I don't even know where to start... We have been dreaming about an 8 week trip to France & Italy for 10 years, it is almost here, and I'm stumbling with my planning after reading many, many reports of how crowded and hot Italy will be. Our trip will need to be during the summer since I'm not up for the task of homeschooling my 7 & 9 year old children.
I guess I was naive going into this. We spent 2 1/2 weeks in Provence & on the Cote D'Azur in July and I have no memories of it being hot or crowded. I don't know if it was a particularly lovely year, if I'm in denial, or if Italy is way more hot and crowded than France.
I have booked the first 6 weeks of the trip: the first 4 weeks in France, a week in Chianti and a week split between Florence and Venice. 3 of the France weeks are in the country or on the coast, as cities are obviously less appealing this time of year.
For our week 7 location, the area that most appeals to me is the Amalfi Coast, but I've read so many reports of how miserable it will be this time of year based on crowds and heat.
I'm having a hard time getting excited about the Lakes, but that would be my second choice. In any case, I also hear that the Lakes are miserably crowded. (I know there are at least 3 lakes in the region and they are large and I am generalizing, but since it isn't my first choice, I haven't done extensive research on this area.)
If you were forced to be in Italy in August, would you choose somewhere in the Lakes or the Amalfi Coast? Or if your answer is a strong "neither!", do you have another idea for me? I have skimmed an entire Italy guide book and nothing else (besides Lakes & Amalfi Coast) jumped out at me. I mean, I would love to see ALL of Italy, really, but specifically for week 7 of this trip, nothing else seemed as appealing as the 2 areas I'm asking about here.
In case this influences your advice, we would hope to rent a house or apartment, and so we would like to stay in one place for the whole week, both because most places require this, and to cut down on the packing and unpacking.
Oh, we'll be ending in Rome, since we fly out of FCO, so I'd love to be on the water somewhere for our next-to-last week. (Even a rocky beach; every time I mention the rocky beaches to my husband as a negative my son calls out "I love rocky beaches!")
Thank you so much! You have no idea how much information I have gotten from you all!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 2 No Train On Kings Day Amsterdam?
- 3 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 4 House Hunting in France
- 5 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 6 Itinerary Tweaking
- 7 Itinerary Help
- 8 Life on the Farm Draws Some French
- 9 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 10 Hotel in Vienna
- 11 Spain-Portugal family trip. car or train ?
- 12 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 13 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 14 Lyon and Paris (and Provence vs Dijon?)
- 15 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 16 Amalfi Coast help
- 17 days and times when museums and suchlike close
- 18 kimhe or others - flamenco rec in Sevilla?
- 19 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 20 Scandinavia in mid-March 2.5 weeks
- 21 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 22 Help with Tuscany villa that is a walk to town/restaurants
- 23 Tuscany Day Trip Ideas?
- 24 Dolomites to Switzerland or Austria? Can't decide!
- 25 If you had to choose one......