For those of you who have been following/helping my plan this is a new post for the next step in the planning of our 2015 trip to Italy
For those of you just tuning in... My husband and I (29 and 32 at time of travel) are taking a three week trip to Italy May of 2015. Our flights are now booked and we have a base itinerary. My next step is to book our accommodations. (Hence this post)
This will be our first international trip, so I've been researching every chance I get. Fodors has been a favorite resource. I am also using Trip Advisor, Google Maps, Rick Steve's guide book, Slow Travel, and a few other sites that have been recommended by some of you For accommodations I have been searching mainly on trip advisor based on ratings and our budget. (Average of €100 per night...planning €200 max for Venice) then I have been checking location on google maps. We would like to be in walking distance to the major sites in Siena, Florence and Rome or at least not too far, and as long as the area is not too sketchy. As far as the Cinque Terre we are leaning toward Riomaggiore or Vernazza.
In this thread I will be posting my questions and findings as I continue my hotel/b&b research. I am totally open to your suggestions and recommendations.
One more little note. I know several of you feel strongly about renting a car for the Tuscan stretch of our trip but after much consideration my husband and I have decided to avoid that this trip and have adjusted our plans accordingly. We realize that this will limit us a bit but with the expense and the potential stress we have let that idea go.
1. Sunday: leave Seattle
2.Monday: arrive Venice (Marco Polo)
7.Saturday: train to 5t
10.Tuesday: train to Florence (day trip stop in Pisa)
11 Wednesday: Florence
13.Friday: bus to Siena sleep Siena
14.Saturday: day trip to Volterra by bus (sleep in Siena)
16.Monday: travel to Rome
22. Sunday: recovery
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Venice > Garda > Verona > Bologna thoughts
- 2 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 3 Connection time of 1:25 in Zurich on flight from US. Enough time?
- 4 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 5 Trip to Rome
- 6 Neighborhood for Dubrovnik
- 7 Culinary scene in Vienna, Austria
- 8 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #163
- 9 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 10 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 11 Buying Train Tickets to and from Prague
- 12 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 13 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 14 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 15 Help required with Itinerary
- 16 Parma/strasbourg or frankfurt???
- 17 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 18 European Travel & Trivia Quiz #162
- 19 Can i camp anywhere in Iceland?
- 20 How early in the spring to visit London & England?
- 21 Another Venice question - first stop of first trip to Italy
- 22 Exchange: pros & cons?
- 23 The Txakoli (or Chacoli) Wines of Coastal Basque Country
- 24 Transferring from LCY to LHR . PLEASE HELP
- 25 Skye to Edinburgh
Where to stay Venice, Cinque Terre, Florence, Siena, and Rome.