I'm back for your advice which was invaluable with our last few trips!
This time I'm planning a surprise trip for my husband's birthday: England from 7 to 18 September. We'll rent a car at LHR (I know, not optimal, but it's difficult to do this trip without a car) and drive to Portsmouth Premier Inn (Havant) for two nights so we can go to the Goodwood Revival on Friday 9 September. It's been very hard to find a place to stay anywhere near Chichester/Goodwood even this far in advance!
I'm going to try to book tickets to Highclere Castle's "Garden Party" on Saturday 10 September which I hope to combine with a Hidden Britain Tour. The tour will be either Downton Abbey, which the husband loves, or Jane Austen, which I love and he tolerates.
10 September is a free night so I'm trying to decide if we should stay:
1. close to Highclere Castle, if we get the tickets; or
2. in Alton, where we could conceivably end our Hidden Britain Tour, then visit Salisbury Cathedral and maybe Avebury stones on our way to Bath the next day; or
3. head to Bath. Because I added a day to the trip and had made reservations at the Hill House awhile back for 11 to 14 September, when I checked they unfortunately don't have availability for 10 September, which is the weekend the Jane Austen Festival (yay!) in Bath starts. I guess I could find another place in Bath for one night, or hope the Hill House has a cancellation. We loved Bath last year. We saw the major sights so will be focused on the things we missed (Bath Abbey, Assembly Rooms, Holbourne Museum, and such) and a lot of wandering around this beautiful town. With the extra time in Bath, I thought we could take a day trip to Bristol.
After Bath, we have 3 nights in Burford at the Lamb Inn to explore a bit of the Cotswolds and Oxford and one night at the LHR Marriot before we fly out early on 18 September.
Your thoughts are appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 I bought a one way ticket to Europe.
- 2 Paris - Top Foodie Eats? Staying near Le Marais
- 3 Recommendations for trip to Cochem
- 4 David's First Draft Itinerary for Northern Spain and Portugal 2018
- 5 Train from Brussels to Amsterdam
- 6 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 7 17 year old need a birth certificate to travel?
- 8 Possible British Airways strike action, July 2017
- 9 Ireland for work. Add on a week-Scotland? Netherlands?
- 10 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 11 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 12 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 13 Hiking in Switzerland
- 14 Plane to Train Connection-CDG to Gare De Lyon
- 15 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 16 ITALY – ON AND OFF THE BEATEN PATH: Venice & Northern Italy
- 17 CASH OR CARD?
- 18 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 19 Day Trip to Capri: Advice Needed
- 20 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 21 Dordogne for 6 full days in early September itinerary for comment!
- 22 NL/googlehangoutApp/vodafone/again
- 23 2 days in Lugano area
- 24 FYI, Bourdain in Porto, this Sunday (July 2)
- 25 Need help planning trip after Paris