We, myself, my DH, son and his fiance, are in Lauterbrunnen at the moment and I have a question regarding visitors to this area. I am hesitant to post because I do not want anyone to think I am racist, because I am far from it, but I am curious.
Last time we visited the Berner Oberland, in August 2009, there was a mix of different nationalities visiting the area. This time there is an abundance of Indian families visiting the area. My husband, son and I estimate that there are approximately 50 Indian visitors for every one non-Indian visitor. And that is not an exaggeration. I feel as though I am visiting India at the moment. At the Jungfrau yesterday there is even a brand new Bollywood restaurant.
It's just a curious observation and all of us wondered if anyone has an idea as to why this area has so many Indian visitors right now: is it vacation time in India right now? Is the exchange rate phenomenal? But why this area in particular? We were in Rome and Venice last week and just saw a lot of different nationalities everywhere we went.
By, the way, the wildflowers are gorgeous right now and the waterfalls are unbelievable...just beautiful. Off to Austria tomorrow.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Stop between Umbria and Firenze
- 2 Day trips ideas from Lausanne, Switzerland
- 3 Preliminary planning -- a month in Greece
- 4 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 5 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 6 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 7 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 8 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 9 Cycling with KIDS - Dordogne, France, (Combiers) APRIL 2017
- 10 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 11 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 12 Towersey, London
- 13 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 14 How many nights to spend in Granada and Malaga & a few other questions
- 15 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 16 Amalfi Coast help
- 17 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 18 Cetona, Barbarino Val d'elsa or Greve?
- 19 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 20 Ireland in April
- 21 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 22 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 23 A few days outside Rome
- 24 days and times when museums and suchlike close
- 25 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden