My husband and I were in Switzerland two years ago. We travelled the entire eastern portion and it was fabulous. Here are my observations, and please excuse the spelling. Lucerne is a wonderful place for a day trip and not to be missed. I would not recommend staying there, however, since it is very touristy and very expensive. But definitely worth a train trip for the day. Each town has its own characteristics. Our very favorite by far was Appenzel. The people were warm and friendly and it is a romantic storybook town. Fantastic scenery and shopping and restaurants at the most reasonable prices we encountered anywhere in Switzerland. Charm does not begin to describe the beauty of the architecture in the center of town. It is quintessential Switzerland. Our next favorite spot was Triesenburg which is in Liechtenstein, right next to Switzerland. We stayed at the Hotel Kulm which was awesome. Halfway up a mountain. Fantastic rooms, incredible scenery, warm and welcoming and helpful owners and staff. And, REASONABLE prices. Incredible. No matter where you are in Switzerland or Liechtenstein, the public transportation is phenomenal. Easy to understand, frequent departures on busses or trains. All stops centrally located in the middle and within walking distance of everything. Be sure to check out "passes" as individual trips can be pricey. In every town, the train station is is the middle of your destination and has a wonderful and reasonable restaurant (really). There is always a map outside so you can figure out where you're going. If you can rent a car for a day or two, there is a road parallel to the (I think) Glacier Express train tracks. The scenery is absolutely spectacular. For further info, be sure to pick up a comprehensive tour guide. Read it and take it with you. For more info and tips, feel free to e-mail!
Want info on out of the way spots in Switzerland and Germany
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A drive in Europe
- 2 Calling Jamikins
- 3 Best French Onion Soup in Paris
- 4 Buying handbags and shoes in Italy, how much should I budget?
- 5 Eiffel Tower Replica - where to buy, or how to make?
- 6 Help with Barcelona Plans Please!
- 7 Southern Spain wth family in 1 week by car
- 8 How to get from Greenwich to Victoria Station
- 9 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 10 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 11 Europe in 21 days
- 12 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 13 Phone for in-country calls in Greece
- 14 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 15 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 16 Munich to Lyon (10 nights) --- help needed with itinerary please
- 17 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 18 UK for 12 days !
- 19 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 20 Budapest 4 nights - Top 10 must do
- 21 Edinburgh for 7 days for 60+
- 22 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 23 London hotel
- 24 Help wanted for choosing apartment/hotel in Istanbul (early May 2014)
- 25 Your Advice: Bosphorus Cruise. Ortakoy and Dolmabahce Palace