I've poked around the forums a bit, but most of the threads are focused on rental cars. A couple friends and I are looking into a 7-10 day excursion in Western Norway in late-May 2011 and I was hoping to get a couple perspectives!
We'd like to start in Bergen for a couple days and then head north to Stalheim by Voss. We'd love to go kayaking and hiking along the Sognefjord, but is it possible to have day trips to Balestrand and Fjaerland from Stalheim? Is there public transportation to any of these places from Stalheim or is that usually through tours?
Afterward, we'd like to head south by Stavanger to Lysefjord to hike Preikestolen and maybe a trail ride on horseback around there. Can anyone recommended any B&B or safe hostels for a couple of active travelers? We're all in our mid-20s and on a budget. Are these two side trips from Bergen doable by public transportation or is rental car the way to go? I know the itinerary is still in the early stages, but is there anything we're missing out on?
Western Norway Trip Suggestions - Train Accessible
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2 full days in Santorini, should we rent a car ?
- 2 Which is a better hotel location in Rome
- 3 Arriving in Prague
- 4 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 5 4 Months in Europe
- 6 2 Days in Rome
- 7 Using Debit Cards for Purchases
- 8 Should one go to an iconic place to eat something not very palatable?
- 9 What to do when your intra-Europe flight gets delayed?
- 10 Good book about 20th C. European history?
- 11 My trip to Paris and Normandy June 2014
- 12 Tipping in the UK
- 13 Photography Trip Ideas in Eastern Europe
- 14 2 weeks in Spain
- 15 Going to Paris? Be yourself
- 16 Barcelona next week, itinerary critique?
- 17 Wines charted by flavor
- 18 Museum Pass
- 19 Central Europe itinerary
- 20 Barcelona Hotels, Looking for recommendations
- 21 Ellen & Stu Dudley's trip to the Ile de Re & the Loire.
- 22 France in October
- 23 Day trips out of Florence?
- 24 Planning 18 day euro trip HELP
- 25 Venice; recommendations