Having had my plans to go to Germany for 10 days or so in May blown out of the water by my DH, [who has decided he'd rather go skiing in April with his rambling group] I have decided to use the time to spend a week in Italy trying to improve my italian, which after some initial success [GCSE 2 years ago, AS level last year] has rather hit the buffers.
Taking advantage of some nice low fares, for £50 each way, I fly into Pisa on Sunday 8th May, and out again on Wed 18th, the plan being to spend the last 4 days in/around Florence practising my new language skills.
so now all I have to do it to find a language school!
having taken on board Franco's comments, all those i have enquired about are in or around Florence, where the best italian is spoken. they range from a traditional school in the centre of Florence to a week with a teacher in his home on a one to one basis.
these are the ones which have replied:
This is the traditional language school in the centre of Florence. it offers 4 hours of group tuition in the mornings and 1-2 hours of private lessons/cultural and social activities in the afternoons. I suspect that it is aimed mainly at "younger" people; they have a 2 week course specifically for the over 50s, but i don't have two weeks. i could stay with a family on a half-pension basis to increase the language experiences. this is the "safe" option.
this one is based in Orbettelo on the coast between Pisa and Rome, and i could combine language study in the morning with wine/cuisine in the afternoons. the town looks lovely and the classes are small - a max of 6 - who are likely to be "older" like me. I could also stay with a family. Would i get the same chance to learn Italian though?
this is the most expensive option, but I would be staying in Chianti on a full-board basis with lessons in the morning and activities in the afternoons, all in Italian. [total immersion in fact] there would only be one or two other people involved, so hopefully i would learn a lot. again, the other students would likely be more my age.
As i am unlikely to get this chance again, if it delivered what it promises, it might be worth it.
i wasn't too impressed with this the first time, but on a 2nd reading, it grew on me. it looks more personal than the school in florence, and it's certainly convenient. Again, I could stay with a family, and they offer .
this attracted me at first, but I'm a bit dubious as a solo female traveller staying alone with an unknown bloke. I am absolutely not suggesting that he's anything other than he says, but apart from anything else, if we didn't get on, it could be a miserable week. I suspect that he would better suit a small group or a couple.
so that's it. I'm assuming that they are all qualified teachers and that they are all capable of delivering what they promise.
anyone got any experience of picking a language school or any other comments?
any/all help gratefully received.
which language school in Italy?
- 1 2 days in Venice- where to stay –What to do- Help please!
- 2 If you could go anywhere in Italy......
- 3 Bus from Sorrento to Naples Airport
- 4 Santorini-Nafplio-Delphi-Athens Help
- 5 Netherland -> belgium -> Germany (Rhine Valley)
- 6 Alsace question. Itterswiller or Riquewihr, where to stay?
- 7 2 weeks in Copenhagen-Helsinki-Stockholm
- 8 Slovenia/Northern Croatia in mid-August - hotel and other advice?
- 9 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 10 Italy - Business+Pleasure - 12 days - driving tips and places to see
- 11 Where to take parents in Italy?
- 12 Which tour company would be best?
- 13 London Itinerary Advice 6-10 September
- 14 Rome: Avoiding the long Colosseum ticket line/queue: Palatine Hill ticket office locations
- 15 Where to eat and visit in Barcelona + Venice June 2013
- 16 florence hotel
- 17 One way car rental Lisbon to Bordeaux
- 18 Renfi for Rail Europe
- 19 Conil de la Frontera, Spain
- 20 10 day honeymoon in Italy in Nov
- 21 Cell Phone for Italy travel
- 22 Local Living Rome- G adventures
- 23 Train - rental car - Cortona
- 24 My Journey Through Europe
- 25 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy