My husband and I were in Switzerland two years ago. We travelled the entire eastern portion and it was fabulous. Here are my observations, and please excuse the spelling. Lucerne is a wonderful place for a day trip and not to be missed. I would not recommend staying there, however, since it is very touristy and very expensive. But definitely worth a train trip for the day. Each town has its own characteristics. Our very favorite by far was Appenzel. The people were warm and friendly and it is a romantic storybook town. Fantastic scenery and shopping and restaurants at the most reasonable prices we encountered anywhere in Switzerland. Charm does not begin to describe the beauty of the architecture in the center of town. It is quintessential Switzerland. Our next favorite spot was Triesenburg which is in Liechtenstein, right next to Switzerland. We stayed at the Hotel Kulm which was awesome. Halfway up a mountain. Fantastic rooms, incredible scenery, warm and welcoming and helpful owners and staff. And, REASONABLE prices. Incredible. No matter where you are in Switzerland or Liechtenstein, the public transportation is phenomenal. Easy to understand, frequent departures on busses or trains. All stops centrally located in the middle and within walking distance of everything. Be sure to check out "passes" as individual trips can be pricey. In every town, the train station is is the middle of your destination and has a wonderful and reasonable restaurant (really). There is always a map outside so you can figure out where you're going. If you can rent a car for a day or two, there is a road parallel to the (I think) Glacier Express train tracks. The scenery is absolutely spectacular. For further info, be sure to pick up a comprehensive tour guide. Read it and take it with you. For more info and tips, feel free to e-mail!
Want info on out of the way spots in Switzerland and Germany
View all Europe activity »
- 1 London at Easter
- 2 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 3 Prague - must see
- 4 Travel by train or bus
- 5 Confirming..."Buy train tickets the day of departure" advice....M/V/Rome
- 6 Turkey: Istanbul, Ephesus, Cappadocia
- 7 Car in Prague
- 8 Which travel plan?
- 9 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 10 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 11 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 12 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 13 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 14 Family European winter holiday
- 15 To Paris and Provence in June
- 16 Paris to Colmar by Car...Best Route/Stops along the way?
- 17 Planning a holiday
- 18 Rome itinerary check over New Years....comments?? suggestions??
- 19 Castles, Palaces and Caves-9 Days in Puglia and Basilicata
- 20 suggestions for a base in france -rouen to st malo in 4 days
- 21 How to Travel from Seville to Malaga
- 22 20 day Backpacking Trip
- 23 4 Women Exploring London Dec 19-23
- 24 Need help with picking a place to stay between Paris and Bari
- 25 Le Marche and Rome - Part 3 - Recanati