Planning a trip to UK next year and we want to include at least a week in Wales. Our style is to drive ourselves and stay at coaching inns or b&bs. We've travelled across North Wales (catching the Holyhead ferry to Ireland) and South Wales (Laughanne, Hay-on-Wye etc). We fancy getting a feel for the countryside, the valleys, the choral music, in between. Specific places on our list include Portmeirion and Strata Florida (near Tregaron). We're looking at coming in from Bristol over the Severn and heading up toward Monmouth? Abergavenny? Merthyr Tidfil? (any suggestions here?) then on to Aberystwith (Strata Florida and Portmeirion could be daytrips from there) and coming back across to Shrewsbury. Any ideas and suggestions about scenic driving routes and good places to stay would be most welcome. Thank you.
Welsh Valleys by car
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Reykjavik hotels
- 2 Taking a group to Istanbul: need advice
- 3 I dream of Europe
- 4 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 5 Parma- Uh, Oops- Historic Dist. Ticket
- 6 First Time to UK since 2001
- 7 Loire Valley - Private Driver/Guide
- 8 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 9 Solo 55 year old female in Istanbul for 3.5 days mid-December
- 10 need help with a european/UK winter travel itinerary (3 weeks)
- 11 Top 10 Don't Miss -- ROI and NI
- 12 Madrid & Andalucía: 26 Years Later
- 13 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 14 Cappadocia/Kas/Cirali/IST Spring 2014 Trip Report
- 15 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 16 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 17 Mittenwald (or general vicinity)
- 18 Two Dip-$hits go to Italy! Amalfi Coast, Rome and Bologna
- 19 Brussels or Amsterdam?
- 20 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 21 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 22 Spain-Would appreciate input on itinerary
- 23 Tentative Itinerary for London & south east UK
- 24 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 25 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014