I'm back for your advice which was invaluable with our last few trips!
This time I'm planning a surprise trip for my husband's birthday: England from 7 to 18 September. We'll rent a car at LHR (I know, not optimal, but it's difficult to do this trip without a car) and drive to Portsmouth Premier Inn (Havant) for two nights so we can go to the Goodwood Revival on Friday 9 September. It's been very hard to find a place to stay anywhere near Chichester/Goodwood even this far in advance!
I'm going to try to book tickets to Highclere Castle's "Garden Party" on Saturday 10 September which I hope to combine with a Hidden Britain Tour. The tour will be either Downton Abbey, which the husband loves, or Jane Austen, which I love and he tolerates.
10 September is a free night so I'm trying to decide if we should stay:
1. close to Highclere Castle, if we get the tickets; or
2. in Alton, where we could conceivably end our Hidden Britain Tour, then visit Salisbury Cathedral and maybe Avebury stones on our way to Bath the next day; or
3. head to Bath. Because I added a day to the trip and had made reservations at the Hill House awhile back for 11 to 14 September, when I checked they unfortunately don't have availability for 10 September, which is the weekend the Jane Austen Festival (yay!) in Bath starts. I guess I could find another place in Bath for one night, or hope the Hill House has a cancellation. We loved Bath last year. We saw the major sights so will be focused on the things we missed (Bath Abbey, Assembly Rooms, Holbourne Museum, and such) and a lot of wandering around this beautiful town. With the extra time in Bath, I thought we could take a day trip to Bristol.
After Bath, we have 3 nights in Burford at the Lamb Inn to explore a bit of the Cotswolds and Oxford and one night at the LHR Marriot before we fly out early on 18 September.
Your thoughts are appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Provence, Strasbourg, Paris early September
- 2 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 3 Milan and Lake Como
- 4 Private transportation between Italian Cities
- 5 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 6 Mallorca: Hotel in/near Palma?
- 7 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 8 One week in Europe
- 9 Budapest to Kosice
- 10 Montserrat, Spain - Sept 8 or Sept 10?
- 11 Venice in October... by myself! (Please advise.)
- 12 Itinerary Germany 9/10 - 9/24/17
- 13 UK or France or elsewhere, July 2018, good price from west coast?
- 14 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 15 Munich itinerary review
- 16 What is the hostess gift you love to give or receive?
- 17 11 Days in Ireland w few hotel changes
- 18 Switzerland in September
- 19 Where to eat in Rome?
- 20 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?
- 21 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 22 Athens hotel with Acropolis view from room/balcony
- 23 Capital One 360 Card -- Fees for Cash Withdrawal?
- 24 AMS Car Rental
- 25 Posting Packages from Central Europe