Never having been to Marseilles or very nearby (the closest I've been is either Arles, or St. Tropez...) I am trying to figure out how to best visit les Calanques.
Assuming I fly into Marseilles and want to see some of them - how easy/hard are they to access? Can you drive right up and a short walk takes you to a nice area for spreading out a beach towel and a picnic basket... or is it a long hike to get to them... or is the best method to visit by boat (and where does one pick up a boat for a day's tour).
Are they completely unspoiled - i.e. just you and your hiking gear/beach towel, or, are there outposts for a drink a la the Buza Bar found in Dubrovnik?
Not having been to Marseilles, would you recommend staying two nights in Marseilles, making this a trip for the "day in between" and otherwise fit in the rest of the two nights sightseeing in Marseilles?
Any thoughts appreciated. This would most likely be the landing point for a trip that ends up in Barcelona (and day trips therefrom), or, the very last visit on a trip that starts in Barcelona and flies home from Marseille.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 2 Recommendations for trip to Cochem
- 3 Spanish food - not that special?
- 4 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 5 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 6 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 7 Booking Irish Rail ticket
- 8 Please help with Carry-on Question--CDG!
- 9 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 10 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 11 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 12 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 13 Can you locate this picture in Greece?
- 14 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 15 Taking Renfe's FAVA Train Across Northern Spain?
- 16 Chania
- 17 Hiking in Austria and Innsbruck and Hallstatt
- 18 Car rental in Santorini port
- 19 Feedback On Relaxed Plan While Staying In Saignon
- 20 Renting a car in Greece
- 21 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 22 Does anyone have experience with Lipault luggage?
- 23 renting a car in greece
- 24 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 25 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train