I'm just finalising my plans for my Europe trip in July and August, from Australia. I will be catching a couple of flights but using trains for most of the trip and I am just wondering who has views on the best way to book. i.e is it better to buy tickets when we are there and for individual trips, or should we get a Eurail pass?
For the first train trip, from Barcelona to San Sebastian, I will be with two friends. For the rest of the journey, until Rome, I will be with one friend. Train trips will include:
- Barcelona to San Sebastian
- Antibes to Monterosso
- Monterosso to Padua
- Padua to Venice return (not sure I would need to count this as a day for a Eurail pass as I expect the trip will be quite cheap and easy enough to book on the morning we visit Venice?)
- Verona to Rome (this one isn't certain and we plan to get a car for a few days after Padua and head into the Dolomites and then either go to Florence or Verona for a couple of days. But if driving is hectic in these towns we will probably leave the car somewhere before either Verona or Florence and then get the train up the rest of the journey)
So that adds up to between four and six days of train travel.
After Rome I fly to Paris and may take a day trip somewhere but I will decide that when I am there. And then I go to London and have already booked the Eurostar for that trip.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 English Countryside
- 2 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #150
- 3 Andalusia March 2 - March 11 Barcelona to Lisbon
- 4 Granada to Madrid
- 5 Where to buy Saffron?
- 6 8 to 9 days in switzerland with swiss pass
- 7 Barcelona cooking classes
- 8 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 9 Athens daytrip - feasible?
- 10 1st time in ZURICH
- 11 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 12 Trip to CPH - Connection time in Oslo?
- 13 No Train On Kings Day Amsterdam?
- 14 May/June 2016 - Switzerland, Germany, and Austria - Hiking Included
- 15 Prague, Rome or Amsterdam
- 16 12 days itinerary - Netherland, Belgium & Germany
- 17 If you had to choose one......
- 18 Austria / Bavaria in late Oct/Early Nov
- 19 House Hunting in France
- 20 Need help with itinerary! Switzerland, France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 21 Cognac transportation?
- 22 An hour and ten min enough for connection?
- 23 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 24 First time in Europe for 10 days! Help!
- 25 Naples, Italy
What is the best way to book train travel in Spain, France and Italy?