We will be arriving in Prague and will fly out of Vienna in May 2013. Can someone recommend a convenient base town in Salzkammergut from where we can do easy day trips using public transportation to the mountain cable car i..e Dachstein Five Fingers, Schafbergbahn and Zwolferhorn cable car?
Would St. Wolfgang be a convenient base to do the trips? In Prague, Dresden and Vienna we would be covering the palaces etc and kids would enjoy nature more than history. Hence, looking at the Salzkammergut as a base for a few days before we head to Vienna.
Last year had been to Zell Am See and had absolutely loved it. We do not want to base ourselves in a vey small village. Any suggestions are welcome. Can we do easy day trips to Salzburg? Can we also do the Krimml waterfalls and the Liechestein Gorge or should we keep that aside for our future trips. Any inputs for base town and pensions/hotels are welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train Help
- 2 Car Rental in Italy: Insurance Needed/Suggested
- 3 Family of 4 in a couchette from Venice
- 4 Alhambra to Hammam al Andalusus Spa / best option
- 5 Austria
- 6 Bologna, Modena or Parma for a base?
- 7 Salento penninsula
- 8 Train rides
- 9 What about Basque Country?
- 10 Bursa/Iznik
- 11 Paris dinner cruises...best of the best if there is such a thing
- 12 Bologna or Bergamo?
- 13 Tuscany Region - Rental Car or Public Transportation?
- 14 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily
- 15 Plane or train between Copenhagen and Stockholm
- 16 Is a canal pass and museum entry worth buying ahead of visit?
- 17 Charles Degaulle question
- 18 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 19 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 20 12 days in Austria
- 21 Cancelling apartment in PARIS
- 22 Amsterdam in August
- 23 Tuscany Region - Public Transportation or Rental Car?
- 24 Pompeii luggage storage
- 25 Croatia Itinerary Advice - Thank you!