Planning a trip to UK next year and we want to include at least a week in Wales. Our style is to drive ourselves and stay at coaching inns or b&bs. We've travelled across North Wales (catching the Holyhead ferry to Ireland) and South Wales (Laughanne, Hay-on-Wye etc). We fancy getting a feel for the countryside, the valleys, the choral music, in between. Specific places on our list include Portmeirion and Strata Florida (near Tregaron). We're looking at coming in from Bristol over the Severn and heading up toward Monmouth? Abergavenny? Merthyr Tidfil? (any suggestions here?) then on to Aberystwith (Strata Florida and Portmeirion could be daytrips from there) and coming back across to Shrewsbury. Any ideas and suggestions about scenic driving routes and good places to stay would be most welcome. Thank you.
Welsh Valleys by car
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Autumn in Paris
- 2 Portugal Trip Report 2014
- 3 Updated ATM info for Greece and Turkey
- 4 Croatia, Slovenia, Salzburg and Prague 3 week Trip Report
- 5 Spain, best travel route between Madrid & Barcelona?
- 6 What kind of Tourist are you?
- 7 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 8 Need Advice: 9 Days in Portugal in March
- 9 Weekend in Norfolk
- 10 Verona/Vicenza/Trieste--Best Place to Pick up Rental Car for Croatia
- 11 Riva del Garda to Rome
- 12 If you are looking for a good restaurant in Lisbon..
- 13 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 14 Burgundy in May
- 15 Spain-Would appreciate input on itinerary
- 16 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 17 NEED ADVICE: 2 Months in Italy, 1 Month through Spain, Greece, and France
- 18 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 19 St Germain
- 20 Lavido, Ireland? Where is it??
- 21 Pisa/Lucca Day Trip
- 22 3 Countries - Bar Trip - need advice
- 23 Trip report: Kayaking, Riding and fall in Split, Croatia
- 24 A Greek sojourn
- 25 Paul Durand-Ruel -The Gamble of the Impressionists - Manet, Monet, Renoir