I'm back for your advice which was invaluable with our last few trips!
This time I'm planning a surprise trip for my husband's birthday: England from 7 to 18 September. We'll rent a car at LHR (I know, not optimal, but it's difficult to do this trip without a car) and drive to Portsmouth Premier Inn (Havant) for two nights so we can go to the Goodwood Revival on Friday 9 September. It's been very hard to find a place to stay anywhere near Chichester/Goodwood even this far in advance!
I'm going to try to book tickets to Highclere Castle's "Garden Party" on Saturday 10 September which I hope to combine with a Hidden Britain Tour. The tour will be either Downton Abbey, which the husband loves, or Jane Austen, which I love and he tolerates.
10 September is a free night so I'm trying to decide if we should stay:
1. close to Highclere Castle, if we get the tickets; or
2. in Alton, where we could conceivably end our Hidden Britain Tour, then visit Salisbury Cathedral and maybe Avebury stones on our way to Bath the next day; or
3. head to Bath. Because I added a day to the trip and had made reservations at the Hill House awhile back for 11 to 14 September, when I checked they unfortunately don't have availability for 10 September, which is the weekend the Jane Austen Festival (yay!) in Bath starts. I guess I could find another place in Bath for one night, or hope the Hill House has a cancellation. We loved Bath last year. We saw the major sights so will be focused on the things we missed (Bath Abbey, Assembly Rooms, Holbourne Museum, and such) and a lot of wandering around this beautiful town. With the extra time in Bath, I thought we could take a day trip to Bristol.
After Bath, we have 3 nights in Burford at the Lamb Inn to explore a bit of the Cotswolds and Oxford and one night at the LHR Marriot before we fly out early on 18 September.
Your thoughts are appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 When to buy airline? & booking seats
- 2 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 3 Luggage for train travel in Europe
- 4 Ireland hotel questions
- 5 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 6 Trying to pick a Greek Island
- 7 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 8 Please help with 12 days in England!
- 9 Itinerary help--Loire Valley and Brittany
- 10 Itinerary? Mystras? Stay over or stay in Nafplion
- 11 Revised itinerary for italy
- 12 Bernina Express mid-March
- 13 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 14 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 15 2 weeks in Europe - itenerary help
- 16 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 17 where to stay in London?
- 18 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 19 Southern Germany - a base for travel
- 20 Flamenco in October
- 21 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 22 4 days itinerary for France
- 23 Travelogue: Copenhagen with Kids
- 24 getting to CDG
- 25 A Month stay in Southern France