We will be arriving in Prague and will fly out of Vienna in May 2013. Can someone recommend a convenient base town in Salzkammergut from where we can do easy day trips using public transportation to the mountain cable car i..e Dachstein Five Fingers, Schafbergbahn and Zwolferhorn cable car?
Would St. Wolfgang be a convenient base to do the trips? In Prague, Dresden and Vienna we would be covering the palaces etc and kids would enjoy nature more than history. Hence, looking at the Salzkammergut as a base for a few days before we head to Vienna.
Last year had been to Zell Am See and had absolutely loved it. We do not want to base ourselves in a vey small village. Any suggestions are welcome. Can we do easy day trips to Salzburg? Can we also do the Krimml waterfalls and the Liechestein Gorge or should we keep that aside for our future trips. Any inputs for base town and pensions/hotels are welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Andalusia itinerary comments & advice please!
- 2 5 day home base between Venice and Florence with Teenage boys?
- 3 Doobie in Amsterdam
- 4 Paris authorities raid suspected illegal vacation rentals in 1er & 6er
- 5 Help with Basque Country in Spain and France
- 6 Cheap Airfare to Spain
- 7 Need help paring down my 3 week intinerary Benelux/Germany!
- 8 16-Day Driving Trip in Sicily
- 9 Car rental insurance woes
- 10 Help with itinerary in Southern Italy in Maye
- 11 Public Transportation in Vienna: Borderline Organized Crime
- 12 Road tripping: Isle of Skye to London
- 13 Venice to Malpensa: which way to travel?
- 14 Edinburgh and Scotland experts—comments on itinerary (beta version!)
- 15 St Mont Michel, how much time do I need
- 16 Desperate Help with Itinerary to Alsace/Alps/Provence
- 17 12 Days in Italy
- 18 Paris recommendations?
- 19 Kings Day in Amsterdam, local travel?
- 20 Pera palace hotel Istanbul
- 21 Amalfi and Tuscany for 20th anniversary trip
- 22 Umbria and Piedmont
- 23 Norway Fjords
- 24 Iceland or the Nordic countries in May with children ?
- 25 Trip Report: Christmas in Paris with 9- and 10-year-old kids