My husband and I were in Switzerland two years ago. We travelled the entire eastern portion and it was fabulous. Here are my observations, and please excuse the spelling. Lucerne is a wonderful place for a day trip and not to be missed. I would not recommend staying there, however, since it is very touristy and very expensive. But definitely worth a train trip for the day. Each town has its own characteristics. Our very favorite by far was Appenzel. The people were warm and friendly and it is a romantic storybook town. Fantastic scenery and shopping and restaurants at the most reasonable prices we encountered anywhere in Switzerland. Charm does not begin to describe the beauty of the architecture in the center of town. It is quintessential Switzerland. Our next favorite spot was Triesenburg which is in Liechtenstein, right next to Switzerland. We stayed at the Hotel Kulm which was awesome. Halfway up a mountain. Fantastic rooms, incredible scenery, warm and welcoming and helpful owners and staff. And, REASONABLE prices. Incredible. No matter where you are in Switzerland or Liechtenstein, the public transportation is phenomenal. Easy to understand, frequent departures on busses or trains. All stops centrally located in the middle and within walking distance of everything. Be sure to check out "passes" as individual trips can be pricey. In every town, the train station is is the middle of your destination and has a wonderful and reasonable restaurant (really). There is always a map outside so you can figure out where you're going. If you can rent a car for a day or two, there is a road parallel to the (I think) Glacier Express train tracks. The scenery is absolutely spectacular. For further info, be sure to pick up a comprehensive tour guide. Read it and take it with you. For more info and tips, feel free to e-mail!
Want info on out of the way spots in Switzerland and Germany
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Eurostar London to Avignon Thru Trains Start June 28!
- 2 Venice canal boats--best deals?
- 3 West Ireland with 81 year old mother - Pls Review Itinerary
- 4 Salzburg, Innsbruck, and possibly Graz with my 90yr old Mom
- 5 Trip to Italy with teenagers
- 6 italy
- 7 Advance Tickets Segrada Familia - Barcelona
- 8 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 9 Tentative itinerary for Andalucia for April/May 2015
- 10 Finland to Sweden to Denmark to France to UK
- 11 Croatia in August - 2 weeks, 2 kids
- 12 What still confounds you about travel?
- 13 Pre-Purchasing Train Tickets
- 14 FRANCE: SIM CARD
- 15 Best route from Pamukkale to Fethiye by car
- 16 Advice on Two Week Itinerary Please! (London,Paris,Luxembourg,Brussels)
- 17 Planning first Solo Backpacking in Europe!
- 18 Chip but no PIN
- 19 Greece--Crete or Peloponnis?
- 20 Madrid and London
- 21 Ryanair Cabin Luggage
- 22 Eatwith - dine with locals
- 23 Day trip to Rothenberg from Munich
- 24 Pronunciation
- 25 Ireland 8 day Itinerary help