I'm back for your advice which was invaluable with our last few trips!
This time I'm planning a surprise trip for my husband's birthday: England from 7 to 18 September. We'll rent a car at LHR (I know, not optimal, but it's difficult to do this trip without a car) and drive to Portsmouth Premier Inn (Havant) for two nights so we can go to the Goodwood Revival on Friday 9 September. It's been very hard to find a place to stay anywhere near Chichester/Goodwood even this far in advance!
I'm going to try to book tickets to Highclere Castle's "Garden Party" on Saturday 10 September which I hope to combine with a Hidden Britain Tour. The tour will be either Downton Abbey, which the husband loves, or Jane Austen, which I love and he tolerates.
10 September is a free night so I'm trying to decide if we should stay:
1. close to Highclere Castle, if we get the tickets; or
2. in Alton, where we could conceivably end our Hidden Britain Tour, then visit Salisbury Cathedral and maybe Avebury stones on our way to Bath the next day; or
3. head to Bath. Because I added a day to the trip and had made reservations at the Hill House awhile back for 11 to 14 September, when I checked they unfortunately don't have availability for 10 September, which is the weekend the Jane Austen Festival (yay!) in Bath starts. I guess I could find another place in Bath for one night, or hope the Hill House has a cancellation. We loved Bath last year. We saw the major sights so will be focused on the things we missed (Bath Abbey, Assembly Rooms, Holbourne Museum, and such) and a lot of wandering around this beautiful town. With the extra time in Bath, I thought we could take a day trip to Bristol.
After Bath, we have 3 nights in Burford at the Lamb Inn to explore a bit of the Cotswolds and Oxford and one night at the LHR Marriot before we fly out early on 18 September.
Your thoughts are appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Recommendations for Wiesbaden
- 2 Spain and Portugal - 2 weeks in Mid-July - help with itinerary
- 3 Scotland in 7 Days
- 4 Bergen Hotel -- near Port ?
- 5 Need advice on our trip to Germany, Switzerland and Austria
- 6 London GTG in June, Anyone?
- 7 Two day Dublin itinerary
- 8 Azores
- 9 Charles de Gaulle departure
- 10 Barcelona, hiking in Pyrenees + which other? (Costa Brava or Mallorca?)
- 11 Connection time in Athens?
- 12 Gubbio, Gubbio, wherefore art thou, O Gubbio?
- 13 SHIP LUGGAGE
- 14 Short Trip in July
- 15 Ludwig Castles
- 16 Driving from Munich to Barcelona
- 17 Visiting Monte Carlo during Grand Prix week
- 18 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 19 HIking through France for 2 weeks
- 20 Dubrovnik + island or Kotor?
- 21 Escorted Tours
- 22 France Part Deux - Itinerary Advice
- 23 roaming Prague...but for how long?
- 24 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 25 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing