renting a compact Ford Focus with a manual transmission for 15 days in Ireland will cost around $570. The insurance will cost an additional $550 for a total of around $1100. If I were to get a car with an automatic trans. it would cost an extra $500. I don't understand why this has to be so expensive. Is the insurance so high because they figure you're probably going to be damaging the car or have it stolen? I understand the streets are narrow and you might lose a mirror or 2 but come on!! I could buy a Ford Focus for that price here in the States. To get to where we want to go when we want to go will necessitate renting a car. I just want to understand why so expensive.
why are rental cars so expensive?
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Florence in October
- 2 Northern Italy Honeymoon- Alps and Italian Favorites
- 3 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 4 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 5 first european holiday itinery
- 6 Where to stay in Copenhagen
- 7 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 8 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 9 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 10 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 11 7 days in Andalucia
- 12 Going to Puglia, I hope
- 13 To Paris and Provence in June
- 14 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 15 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 16 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 17 London at Easter
- 18 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 19 Health Resort & Medical Spa Panorama Morska Jarosławiec
- 20 Manchester UK-good place for a Thanksgiving dinner?
- 21 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 22 Advice on relocating to Italy?
- 23 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 24 Moscow AND St Petersburg
- 25 Moscow transportation from Domodedovo airport