For those of you who have been following/helping my plan this is a new post for the next step in the planning of our 2015 trip to Italy
For those of you just tuning in... My husband and I (29 and 32 at time of travel) are taking a three week trip to Italy May of 2015. Our flights are now booked and we have a base itinerary. My next step is to book our accommodations. (Hence this post)
This will be our first international trip, so I've been researching every chance I get. Fodors has been a favorite resource. I am also using Trip Advisor, Google Maps, Rick Steve's guide book, Slow Travel, and a few other sites that have been recommended by some of you For accommodations I have been searching mainly on trip advisor based on ratings and our budget. (Average of €100 per night...planning €200 max for Venice) then I have been checking location on google maps. We would like to be in walking distance to the major sites in Siena, Florence and Rome or at least not too far, and as long as the area is not too sketchy. As far as the Cinque Terre we are leaning toward Riomaggiore or Vernazza.
In this thread I will be posting my questions and findings as I continue my hotel/b&b research. I am totally open to your suggestions and recommendations.
One more little note. I know several of you feel strongly about renting a car for the Tuscan stretch of our trip but after much consideration my husband and I have decided to avoid that this trip and have adjusted our plans accordingly. We realize that this will limit us a bit but with the expense and the potential stress we have let that idea go.
1. Sunday: leave Seattle
2.Monday: arrive Venice (Marco Polo)
7.Saturday: train to 5t
10.Tuesday: train to Florence (day trip stop in Pisa)
11 Wednesday: Florence
13.Friday: bus to Siena sleep Siena
14.Saturday: day trip to Volterra by bus (sleep in Siena)
16.Monday: travel to Rome
22. Sunday: recovery
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Our week in Scotland—“againn san t-seachdain ann an Alba”
- 2 Revised post- cruise itinerary
- 3 Stay in Multalcino or Montepulciano
- 4 Visiting Spain in January
- 5 Italy/Greece with kids
- 6 Bologna, Florence, Venice 5 days
- 7 Puglia or La Langhe
- 8 Swiss trains/Basel to Zurich
- 9 Do Not Rent from SIXT car rentals
- 10 Paris---baguette question???
- 11 Munich
- 12 English Countryside
- 13 Best European Cities for Walking Challenged
- 14 First time to London - couple for lodging
- 15 Thoughts on an unusual itinerary for Northern Spain please
- 16 Britain's contactless public transport revolution moves to Oxford
- 17 Need help in travel planning
- 18 14 days in Greece itinerary ???
- 19 French immersion courses in France
- 20 "Around Provence" - My Watercolors on Flickr
- 21 Vienna or Budapest?
- 22 Train Travel Berlin, Prague, Krakow
- 23 First time trip to Ireland - 6 nights
- 24 My trip to Cornwall, bookended by weekends in London
- 25 10 day Greek Island trip
Where to stay Venice, Cinque Terre, Florence, Siena, and Rome.