We will be arriving in Prague and will fly out of Vienna in May 2013. Can someone recommend a convenient base town in Salzkammergut from where we can do easy day trips using public transportation to the mountain cable car i..e Dachstein Five Fingers, Schafbergbahn and Zwolferhorn cable car?
Would St. Wolfgang be a convenient base to do the trips? In Prague, Dresden and Vienna we would be covering the palaces etc and kids would enjoy nature more than history. Hence, looking at the Salzkammergut as a base for a few days before we head to Vienna.
Last year had been to Zell Am See and had absolutely loved it. We do not want to base ourselves in a vey small village. Any suggestions are welcome. Can we do easy day trips to Salzburg? Can we also do the Krimml waterfalls and the Liechestein Gorge or should we keep that aside for our future trips. Any inputs for base town and pensions/hotels are welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 2 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 3 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 4 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 5 London Under the Path: Riding the Underground Mail Rail Line
- 6 Greek Islands - Which to use as our base?
- 7 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 8 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 9 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 10 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 11 Paris to Italy
- 12 Travel from Lisbon to Amsterdam to Boston
- 13 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 14 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 15 Spanish Medical Providers
- 16 Sicily in feb? If not, where to from Israel?
- 17 Day Trips from Kaiserslautern During Winter Holidays?
- 18 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 19 Barcelona alternative
- 20 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 21 Road trip with our dog
- 22 Driving through Paris
- 23 lurento sports car rental - anyone?
- 24 Need help with ideas for stopover location
- 25 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)