Having had my plans to go to Germany for 10 days or so in May blown out of the water by my DH, [who has decided he'd rather go skiing in April with his rambling group] I have decided to use the time to spend a week in Italy trying to improve my italian, which after some initial success [GCSE 2 years ago, AS level last year] has rather hit the buffers.
Taking advantage of some nice low fares, for £50 each way, I fly into Pisa on Sunday 8th May, and out again on Wed 18th, the plan being to spend the last 4 days in/around Florence practising my new language skills.
so now all I have to do it to find a language school!
having taken on board Franco's comments, all those i have enquired about are in or around Florence, where the best italian is spoken. they range from a traditional school in the centre of Florence to a week with a teacher in his home on a one to one basis.
these are the ones which have replied:
This is the traditional language school in the centre of Florence. it offers 4 hours of group tuition in the mornings and 1-2 hours of private lessons/cultural and social activities in the afternoons. I suspect that it is aimed mainly at "younger" people; they have a 2 week course specifically for the over 50s, but i don't have two weeks. i could stay with a family on a half-pension basis to increase the language experiences. this is the "safe" option.
this one is based in Orbettelo on the coast between Pisa and Rome, and i could combine language study in the morning with wine/cuisine in the afternoons. the town looks lovely and the classes are small - a max of 6 - who are likely to be "older" like me. I could also stay with a family. Would i get the same chance to learn Italian though?
this is the most expensive option, but I would be staying in Chianti on a full-board basis with lessons in the morning and activities in the afternoons, all in Italian. [total immersion in fact] there would only be one or two other people involved, so hopefully i would learn a lot. again, the other students would likely be more my age.
As i am unlikely to get this chance again, if it delivered what it promises, it might be worth it.
i wasn't too impressed with this the first time, but on a 2nd reading, it grew on me. it looks more personal than the school in florence, and it's certainly convenient. Again, I could stay with a family, and they offer .
this attracted me at first, but I'm a bit dubious as a solo female traveller staying alone with an unknown bloke. I am absolutely not suggesting that he's anything other than he says, but apart from anything else, if we didn't get on, it could be a miserable week. I suspect that he would better suit a small group or a couple.
so that's it. I'm assuming that they are all qualified teachers and that they are all capable of delivering what they promise.
anyone got any experience of picking a language school or any other comments?
any/all help gratefully received.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 flying into Lyon..have 10 days
- 2 Dr Manahel Thabet- Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 3 La Cite du Vin, has anyone visited ?
- 4 ATM skimmer - good example of a traveler finding one in Vienna
- 5 Quaint Towns within 2hr Driving from Amsterdam
- 6 Searching for beach town in Amalfi area for summer holiday
- 7 Switzerland Itinerary - cheese making?
- 8 5 Ladies, 4 Destinations and 1 Month
- 9 Cote d'Azur & Provence Itinerary - Stu Dudley's new/revised edition
- 10 Lisbon Airport - A Huge Mess
- 11 Itinerary Help - 5 weeks Spain and Portugal Cities
- 12 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 13 Calling Flamenco fans including Kimhe
- 14 4 weeks in Italy July with children
- 15 Ballet Bolshoi
- 16 Belgian airports
- 17 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 18 4 days driving holiday to rural North England.
- 19 Any experience with these three private guides for the Alhambra?
- 20 Greece Travel Advice
- 21 Monti in Rome, your thoughts please
- 22 European Championship
- 23 Can't go to Ravello so....where?
- 24 Honeymoon hotel in Montreux/Vevey
- 25 Charles De Gualle Airport, Paris to Eiffel Tower