My partner and I will be attending a conference in Belgium from July 13-19. We plan to spend an additional 7-10 days in Europe, but are having trouble deciding where to go. This will be my partner's first trip abroad, while I've previously been to Spain, England, France, Italy, and the Netherlands.
We live in Seattle, so ideally we'd like to choose a destination with plenty of sunlight and good weather. Somewhere on the coast would be wonderful, but given the fact that it will be the high season, I'm a bit concerned that anywhere near a beach will be too overcrowded for us to fully enjoy.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a place/places that are easily accessible either to or from Belgium, offer plenty of history/culture, won't be too overcrowded, and where we can find affordable accommodation? Also, any suggestions on whether we should plan to do our traveling before or after our conference? The two tentative blocks of time we are considering are either July 4-23ish or July 11-30ish. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Where should we spend a week in Europe?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Brussels / 2 nights / looking for insider tips
- 2 Catalunya Pyrenees Itinerary
- 3 Getting from airport to hotel in Prague
- 4 Jamikins and Bikerscott Head Back to Le Marche
- 5 How much luggage?????
- 6 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 7 Stockholm/Copenhagen/Norway?
- 8 Advice for returning rental car to Florence airport
- 9 Swiss Air seat assignments
- 10 Terrorism in Europe
- 11 Credit Card Number stolen from hotel booking
- 12 London GTG late September?
- 13 From Seville to Faro, Portugal and back to Seville on a rental car
- 14 eateries in Puglia
- 15 Think twice before booking a trip with Grand Circle.
- 16 City Night Line from Paris to Munich
- 17 What will happen if I do not pay the penalty of ATAF bus in Florence
- 18 100 years of French gratitude
- 19 Need help with itinerary
- 20 Bringing Wine Home From France
- 21 Best area to stay in Dublin for someone in a wheelchair
- 22 Help with France itinerary
- 23 Castles, Palaces and Caves-9 Days in Puglia and Basilicata
- 24 Paris: for a family with children, Saint Germain or Le Marais?
- 25 Avis De Contravention (speeding ticket) dispute/appeal?