Planning a trip to UK next year and we want to include at least a week in Wales. Our style is to drive ourselves and stay at coaching inns or b&bs. We've travelled across North Wales (catching the Holyhead ferry to Ireland) and South Wales (Laughanne, Hay-on-Wye etc). We fancy getting a feel for the countryside, the valleys, the choral music, in between. Specific places on our list include Portmeirion and Strata Florida (near Tregaron). We're looking at coming in from Bristol over the Severn and heading up toward Monmouth? Abergavenny? Merthyr Tidfil? (any suggestions here?) then on to Aberystwith (Strata Florida and Portmeirion could be daytrips from there) and coming back across to Shrewsbury. Any ideas and suggestions about scenic driving routes and good places to stay would be most welcome. Thank you.
Welsh Valleys by car
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Should I buy Euro's now?
- 2 One Week in Amsterdam with Children
- 3 Visiting Bastogne and nearby - should I stay there or Liege or elsewhere?
- 4 A Week in Spain
- 5 Food safety in Istanbul.
- 6 Gastehaus Alpenkranz
- 7 Now for the Venice hotel
- 8 Germany - Poland - Italy itinerary help requested
- 9 Recharging an Old Lebara SIM?
- 10 Quiet beach town in Italy?
- 11 6-Week Europe Itinerary - Thoughts and Suggestions?
- 12 Initial itinerary – Northern Spain and Catalunya
- 13 week in scotland
- 14 Madrid hotel near Atocha Station
- 15 Plane or Train Lisbon to Porto?
- 16 Innsbruck and surroundings
- 17 Where to stay near Loire castles?
- 18 Need advice for Madrid/ Castilla Leon / Basque / Aveiro
- 19 Rocamaxour
- 20 Travelling by train across Central and Eastern Europe
- 21 Practicing Spanish while in Spain - any ideas?
- 22 Travel with kids (6 & 8 yrs) to Germany/Switzerland/Liechtenstein
- 23 Umbria - planning for 3 or 4 days in April
- 24 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 25 5 PM Opera at La Scala on a Sunday night