For those of you who have been following/helping my plan this is a new post for the next step in the planning of our 2015 trip to Italy
For those of you just tuning in... My husband and I (29 and 32 at time of travel) are taking a three week trip to Italy May of 2015. Our flights are now booked and we have a base itinerary. My next step is to book our accommodations. (Hence this post)
This will be our first international trip, so I've been researching every chance I get. Fodors has been a favorite resource. I am also using Trip Advisor, Google Maps, Rick Steve's guide book, Slow Travel, and a few other sites that have been recommended by some of you For accommodations I have been searching mainly on trip advisor based on ratings and our budget. (Average of €100 per night...planning €200 max for Venice) then I have been checking location on google maps. We would like to be in walking distance to the major sites in Siena, Florence and Rome or at least not too far, and as long as the area is not too sketchy. As far as the Cinque Terre we are leaning toward Riomaggiore or Vernazza.
In this thread I will be posting my questions and findings as I continue my hotel/b&b research. I am totally open to your suggestions and recommendations.
One more little note. I know several of you feel strongly about renting a car for the Tuscan stretch of our trip but after much consideration my husband and I have decided to avoid that this trip and have adjusted our plans accordingly. We realize that this will limit us a bit but with the expense and the potential stress we have let that idea go.
1. Sunday: leave Seattle
2.Monday: arrive Venice (Marco Polo)
7.Saturday: train to 5t
10.Tuesday: train to Florence (day trip stop in Pisa)
11 Wednesday: Florence
13.Friday: bus to Siena sleep Siena
14.Saturday: day trip to Volterra by bus (sleep in Siena)
16.Monday: travel to Rome
22. Sunday: recovery
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lake District: HF Holiday houses Derwent Bank and Monk Coniston
- 2 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 3 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 4 Azores v. north coastal Portugal-Best use of time between Lisbon and Porto
- 5 What kind of tea can i choose in afternoon tea in France?
- 6 Car service from Vienna Airport
- 7 LeHavre to Rennes/St. Malo?
- 8 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 9 Europe First Timers
- 10 Photography gear for Rome and Venice
- 11 Navigation Decouverte cards never expire; right? Wrong!
- 12 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 13 Funniest of Fodor Threads
- 14 Iceland for Nine Days
- 15 Classical or choral or sacred music venues in Rome
- 16 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 17 which train from Gatwick? And rental car pickup
- 18 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 19 What experiences were most memorable for your kids?
- 20 Rome or Venice first
- 21 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 22 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 23 A quick visit to Hampton Court
- 24 Seeking reasonable itinerary
- 25 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
Where to stay Venice, Cinque Terre, Florence, Siena, and Rome.