I'm just finalising my plans for my Europe trip in July and August, from Australia. I will be catching a couple of flights but using trains for most of the trip and I am just wondering who has views on the best way to book. i.e is it better to buy tickets when we are there and for individual trips, or should we get a Eurail pass?
For the first train trip, from Barcelona to San Sebastian, I will be with two friends. For the rest of the journey, until Rome, I will be with one friend. Train trips will include:
- Barcelona to San Sebastian
- Antibes to Monterosso
- Monterosso to Padua
- Padua to Venice return (not sure I would need to count this as a day for a Eurail pass as I expect the trip will be quite cheap and easy enough to book on the morning we visit Venice?)
- Verona to Rome (this one isn't certain and we plan to get a car for a few days after Padua and head into the Dolomites and then either go to Florence or Verona for a couple of days. But if driving is hectic in these towns we will probably leave the car somewhere before either Verona or Florence and then get the train up the rest of the journey)
So that adds up to between four and six days of train travel.
After Rome I fly to Paris and may take a day trip somewhere but I will decide that when I am there. And then I go to London and have already booked the Eurostar for that trip.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 best place in london for indian food without paying an arm and a leg
- 2 Keira-Caitlyn Travels to Turkey...adventures in Istanbul and Ephesus
- 3 How much time to allow between arrival at CDG and train departure?
- 4 Switzerland swiss mountain passes so confusing, jungfrou
- 5 Restaurant suggestions in Lyon France? Overwhelmed!
- 6 Need help deciphering benefits of Swiss train pass vs German 25% off...
- 7 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 8 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK
- 9 Proposed electronics ban and questions about my Kindle
- 10 3 nights in Madrid
- 11 Help with Ireland Trip
- 12 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 13 Hotels in Positano, Capri, & Naples
- 14 Europe Winter Itinerary
- 15 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 16 Great Food restaurant, cafes, bars, winery, food shops in Provence and Lyon
- 17 Ideas for vacation to Germany
- 18 Best Barcelona neighborhood
- 19 Base for Hidcote, etc. from London
- 20 Ireland base towns (and timing) - Connemara/W. Cork?
- 21 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 22 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 23 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 24 Iceland trip report!
- 25 Swimming in Lake Bled?
What is the best way to book train travel in Spain, France and Italy?