I'm just finalising my plans for my Europe trip in July and August, from Australia. I will be catching a couple of flights but using trains for most of the trip and I am just wondering who has views on the best way to book. i.e is it better to buy tickets when we are there and for individual trips, or should we get a Eurail pass?
For the first train trip, from Barcelona to San Sebastian, I will be with two friends. For the rest of the journey, until Rome, I will be with one friend. Train trips will include:
- Barcelona to San Sebastian
- Antibes to Monterosso
- Monterosso to Padua
- Padua to Venice return (not sure I would need to count this as a day for a Eurail pass as I expect the trip will be quite cheap and easy enough to book on the morning we visit Venice?)
- Verona to Rome (this one isn't certain and we plan to get a car for a few days after Padua and head into the Dolomites and then either go to Florence or Verona for a couple of days. But if driving is hectic in these towns we will probably leave the car somewhere before either Verona or Florence and then get the train up the rest of the journey)
So that adds up to between four and six days of train travel.
After Rome I fly to Paris and may take a day trip somewhere but I will decide that when I am there. And then I go to London and have already booked the Eurostar for that trip.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 2 Rouen or Rennes to pick up Rental Car
- 3 Too Little Time in Ireland--Advice?
- 4 Trip Report: 17 glorious days in Northern Spain
- 5 Help me decide which major city to cut based on time of year.
- 6 Germany vs Sweden nightlife
- 7 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 8 Possible French strike on 9/21
- 9 Will Bottle of Champagne Pass Thru Customs at Athens Airport Upon Arrival?
- 10 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 11 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 12 PARIS
- 13 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 14 London vacation rental agency
- 15 Sicily help
- 16 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 17 To the top of Europe, and back again.
- 18 Christmas markets
- 19 Airline to Rome
- 20 SE ITALY
- 21 monograms vacation tours
- 22 Trip report: Paris-Bordeaux-Barcelona-Madrid
- 23 Towns around Lucca
- 24 Thinking about the Fjords
- 25 Help Planning Denmark Sweden Norway trip
What is the best way to book train travel in Spain, France and Italy?