks in France, a week in Chianti and a week split between Florence and Venice. 3 of the France weeks are in the country or on the coast, as cities are obviously less appealing this time of year.
For our week 7 location, the area that most appeals to me is the Amalfi Coast, but I've read so many reports of how miserable it will be this time of year based on crowds and heat.
I'm having a hard time getting excited about the Lakes, but that would be my second choice. In any case, I also hear that the Lakes are miserably crowded. (I know there are at least 3 lakes in the region and they are large and I am generalizing, but since it isn't my first choice, I haven't done extensive research on this area.)
If you were forced to be in Italy in August, would you choose somewhere in the Lakes or the Amalfi Coast? Or if your answer is a strong "neither!", do you have another idea for me? I have skimmed an entire Italy guide book and nothing else (besides Lakes & Amalfi Coast) jumped out at me. I mean, I would love to see ALL of Italy, really, but specifically for week 7 of this trip, nothing else seemed as appealing as the 2 areas I'm asking about here.
In case this influences your advice, we would hope to rent a house or apartment, and so we would like to stay in one place for the whole week, both because most places require this, and to cut down on the packing and unpacking.
Oh, we'll be ending in Rome, since we fly out of FCO, so I'd love to be on the water somewhere for our next-to-last week. (Even a rocky beach; every time I mention the rocky beaches to my husband as a negative my son calls out "I love rocky beaches!")
Thank you so much! You have no idea how much information I have gotten from you all!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 24 hours in Zurich
- 2 Paris- 1 B.R. APT.
- 3 One day on the Amalfi coast
- 4 Another tipping question: concierges
- 5 Summer Travel order
- 6 Beautiful Ireland: a 3-week solo journey.
- 7 Overnight trip from Barcelona
- 8 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 9 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 10 Trip suggestion
- 11 Copenhagen to Stockholm
- 12 Northern Italy with 2 kids itinerary help
- 13 I need help deciding ASAP!
- 14 Places to visit during a semester in Spain
- 15 Spain in July
- 16 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 17 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 18 Dijon in December!
- 19 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 20 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 21 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 22 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 23 Krakow or Warsaw?
- 24 Island Hopping in the Cyclades
- 25 Travel insurance for Dutch residents question