I am planning a trip with my boys, 5 and 7, and my mom to Germany next summer. This is my 12th trip, my boys 2nd, and my moms 4th. Two summers ago, we drove all over the country for a month and saw so much.
I am thinking this trip, we will pick two places to base ourselves out of for about 10 days to two weeks at a time. While I may still rent a car (and a bike rack and purchase used bikes for the boys and I), I am toying with the idea of just flying in and using the train to get to our two destinations.
We have good friends in the Freiburg area, the Chiemgau area, and Dresden. While the boys and I are adventurous and active, my mom does like to have lazy days. So I am looking for towns to stay in that are large enough for her to be able to spend the day walking around and small enough that she could do most of it on foot. We will probably rent something central and/or with a bus stop so close that she can't get lost.
We are open to other parts of Germany.....I feel like I know most of the areas, but would love suggestions, as I am probably missing something. I'd love to stay on the Chiemsee, but feel like the towns right on the lake are too small for our needs......but maybe there's one nearby that would work. I also feel like Freiburg is a bit too big, but maybe if we are actually near the Fussgaengerzone, it would work........I love the Harz and know Wernigerode well, maybe a town near there? I want to avoid places that are so overrun with tourists that our 2 weeks there would just be chaotic.
Any help would be appreciated. I just need to get rolling on the plans....my mom likes to know wherre we are going well in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 HP printer Installation CONTACT☎ 1:800:681:7208 Tec*h Supp0rt**
- 2 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 3 Paging @bobthenavigator and others for Amalfi Coast accommodation advice
- 4 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 5 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 6 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 7 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 8 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 9 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 10 Long weekend in Albania
- 11 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 12 Airfare from Paris to Bastia
- 13 Hotels in Seville and Cordoba
- 14 hill of crosses
- 15 Barcelona - Safety/Language/Trip Ideas
- 16 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 17 Driving through Paris
- 18 Planning A trip
- 19 To the top of Europe, and back again.
- 20 A week in the Occitanie
- 21 Munich and....???
- 22 Iceland March Itinerary
- 23 Itinerary input for trip to Spain and France
- 24 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 25 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas