For those of you who have been following/helping my plan this is a new post for the next step in the planning of our 2015 trip to Italy
For those of you just tuning in... My husband and I (29 and 32 at time of travel) are taking a three week trip to Italy May of 2015. Our flights are now booked and we have a base itinerary. My next step is to book our accommodations. (Hence this post)
This will be our first international trip, so I've been researching every chance I get. Fodors has been a favorite resource. I am also using Trip Advisor, Google Maps, Rick Steve's guide book, Slow Travel, and a few other sites that have been recommended by some of you For accommodations I have been searching mainly on trip advisor based on ratings and our budget. (Average of €100 per night...planning €200 max for Venice) then I have been checking location on google maps. We would like to be in walking distance to the major sites in Siena, Florence and Rome or at least not too far, and as long as the area is not too sketchy. As far as the Cinque Terre we are leaning toward Riomaggiore or Vernazza.
In this thread I will be posting my questions and findings as I continue my hotel/b&b research. I am totally open to your suggestions and recommendations.
One more little note. I know several of you feel strongly about renting a car for the Tuscan stretch of our trip but after much consideration my husband and I have decided to avoid that this trip and have adjusted our plans accordingly. We realize that this will limit us a bit but with the expense and the potential stress we have let that idea go.
1. Sunday: leave Seattle
2.Monday: arrive Venice (Marco Polo)
7.Saturday: train to 5t
10.Tuesday: train to Florence (day trip stop in Pisa)
11 Wednesday: Florence
13.Friday: bus to Siena sleep Siena
14.Saturday: day trip to Volterra by bus (sleep in Siena)
16.Monday: travel to Rome
22. Sunday: recovery
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 2 Our Roman Holiday - 8 nights in the Eternal City
- 3 Tattoos in Italy
- 4 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 5 London/Edinburgh in a few weeks, what should I get done ahead of time?
- 6 Another Question re Scotland
- 7 Place to stay
- 8 Milan to Chamonix by bus
- 9 Charming areas to explore in London
- 10 Transport from palace of versailles to Grand Trianon
- 11 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 12 Nowhere 'safe' : London attack
- 13 9 days in Eastern Sicily
- 14 Weird trip - more time in A&E than sightseeing
- 15 After the Cinque Terre and before Genoa
- 16 8-Week Itinerary in Europe (for my 40th Birthday)
- 17 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 18 2 weeks from southern italy
- 19 Italy trip with kids - planning help?
- 20 Puglia: A question about eating @ a masseria
- 21 travel around Spain
- 22 Guide books for Eastern Europe
- 23 Paris drinks/dinner GTG April?
- 24 A base for 5 days in Western Denmark
- 25 credit and debit cards
Where to stay Venice, Cinque Terre, Florence, Siena, and Rome.