Planning a trip to UK next year and we want to include at least a week in Wales. Our style is to drive ourselves and stay at coaching inns or b&bs. We've travelled across North Wales (catching the Holyhead ferry to Ireland) and South Wales (Laughanne, Hay-on-Wye etc). We fancy getting a feel for the countryside, the valleys, the choral music, in between. Specific places on our list include Portmeirion and Strata Florida (near Tregaron). We're looking at coming in from Bristol over the Severn and heading up toward Monmouth? Abergavenny? Merthyr Tidfil? (any suggestions here?) then on to Aberystwith (Strata Florida and Portmeirion could be daytrips from there) and coming back across to Shrewsbury. Any ideas and suggestions about scenic driving routes and good places to stay would be most welcome. Thank you.
Welsh Valleys by car
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Private guide in Germany - typical fees?
- 2 Gatwick to Stratford Station
- 3 Help me find a Villa in Val D'Orcia this Summer!
- 4 Apartments in Rome you have rented and liked
- 5 Returning Oyster card at Kings Cross rail station in London
- 6 driving from Bordeaux to Paris
- 7 Belgium - Amsterdam - Dusseldorf
- 8 Amsterdam - My Favorite Things!
- 9 Amsterdam
- 10 Inexperienced traveler trying to plan for 2 weeks in Europe!
- 11 Drug addict cleansing in France and Spain
- 12 From Bordeaux to Toulouse
- 13 SoS!!! Rome Hotel Prices - Why soooo expensive????
- 14 Train Madrid-Granada-Seville?
- 15 Vienna-Cesky Krumlov-Prague-Vienna for 7 days
- 16 Dublin to Cashel
- 17 Mykonos plus another Island. Which one?
- 18 2-week Central/Eastern Europe itinerary questions
- 19 2 week Europe trip adivce
- 20 Paris and Normandy Trains
- 21 Paris: Best Baguette of 2015
- 22 Paris and Normandy Trains
- 23 Slow, south of france with a baby, a five year old and no driving
- 24 Paris: Best Wine Bars
- 25 Advice for Venice/Rome Trip