I'm an 18 year old traveling through Europe on my own for around 3 weeks in July. I've seen a fair bit of the continent already, both cities and smaller towns and countryside and I generally appreciate architecture, food, culture, and sights (e.g. Eiffel Tower, Heidelberg bridge), rather than museums and that sort of thing (the Louvre, for example).
I'm trying to plan my first ten days or so, and I'd like opinions in regards to my thinking/plan. I arrive into Frankfurt Airport early in the morning of the 30th and plan to head straight down to Munich to visit some friends, spending the night, then taking the City Night Line on the night of 1st from there to either:
1. Cologne (taking another train straight onto Brugge)
2. Amsterdam directly
If I were to take option 1, I'd spend the next 3 or 4 (?) nights in Brugge, hoping to see it Ghent, and maybe day-trip to Amsterdam. Option 2 would see me spend the day/night in Amsterdam, then move to Brugge for the next 2 or 3 (?). From Brugge, I would take the Eurostar to London, where I would spend either 4 or 5 nights, depending on the time spent at the above. From London, I would fly out to Geneva to continue on with the rest of my trip, which is looking no more straight-forward than this segment!
Anyway, my questions are:
1. Which option should I take and therefore at which city should I stay?
2. Would you recommend any alternative plans?
3. How many nights should be spent in London, given my interests? And at the other locations? Would you recommend cutting one destination for the sake of my sanity?
4. Given it will be summer, should I be looking for air-conditioned accommodation, or is this difficult to come by?
What should I do? Skip Amsterdam, Brugge, London... Or go to all?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 2 Euro Trivia Quiz #16
- 3 Switzerland help...?
- 4 Help with itinerary for girls trip to Swizterland
- 5 Best Area to Stay in Amsterdam
- 6 8 Days in Switzerland for the non skier
- 7 Northern Italy Itinerary Help
- 8 5 Observations About Paris
- 9 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 10 Story of the German Christmas star
- 11 How to decide where to go in Europe
- 12 Greece or Portugal for 3-4 week fall sojourn?
- 13 Best Location for Car Pickup in Naples
- 14 Italy dolomites
- 15 Brisighella or Castelvetro di Modena Lodgings in Emilia Romagna
- 16 Greece and Italy in 20 days
- 17 Scuol, Switzerland
- 18 Airport ATMs
- 19 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 20 Euro Trivia quiz #15 - Famous Folks and Places
- 21 Brittany France 2014 - Trip Report
- 22 Hotels in Toulouse & Montpellier
- 23 Have ten days to visit Munich, Salzburg and Switzerland
- 24 Italy 2015: making the internal plans
- 25 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??