I am looking for ideas on where to go in Europe first/second week in August. Yes, I know its late, but unfortunately work schedule dictates it!
I rarely travel in August, as I can’t stand heat – I am melting here in London right now in temperatures of 30 degrees, which is pretty well as hot as I can take it. Therefore, I need to stick to the northern region.
I would welcome your advice on some of my initial thoughts. My primary interests are art and architecture, which dictates a city, but might also consider a week at a cooking school or something like that. I am not a beach-holiday person – I need lots of activity. I might hire a car, but am more inclined to base myself in one location and take day-trips by public transportation.
Some initial thoughts:
Berlin: Never been, but have heard it is a wonderful city. What would the weather be like?
Northern Spain: I have been several times, driving from the Basque country to Santiago de Compostela. Loved it immensely and the weather was perfect for me in late July. If I base myself in Bilbao, would I be able to fill my days with day trips to other towns/cities? What other cities should I consider?
Northern France: I have driven around Brittany. If I decide not to drive, where should I base myself?
Lisbon: I have always wanted to visit, but would it be too hot?
Apologies for the vagueness, but I am really stymied, and have little time to plan. I thank you in advance for your time in helping me decide.
Best regards .. Ger
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Euro 2016 Football championship
- 2 Trains from Granada
- 3 Driving from San Sebastian to La Rioja to Bilbao
- 4 Too much for one day in Munich?
- 5 Catalunya, Cathars and Castles (and vino!)
- 6 3/4/ days South of France
- 7 Ten day tour of Assisi and Umbria during Candelmaggio
- 8 How would you piece these together?Piedmont,Tuscany, Bologna, Umbria
- 9 Florence and Rome
- 10 Need itinerary help for self-drive or tour from Cavan to N. Ireland
- 11 Pickpocketing prevention tip
- 12 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 13 Train Route Help! France, Spain, Italy & Switzerland
- 14 Switzerland Hotels
- 15 Bosch Parade
- 16 NY Times goes to Sicily!
- 17 Alhambra
- 18 Relaxing on the Rhone - a river cruise virgin's trip report.
- 19 Do we stay in Montalcino or Chianti or Both?
- 20 Living on € 2500 monthly
- 21 Amalfi October 16-25
- 22 Modica or Noto? So difficult to decide!
- 23 The Great Grotte Question: Clamouse or Demoiselles
- 24 Portugal, What did you love there ?
- 25 21 nights in England, please help