I am planning a trip with my boys, 5 and 7, and my mom to Germany next summer. This is my 12th trip, my boys 2nd, and my moms 4th. Two summers ago, we drove all over the country for a month and saw so much.
I am thinking this trip, we will pick two places to base ourselves out of for about 10 days to two weeks at a time. While I may still rent a car (and a bike rack and purchase used bikes for the boys and I), I am toying with the idea of just flying in and using the train to get to our two destinations.
We have good friends in the Freiburg area, the Chiemgau area, and Dresden. While the boys and I are adventurous and active, my mom does like to have lazy days. So I am looking for towns to stay in that are large enough for her to be able to spend the day walking around and small enough that she could do most of it on foot. We will probably rent something central and/or with a bus stop so close that she can't get lost.
We are open to other parts of Germany.....I feel like I know most of the areas, but would love suggestions, as I am probably missing something. I'd love to stay on the Chiemsee, but feel like the towns right on the lake are too small for our needs......but maybe there's one nearby that would work. I also feel like Freiburg is a bit too big, but maybe if we are actually near the Fussgaengerzone, it would work........I love the Harz and know Wernigerode well, maybe a town near there? I want to avoid places that are so overrun with tourists that our 2 weeks there would just be chaotic.
Any help would be appreciated. I just need to get rolling on the plans....my mom likes to know wherre we are going well in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trying to pick a Greek Island
- 2 Bars & Restaurants in Madrid Spain
- 3 A Month stay in Southern France
- 4 Germany/Austria...with a toddler
- 5 Edinburgh to Skye
- 6 Italy Puglia and Le Marche
- 7 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 8 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours
- 9 Isles of Scilly - Anyone Been?
- 10 1 or 2 days in Reykjavík
- 11 Paris/Loire Valley than ?
- 12 Itinerary help--Loire Valley and Brittany
- 13 Family first time Barcelona (where and how much ?)
- 14 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 15 Premier League Tickets on Craigslist
- 16 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 17 ISO help planning a trip to England in May
- 18 Croatia transportation question.
- 19 Anyplace worth stopping a night between Hallstatt and Venice?
- 20 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 21 European Travel - Trivia Quiz #151
- 22 Itinerary? Mystras? Stay over or stay in Nafplion
- 23 A week in Croatia with kids
- 24 Credit or debit card or cash in Europe
- 25 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London