Planning a trip to UK next year and we want to include at least a week in Wales. Our style is to drive ourselves and stay at coaching inns or b&bs. We've travelled across North Wales (catching the Holyhead ferry to Ireland) and South Wales (Laughanne, Hay-on-Wye etc). We fancy getting a feel for the countryside, the valleys, the choral music, in between. Specific places on our list include Portmeirion and Strata Florida (near Tregaron). We're looking at coming in from Bristol over the Severn and heading up toward Monmouth? Abergavenny? Merthyr Tidfil? (any suggestions here?) then on to Aberystwith (Strata Florida and Portmeirion could be daytrips from there) and coming back across to Shrewsbury. Any ideas and suggestions about scenic driving routes and good places to stay would be most welcome. Thank you.
Welsh Valleys by car
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Air France strike
- 2 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 3 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 4 shortened trip to Italy
- 5 Italy tours
- 6 Exchanging Large Euro Notes(Currency) in Ireland
- 7 Rome, and Eastern Europe by older single woman
- 8 Amsterdam
- 9 Early October 2014 Trip to Mosel Valley and Rhineland
- 10 Gift for French business associate
- 11 Rheinland-Pfalz Day Pass & Rhine Cruise
- 12 Sunny September Trip Report
- 13 Trip Report, part 1
- 14 Hurtigruten Cruise excursions alternatives, coast of Norway
- 15 2 weeks on Lake Maggiore
- 16 Travel insurance, interruption or cancelation?
- 17 Advice for 6 nights 7 Days in Switzerland
- 18 Looking for Suggestions - 12 Day Agenda for Greece
- 19 lauterbrunnen-wengen 4 days
- 20 London GTG late September?
- 21 cell phone usage in Italy (US)
- 22 Mr & Mrs Annhig go bummelling round Germany.
- 23 Once Again Asking .... This Time Ireland
- 24 Where is this place in Denmark?
- 25 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15