Planning a trip to UK next year and we want to include at least a week in Wales. Our style is to drive ourselves and stay at coaching inns or b&bs. We've travelled across North Wales (catching the Holyhead ferry to Ireland) and South Wales (Laughanne, Hay-on-Wye etc). We fancy getting a feel for the countryside, the valleys, the choral music, in between. Specific places on our list include Portmeirion and Strata Florida (near Tregaron). We're looking at coming in from Bristol over the Severn and heading up toward Monmouth? Abergavenny? Merthyr Tidfil? (any suggestions here?) then on to Aberystwith (Strata Florida and Portmeirion could be daytrips from there) and coming back across to Shrewsbury. Any ideas and suggestions about scenic driving routes and good places to stay would be most welcome. Thank you.
Welsh Valleys by car
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hotels in Toulouse & Montpellier
- 2 A month in Europe - how does this sound?
- 3 Airport ATMs
- 4 Brittany France 2014 - Trip Report
- 5 London to Paris by train
- 6 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 7 Eastern Europe
- 8 First time to Switzerland
- 9 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 10 Caserta, Italy? Anyone Been There?
- 11 All Set To Go!!
- 12 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 13 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 14 4 weeks in the UK
- 15 Granada
- 16 Have ten days to visit Munich, Salzburg and Switzerland
- 17 Euro Trivia Quiz #13... Ulysses S. Grant's European Tour?
- 18 Dublin, love it or hate it? please tell me why
- 19 Early stages of planning for Euro trip + would love suggestions
- 20 Switzerland help...?
- 21 Euro Trivia quiz #15 - Famous Folks and Places
- 22 Best Area to Stay in Amsterdam
- 23 Family vacay for 6 weeks with 2 Toddlers
- 24 Looking for clean & reputable hotels in Venice, Florence and Rome!
- 25 10 Days in Emilia-Romagna : Thinking of 3 Days Bologna and Then??