I'm an 18 year old traveling through Europe on my own for around 3 weeks in July. I've seen a fair bit of the continent already, both cities and smaller towns and countryside and I generally appreciate architecture, food, culture, and sights (e.g. Eiffel Tower, Heidelberg bridge), rather than museums and that sort of thing (the Louvre, for example).
I'm trying to plan my first ten days or so, and I'd like opinions in regards to my thinking/plan. I arrive into Frankfurt Airport early in the morning of the 30th and plan to head straight down to Munich to visit some friends, spending the night, then taking the City Night Line on the night of 1st from there to either:
1. Cologne (taking another train straight onto Brugge)
2. Amsterdam directly
If I were to take option 1, I'd spend the next 3 or 4 (?) nights in Brugge, hoping to see it Ghent, and maybe day-trip to Amsterdam. Option 2 would see me spend the day/night in Amsterdam, then move to Brugge for the next 2 or 3 (?). From Brugge, I would take the Eurostar to London, where I would spend either 4 or 5 nights, depending on the time spent at the above. From London, I would fly out to Geneva to continue on with the rest of my trip, which is looking no more straight-forward than this segment!
Anyway, my questions are:
1. Which option should I take and therefore at which city should I stay?
2. Would you recommend any alternative plans?
3. How many nights should be spent in London, given my interests? And at the other locations? Would you recommend cutting one destination for the sake of my sanity?
4. Given it will be summer, should I be looking for air-conditioned accommodation, or is this difficult to come by?
What should I do? Skip Amsterdam, Brugge, London... Or go to all?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2 Week Honeymoon France, Italy, Spain, Greece, Rome
- 2 Lucerne Switzerland
- 3 2 weeks in Spain
- 4 Confused about train travel - Paris, Colmar, Lucerne, Lake Como
- 5 4 Months in Europe
- 6 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 7 Ventimiglia to Trieste
- 8 Italy Travelogue, part I (Rome)
- 9 at what point should one get health insurance
- 10 Greek Islands in October - who's open?
- 11 Should one go to an iconic place to eat something not very palatable?
- 12 Help with Italy itinerary (18 days: Rome, Umbria, Puglia, Amalfi?)
- 13 Barcelona Hotels, Looking for recommendations
- 14 Ellen & Stu Dudley's trip to the Ile de Re & the Loire.
- 15 Dxb St. Juery Schaffhausen
- 16 PLEASE HELP! Study Abroad either Rome or London for Journalism/PR Major
- 17 Wines charted by flavor
- 18 Our completely revamped, circular tour of Andalucia--more help, please!
- 19 Taxi / tour guides from Granada airport
- 20 Recommendations for city break with baby
- 21 Inexpensive Restaurant in Zurich
- 22 Spain in November
- 23 Travel Cards / just made a $70 mistake?
- 24 Paris: Picasso Museum reopens, Finally
- 25 Southern Spain - What to SEE, what to BUY - what NOT to miss