Having had my plans to go to Germany for 10 days or so in May blown out of the water by my DH, [who has decided he'd rather go skiing in April with his rambling group] I have decided to use the time to spend a week in Italy trying to improve my italian, which after some initial success [GCSE 2 years ago, AS level last year] has rather hit the buffers.
Taking advantage of some nice low fares, for £50 each way, I fly into Pisa on Sunday 8th May, and out again on Wed 18th, the plan being to spend the last 4 days in/around Florence practising my new language skills.
so now all I have to do it to find a language school!
having taken on board Franco's comments, all those i have enquired about are in or around Florence, where the best italian is spoken. they range from a traditional school in the centre of Florence to a week with a teacher in his home on a one to one basis.
these are the ones which have replied:
This is the traditional language school in the centre of Florence. it offers 4 hours of group tuition in the mornings and 1-2 hours of private lessons/cultural and social activities in the afternoons. I suspect that it is aimed mainly at "younger" people; they have a 2 week course specifically for the over 50s, but i don't have two weeks. i could stay with a family on a half-pension basis to increase the language experiences. this is the "safe" option.
this one is based in Orbettelo on the coast between Pisa and Rome, and i could combine language study in the morning with wine/cuisine in the afternoons. the town looks lovely and the classes are small - a max of 6 - who are likely to be "older" like me. I could also stay with a family. Would i get the same chance to learn Italian though?
this is the most expensive option, but I would be staying in Chianti on a full-board basis with lessons in the morning and activities in the afternoons, all in Italian. [total immersion in fact] there would only be one or two other people involved, so hopefully i would learn a lot. again, the other students would likely be more my age.
As i am unlikely to get this chance again, if it delivered what it promises, it might be worth it.
i wasn't too impressed with this the first time, but on a 2nd reading, it grew on me. it looks more personal than the school in florence, and it's certainly convenient. Again, I could stay with a family, and they offer .
this attracted me at first, but I'm a bit dubious as a solo female traveller staying alone with an unknown bloke. I am absolutely not suggesting that he's anything other than he says, but apart from anything else, if we didn't get on, it could be a miserable week. I suspect that he would better suit a small group or a couple.
so that's it. I'm assuming that they are all qualified teachers and that they are all capable of delivering what they promise.
anyone got any experience of picking a language school or any other comments?
any/all help gratefully received.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 10 Days in Greece @ End of June
- 2 How busy are the Rhine & Mosel River Valleys in early May?
- 3 Midway stop btwn Paris & Venice?
- 4 Where to stay in Paris? So many options!
- 5 Assisi, Chianti & Inqie Terre-2 wks.
- 6 Van Gogh Museum advice
- 7 Do We Need A Guide to do the Ring Road?
- 8 did anyone familiar with p-airbus for airport transportation?
- 9 Super Excited! 3 weeks need your help!
- 10 Travel vs. Babies
- 11 Bamboozled. First trip to Europe. Motorhome v car and other questions...
- 12 Vienna or Budapest?
- 13 Paris with Layover in Munich. Can we leave the airport?
- 14 Andalucia in December
- 15 Spain for 2 weeks in April but what parts?
- 16 Help deciding on how to tour England/Ireland/Scotland
- 17 Will you skip Vienna for other city?
- 18 Rome to Florence Road Trip, Vineyard Recommendations
- 19 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 20 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 21 Budapest Hotels
- 22 Hotel Bonaparte, Paris
- 23 Just booked flight 11 nt trip to Italy, into Pisa, out from Milan
- 24 London's Must Sights!
- 25 Will this be a problem??? - connecting flights and different airlines