Planning a trip to UK next year and we want to include at least a week in Wales. Our style is to drive ourselves and stay at coaching inns or b&bs. We've travelled across North Wales (catching the Holyhead ferry to Ireland) and South Wales (Laughanne, Hay-on-Wye etc). We fancy getting a feel for the countryside, the valleys, the choral music, in between. Specific places on our list include Portmeirion and Strata Florida (near Tregaron). We're looking at coming in from Bristol over the Severn and heading up toward Monmouth? Abergavenny? Merthyr Tidfil? (any suggestions here?) then on to Aberystwith (Strata Florida and Portmeirion could be daytrips from there) and coming back across to Shrewsbury. Any ideas and suggestions about scenic driving routes and good places to stay would be most welcome. Thank you.
Welsh Valleys by car
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Is it worth driving around Southern Tuscany if we don't drink wine?
- 2 30 day Multi-Country Europe Trip in June- PLEASE HELP WITH ITINERARY!!!
- 3 Scotland Votes "No"
- 4 paris apartment opinion airbnb
- 5 Planning 18 day euro trip HELP
- 6 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 7 Pre-Trip Jitters!
- 8 Maitaitom & Tracy's Romantic 20th Anniversary Paris 2014 Trip In September
- 9 Cell phones- London and Paris
- 10 Olive Oil
- 11 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 12 Trip Report : North of Spain
- 13 Three Week Graduation Trip to Amsterdam, Bruges, Berlin, and Paris
- 14 A bit MORE of the Camino de Santiago
- 15 Wine tour from Verona?
- 16 Paris in 1 Day
- 17 January in Ireland: Recommendations on Lodging?
- 18 Madrid Apartment Rentals
- 19 Madrid: Atmospheric Old Taverns
- 20 Aix En Provence to Marsilles or Nice for a few days?
- 21 3 adults in a Triple room at Hotel Attalos- crazy?
- 22 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 23 Air France strike is extended until 26 September
- 24 Has anyone used a Tour Guide in Sicily?
- 25 Rental car return -> Taxi at Barcelona Airport