Hello, Italy experts...
My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy in late September/early October of this year. Our original schedule had to be altered a bit, and now we're left with an extra Friday that I'm not sure what I want to do with. Here's where we're at:
Fri AM: Land in Milan and head straight to a lake (Como or Maggiore...tbd but opinions/alternatives welcome!)
Mon AM: Depart for Cinque Terre (staying at La Mala in Vernazza)
Thurs AM: Depart CT for...??
Sat AM (early): Fly home out of Milan (or could open-jaw it and leave from Rome, but that's obviously farther away...)
We were supposed to stay that extra Friday in CT, but it didn't end up working out---at least not at that hotel.
So...can anyone recommend a small, scenic town to visit instead? We can obviously try one of the other quattro terre, but I imagine we'll do some wandering throughout all the towns during our Mon-Thurs stay. Not sure I have much interest in either Genoa or La Spezia, so basically I'm throwing a hail mary in search of a little gem of a town that offers pretty scenery and yummy food.
Wherever we go, the plan would be to arrive Thursday, stay over, then leave at some point on Friday (as late in the day/evening as possible) and then spend the final night at a lovely-and-exciting airport hotel since either way---Rome or Milan---we'd have an early flight back on Saturday morning.
Final thing to note: I don't think we're renting a car for this trip, so trains and/or buses it is...
Thank you so much for any ideas or insights!! They are always appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Gertie in Greece NOW
- 2 Amalfi coast hotel recs
- 3 Amalfi Coast help
- 4 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 5 Sicily
- 6 Q re: holiday season in Italy
- 7 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 8 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 9 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 10 kimhe or others - flamenco rec in Sevilla?
- 11 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 12 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 13 Fuerteventura - Canary Islands
- 14 Where to buy Saffron?
- 15 English Countryside
- 16 Switzerland 8 day itinerary in May
- 17 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 18 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 19 Lyon and Paris (and Provence vs Dijon?)
- 20 Super Cover For Hertz
- 21 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 22 4 days itinerary for France
- 23 Stonehenge more accessible with group?
- 24 Spain-Portugal family trip. car or train ?
- 25 Is it worth it to drive into Positano...& Amalfi Coast by land or sea?
Hello, Italy experts...