I am looking for ideas on where to go in Europe first/second week in August. Yes, I know its late, but unfortunately work schedule dictates it!
I rarely travel in August, as I can’t stand heat – I am melting here in London right now in temperatures of 30 degrees, which is pretty well as hot as I can take it. Therefore, I need to stick to the northern region.
I would welcome your advice on some of my initial thoughts. My primary interests are art and architecture, which dictates a city, but might also consider a week at a cooking school or something like that. I am not a beach-holiday person – I need lots of activity. I might hire a car, but am more inclined to base myself in one location and take day-trips by public transportation.
Some initial thoughts:
Berlin: Never been, but have heard it is a wonderful city. What would the weather be like?
Northern Spain: I have been several times, driving from the Basque country to Santiago de Compostela. Loved it immensely and the weather was perfect for me in late July. If I base myself in Bilbao, would I be able to fill my days with day trips to other towns/cities? What other cities should I consider?
Northern France: I have driven around Brittany. If I decide not to drive, where should I base myself?
Lisbon: I have always wanted to visit, but would it be too hot?
Apologies for the vagueness, but I am really stymied, and have little time to plan. I thank you in advance for your time in helping me decide.
Best regards .. Ger
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Puglia, and a touch of Rome
- 2 Letter from the Belgian Embassy
- 3 Non-alcoholic drinks to try in Andalusia
- 4 1st time in London - Location wise, which would be the better for us?
- 5 Breakfast: London
- 6 France and Switzerland in 15 days
- 7 Travel plan help in Germany
- 8 Loire Valley itinerary
- 9 Anybody rented from Allure-Apart?
- 10 Where to stay in Paris for our 1st time there?
- 11 Is it safe to take train from CDG by 10 PM?
- 12 Camino Redux
- 13 Pylos to Corinth with two days to spare, perhaps in Arcadia?
- 14 Athens, Greece--transfer from airport to downtown hotel
- 15 Return hire car to Athens airport early tomorrow morning
- 16 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 17 Switzerland, Austria, Prague and Munich
- 18 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 19 A weekend in Jurassic Coast
- 20 How to ask for glass or carafe of tap water in Portuguese
- 21 Amalfi Coast by Car
- 22 Where in Europe for 15 full days from 21 Oct to 6 Nov 2016?
- 23 Italy: your favorite national park?
- 24 5 minutes to change trains in La Spezia???
- 25 What is your favorite travel app?