After visiting family in Germany for a few days, DH and I are flying from MUC to BLQ and picking up a car for the Italian portion of our trip. We've hit most of the majors before, so this will just be Tuscany. We are traveling the first week in August.
It's the first two nights I'm concerned with. After that we have four nights booked in Pienza to explore the Val d' Orcia.
My original thought was to spend two nights in Volterra to see some Etruscan sites and the Roman Amphitheater. When I was booking originally, nothing 'in' Volterra was available that had air conditioning. So I relented and booked in San Gimignano here: http://www.leonbianco.com/
The idea was, stay in San Gim and see it in the evening, and travel to Volterra for our one full day in the area as a day trip. A kind of two for one.
Later, this property became available in Volterra:
I've read two short articles lately, one that absolutely panned San Gim, the other still saw it as a viable option.
Any recent impressions on San Gim, or the travel between San Gim and Volterra? If it were YOUR trip, what would you do?
I would appreciate any and all input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 napologetic Napoli, Uncompromising Capri, and Unassuming Amalfi
- 2 One free day in Barcelona
- 3 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 4 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 5 initial planning: Dublin, solo, February
- 6 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 7 Possible French strike on 9/21
- 8 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 9 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 10 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Andalusia
- 11 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 12 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?
- 13 Austrian Train Purchase from US
- 14 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 15 Bordeaux to Nice
- 16 Greek Village
- 17 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 18 Selecting the right Travel Pass (or not at all)
- 19 Uber vs. TfL
- 20 Berlin
- 21 A Trip Report: Springtime in Italy - May 9 to June 2, 2011
- 22 Germany or Sweden
- 23 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 24 Firenze, Venezia, Cruise, Cinque Terre, Nce
- 25 Two days in Rome