I don't even know where to start... We have been dreaming about an 8 week trip to France & Italy for 10 years, it is almost here, and I'm stumbling with my planning after reading many, many reports of how crowded and hot Italy will be. Our trip will need to be during the summer since I'm not up for the task of homeschooling my 7 & 9 year old children.
I guess I was naive going into this. We spent 2 1/2 weeks in Provence & on the Cote D'Azur in July and I have no memories of it being hot or crowded. I don't know if it was a particularly lovely year, if I'm in denial, or if Italy is way more hot and crowded than France.
I have booked the first 6 weeks of the trip: the first 4 weeks in France, a week in Chianti and a week split between Florence and Venice. 3 of the France weeks are in the country or on the coast, as cities are obviously less appealing this time of year.
For our week 7 location, the area that most appeals to me is the Amalfi Coast, but I've read so many reports of how miserable it will be this time of year based on crowds and heat.
I'm having a hard time getting excited about the Lakes, but that would be my second choice. In any case, I also hear that the Lakes are miserably crowded. (I know there are at least 3 lakes in the region and they are large and I am generalizing, but since it isn't my first choice, I haven't done extensive research on this area.)
If you were forced to be in Italy in August, would you choose somewhere in the Lakes or the Amalfi Coast? Or if your answer is a strong "neither!", do you have another idea for me? I have skimmed an entire Italy guide book and nothing else (besides Lakes & Amalfi Coast) jumped out at me. I mean, I would love to see ALL of Italy, really, but specifically for week 7 of this trip, nothing else seemed as appealing as the 2 areas I'm asking about here.
In case this influences your advice, we would hope to rent a house or apartment, and so we would like to stay in one place for the whole week, both because most places require this, and to cut down on the packing and unpacking.
Oh, we'll be ending in Rome, since we fly out of FCO, so I'd love to be on the water somewhere for our next-to-last week. (Even a rocky beach; every time I mention the rocky beaches to my husband as a negative my son calls out "I love rocky beaches!")
Thank you so much! You have no idea how much information I have gotten from you all!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 2 Italy/Croatia Potential Itinerary Advice?
- 3 Barcelona
- 4 "Never Mind"
- 5 Connecting flight time in Europe
- 6 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 7 Six Days on the Road in Ireland...Ideas?
- 8 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 9 Germany family road trip help!
- 10 Well with itinerary North East Italy (again please!)
- 11 How many nights in Verona and Bologna?
- 12 Route/guide book request for Italy
- 13 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 14 Trump alleged to be "keen" for US to join Commonwealth
- 15 New York Kennedy to Rome Fiumicino Airport Terminals Clarification
- 16 Comments on locations/sestieri, please
- 17 Semana Santa Other than Sevilla
- 18 Italy and Croatia in 20 days - I need a rough itinerary please
- 19 who is in amsterdam?
- 20 3 weeks in Central/Eastern Europe
- 21 3 nights Santorini suggestions with a child- is akrotiri a good location?
- 22 Day Planning Help Required ..
- 23 Looking for suggestions car trip starting Amsterdam to nice
- 24 GERMANY, MID-RHINE & MUNICH
- 25 'Brellies on "Standby." Dublin!