I am planning a trip with my boys, 5 and 7, and my mom to Germany next summer. This is my 12th trip, my boys 2nd, and my moms 4th. Two summers ago, we drove all over the country for a month and saw so much.
I am thinking this trip, we will pick two places to base ourselves out of for about 10 days to two weeks at a time. While I may still rent a car (and a bike rack and purchase used bikes for the boys and I), I am toying with the idea of just flying in and using the train to get to our two destinations.
We have good friends in the Freiburg area, the Chiemgau area, and Dresden. While the boys and I are adventurous and active, my mom does like to have lazy days. So I am looking for towns to stay in that are large enough for her to be able to spend the day walking around and small enough that she could do most of it on foot. We will probably rent something central and/or with a bus stop so close that she can't get lost.
We are open to other parts of Germany.....I feel like I know most of the areas, but would love suggestions, as I am probably missing something. I'd love to stay on the Chiemsee, but feel like the towns right on the lake are too small for our needs......but maybe there's one nearby that would work. I also feel like Freiburg is a bit too big, but maybe if we are actually near the Fussgaengerzone, it would work........I love the Harz and know Wernigerode well, maybe a town near there? I want to avoid places that are so overrun with tourists that our 2 weeks there would just be chaotic.
Any help would be appreciated. I just need to get rolling on the plans....my mom likes to know wherre we are going well in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lonely Planet‘s Best in Europe list-your thoughts please
- 2 Best Barcelona neighborhood
- 3 Cycling Nice into Italy along the coast
- 4 One night in the Dolomites
- 5 Vatican tour
- 6 Cap Ferrat, Antibe, Luberon?
- 7 Places to stop/stay?
- 8 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 9 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 10 Allocating time in Barcelona - Gaudi tickets
- 11 Rome hotel
- 12 First visit to London
- 13 Route Information
- 14 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 15 Driving Bruges to Paris. Is it worth the drive?
- 16 Villa in Italy
- 17 Madrid and Andalucia Itinerary and Travel Advice
- 18 My thoughts go to Manchester
- 19 International drivers permit
- 20 Seeking scenic route from Bala, Wales to london
- 21 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 22 Croatia Intinerary August 2017
- 23 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 24 TSA Precheck
- 25 First Trip to Italy- Help!