We, myself, my DH, son and his fiance, are in Lauterbrunnen at the moment and I have a question regarding visitors to this area. I am hesitant to post because I do not want anyone to think I am racist, because I am far from it, but I am curious.
Last time we visited the Berner Oberland, in August 2009, there was a mix of different nationalities visiting the area. This time there is an abundance of Indian families visiting the area. My husband, son and I estimate that there are approximately 50 Indian visitors for every one non-Indian visitor. And that is not an exaggeration. I feel as though I am visiting India at the moment. At the Jungfrau yesterday there is even a brand new Bollywood restaurant.
It's just a curious observation and all of us wondered if anyone has an idea as to why this area has so many Indian visitors right now: is it vacation time in India right now? Is the exchange rate phenomenal? But why this area in particular? We were in Rome and Venice last week and just saw a lot of different nationalities everywhere we went.
By, the way, the wildflowers are gorgeous right now and the waterfalls are unbelievable...just beautiful. Off to Austria tomorrow.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 places : Italy Austria Germany Switzerland France Belgium Spain
- 2 Provence, Strasbourg, Paris early September
- 3 Budva or Perast in Montenegro
- 4 Amsterdam and Antwerp?
- 5 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 6 Varenna to hotel near Milan airport
- 7 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 8 Italy in a week
- 9 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 10 3 Weeks in Scotland and Ireland
- 11 3 days in Paris then on to London what do we have to see?
- 12 What are your favorite restaurants in Prague? (+itinerary critique)
- 13 Crannog Centre or Atholl Country Life Museum
- 14 first time for teens in spain-barcelona and where else?
- 15 Advice for Time in Cumbria and/or Yorkshire Dales
- 16 My special places in Europe
- 17 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 18 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 19 Bologna, Modena or Parma for a base?
- 20 Weather in Budapest in late September
- 21 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 22 Coastal daytrip from Dartmoor Park
- 23 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 24 Travelling with Vueling?
- 25 Night Bus?