Planning a trip to UK next year and we want to include at least a week in Wales. Our style is to drive ourselves and stay at coaching inns or b&bs. We've travelled across North Wales (catching the Holyhead ferry to Ireland) and South Wales (Laughanne, Hay-on-Wye etc). We fancy getting a feel for the countryside, the valleys, the choral music, in between. Specific places on our list include Portmeirion and Strata Florida (near Tregaron). We're looking at coming in from Bristol over the Severn and heading up toward Monmouth? Abergavenny? Merthyr Tidfil? (any suggestions here?) then on to Aberystwith (Strata Florida and Portmeirion could be daytrips from there) and coming back across to Shrewsbury. Any ideas and suggestions about scenic driving routes and good places to stay would be most welcome. Thank you.
Welsh Valleys by car
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best Area to Stay in Amsterdam
- 2 Spain/EU trip in february "History,Nature is our main goal"
- 3 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 4 For those interested in visiting WW I sites in France
- 5 A month in Europe - how does this sound?
- 6 All Set To Go!!
- 7 Hotels in Toulouse & Montpellier
- 8 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 9 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews
- 10 Renfe planning strike December 26th
- 11 Ireland, Honeymoon, early June 2015, active couple
- 12 22 year olds in Europe
- 13 Earthquakes in Tuscany
- 14 Granada
- 15 Tour Guide in Budapest
- 16 Caserta, Italy? Anyone Been There?
- 17 Istanbul Bosphorus Tour
- 18 Early stages of planning for Euro trip + would love suggestions
- 19 Rome bus tours-which one?
- 20 Coffee in Naples
- 21 A Sardinia trip report
- 22 First time Ireland trip
- 23 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 24 Favorite place for morning espresso or cappucino in Venice
- 25 Spain and Portugal in Depth