My partner and I will be attending a conference in Belgium from July 13-19. We plan to spend an additional 7-10 days in Europe, but are having trouble deciding where to go. This will be my partner's first trip abroad, while I've previously been to Spain, England, France, Italy, and the Netherlands.
We live in Seattle, so ideally we'd like to choose a destination with plenty of sunlight and good weather. Somewhere on the coast would be wonderful, but given the fact that it will be the high season, I'm a bit concerned that anywhere near a beach will be too overcrowded for us to fully enjoy.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a place/places that are easily accessible either to or from Belgium, offer plenty of history/culture, won't be too overcrowded, and where we can find affordable accommodation? Also, any suggestions on whether we should plan to do our traveling before or after our conference? The two tentative blocks of time we are considering are either July 4-23ish or July 11-30ish. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Where should we spend a week in Europe?
- 1 First timer! Trip to London over New Year's next year!
- 2 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 3 Advises for trip to Russia
- 4 ONE DAY IN PARIS PLEASE HELP!!
- 5 First time traveler to Ireland
- 6 Prague - must see
- 7 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 8 Restaurant reservations Rome, Tuscany, Venice
- 9 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 10 Euro Train
- 11 2 Week(ish) Italian Honeymoon Itinerary Help - First Time Europe Travelers
- 12 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 13 Castle "ruins" Tirol, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland ?
- 14 Backpacking Europe beginners questions!
- 15 Two weeks in Northern Italy - what do you think of our outline?
- 16 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 17 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 18 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 19 need good quiet Paris hotel: possible?
- 20 March 2013: Barcelona, Rome and Prague Trip Report
- 21 Alsa Bus between Portugal and Spain
- 22 Planning 4 nights S / SE of London for my parents in their late 60s
- 23 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 24 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 25 Naples on Christmas Eve--Beluga Bar or George's?