I'm just finalising my plans for my Europe trip in July and August, from Australia. I will be catching a couple of flights but using trains for most of the trip and I am just wondering who has views on the best way to book. i.e is it better to buy tickets when we are there and for individual trips, or should we get a Eurail pass?
For the first train trip, from Barcelona to San Sebastian, I will be with two friends. For the rest of the journey, until Rome, I will be with one friend. Train trips will include:
- Barcelona to San Sebastian
- Antibes to Monterosso
- Monterosso to Padua
- Padua to Venice return (not sure I would need to count this as a day for a Eurail pass as I expect the trip will be quite cheap and easy enough to book on the morning we visit Venice?)
- Verona to Rome (this one isn't certain and we plan to get a car for a few days after Padua and head into the Dolomites and then either go to Florence or Verona for a couple of days. But if driving is hectic in these towns we will probably leave the car somewhere before either Verona or Florence and then get the train up the rest of the journey)
So that adds up to between four and six days of train travel.
After Rome I fly to Paris and may take a day trip somewhere but I will decide that when I am there. And then I go to London and have already booked the Eurostar for that trip.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 French Election - Questions???
- 2 2 weeks Europe trip
- 3 Leather goods in Florence
- 4 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 5 Lodging in Zurich and Lucerne?
- 6 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 7 Should I book my own guide for the Lourve and Versaille?
- 8 Gorges de Verdon to Eze - where to stay along way?
- 9 ALMERIA - 1 Day Excusions
- 10 What is the best travel insurance company?
- 11 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 12 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 13 Help me bookend our Bologna stay in December
- 14 Lucerne and Innsbruck
- 15 UZES & NIMES OR Orange & Châteauneuf du Pape
- 16 To Paris Beauvais? Thursday the 27th am?
- 17 Need Help with German Train Schedule
- 18 dinner jackets
- 19 French election
- 20 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 21 Paris & Cote d'Azur Trip report
- 22 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 23 10 days Greece in mid-Sept 2017
- 24 Restaurant suggestions in Lyon France? Overwhelmed!
- 25 Thrift Stores in Paris
What is the best way to book train travel in Spain, France and Italy?