I'm just finalising my plans for my Europe trip in July and August, from Australia. I will be catching a couple of flights but using trains for most of the trip and I am just wondering who has views on the best way to book. i.e is it better to buy tickets when we are there and for individual trips, or should we get a Eurail pass?
For the first train trip, from Barcelona to San Sebastian, I will be with two friends. For the rest of the journey, until Rome, I will be with one friend. Train trips will include:
- Barcelona to San Sebastian
- Antibes to Monterosso
- Monterosso to Padua
- Padua to Venice return (not sure I would need to count this as a day for a Eurail pass as I expect the trip will be quite cheap and easy enough to book on the morning we visit Venice?)
- Verona to Rome (this one isn't certain and we plan to get a car for a few days after Padua and head into the Dolomites and then either go to Florence or Verona for a couple of days. But if driving is hectic in these towns we will probably leave the car somewhere before either Verona or Florence and then get the train up the rest of the journey)
So that adds up to between four and six days of train travel.
After Rome I fly to Paris and may take a day trip somewhere but I will decide that when I am there. And then I go to London and have already booked the Eurostar for that trip.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 8-9 day Paris-Amsterdam-Rome
- 2 Frustrated about Smolensk
- 3 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 4 Venice
- 5 yk's 12 days in Spain by herself Trip Report
- 6 Itinerary help Germany/Austria/Dolomites
- 7 16-17 days in Western Europe
- 8 Where to Begin If You're Ending in Amsterdam
- 9 Another Book List for Italy
- 10 18-19 day Budapest -Croatia itinerary
- 11 Charming hotel in a village along the Rhine?
- 12 Last night in Sweden
- 13 Best Itinerary for 15 Days?
- 14 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 15 Paris or Edinburgh - 3 days which to choose?
- 16 PARIS: Mini Trip Report, Maxi Enjoyment!
- 17 charming cities in Spain
- 18 Beautiful Ireland: a 3-week solo journey.
- 19 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?
- 20 Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
- 21 Itinerary Help for Portugal
- 22 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 23 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 24 Berlin, Nice and London
- 25 Seeking advice from Tuscany experts
What is the best way to book train travel in Spain, France and Italy?