I've poked around the forums a bit, but most of the threads are focused on rental cars. A couple friends and I are looking into a 7-10 day excursion in Western Norway in late-May 2011 and I was hoping to get a couple perspectives!
We'd like to start in Bergen for a couple days and then head north to Stalheim by Voss. We'd love to go kayaking and hiking along the Sognefjord, but is it possible to have day trips to Balestrand and Fjaerland from Stalheim? Is there public transportation to any of these places from Stalheim or is that usually through tours?
Afterward, we'd like to head south by Stavanger to Lysefjord to hike Preikestolen and maybe a trail ride on horseback around there. Can anyone recommended any B&B or safe hostels for a couple of active travelers? We're all in our mid-20s and on a budget. Are these two side trips from Bergen doable by public transportation or is rental car the way to go? I know the itinerary is still in the early stages, but is there anything we're missing out on?
Western Norway Trip Suggestions - Train Accessible
- 1 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 2 Dresden Train Station
- 3 Help me plan a vacation to Paris!
- 4 10 Summer days in Spain: Barcelona alone or Madrid too?
- 5 London for Christmas
- 6 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 7 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 8 Chambermaid tipping
- 9 River cruises
- 10 Popping in and out of Ireland
- 11 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 12 Week in Interlaken at end of February
- 13 Trulli Foodie Puglia-two weeks to eat through!!!
- 14 More help with housing in Puglia
- 15 Northern Italy Honeymoon- Alps and Italian Favorites
- 16 Lake District, Hawkshead or Keswick?
- 17 Stockholm Hotel Advice Help I'm torn Hotel Rival, Reisen or Story?????
- 18 7 days in Andalucia
- 19 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 20 Geneva-Verbier-Zurich
- 21 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 22 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 23 Oh Solomillo! 15 Days in Spain
- 24 Switzerland up close...360 views
- 25 Home from Rome - a trip report