I'm just finalising my plans for my Europe trip in July and August, from Australia. I will be catching a couple of flights but using trains for most of the trip and I am just wondering who has views on the best way to book. i.e is it better to buy tickets when we are there and for individual trips, or should we get a Eurail pass?
For the first train trip, from Barcelona to San Sebastian, I will be with two friends. For the rest of the journey, until Rome, I will be with one friend. Train trips will include:
- Barcelona to San Sebastian
- Antibes to Monterosso
- Monterosso to Padua
- Padua to Venice return (not sure I would need to count this as a day for a Eurail pass as I expect the trip will be quite cheap and easy enough to book on the morning we visit Venice?)
- Verona to Rome (this one isn't certain and we plan to get a car for a few days after Padua and head into the Dolomites and then either go to Florence or Verona for a couple of days. But if driving is hectic in these towns we will probably leave the car somewhere before either Verona or Florence and then get the train up the rest of the journey)
So that adds up to between four and six days of train travel.
After Rome I fly to Paris and may take a day trip somewhere but I will decide that when I am there. And then I go to London and have already booked the Eurostar for that trip.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Barcelona - places to stay
- 2 Italica (Sevilla) or Medina al-Zahra (Cordoba)
- 3 Guide in Russia
- 4 Train travel
- 5 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 6 SKIP THE LINE TICKETS TO VERSAILLES AND LOUVRE
- 7 My delightful sampling of Switzerland’s gems, with many thanks
- 8 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 9 Switzerland for 2 weeks
- 10 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 11 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 12 travel fan 220v?
- 13 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 14 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 15 First Trip to Paris
- 16 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?
- 17 A litle of the UK, some of Belgium and a bit more France.
- 18 B&Bs in Ireland
- 19 Store luggage in Rome for a few hours
- 20 WWI Battlefields
- 21 2 Days in Tarragona...what to do ?
- 22 Visiting Zurich
- 23 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 24 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 25 Switzerland
What is the best way to book train travel in Spain, France and Italy?