Never having been to Marseilles or very nearby (the closest I've been is either Arles, or St. Tropez...) I am trying to figure out how to best visit les Calanques.
Assuming I fly into Marseilles and want to see some of them - how easy/hard are they to access? Can you drive right up and a short walk takes you to a nice area for spreading out a beach towel and a picnic basket... or is it a long hike to get to them... or is the best method to visit by boat (and where does one pick up a boat for a day's tour).
Are they completely unspoiled - i.e. just you and your hiking gear/beach towel, or, are there outposts for a drink a la the Buza Bar found in Dubrovnik?
Not having been to Marseilles, would you recommend staying two nights in Marseilles, making this a trip for the "day in between" and otherwise fit in the rest of the two nights sightseeing in Marseilles?
Any thoughts appreciated. This would most likely be the landing point for a trip that ends up in Barcelona (and day trips therefrom), or, the very last visit on a trip that starts in Barcelona and flies home from Marseille.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 14 nights france and Italy with kids - Help fine tuning the itinerary
- 2 Cinqueterre
- 3 Croatia with trips to Mostar & Bay of Kotar
- 4 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 5 London Restaurants
- 6 Train tickets in Italy?
- 7 Alhambra advance tickets - how far in advance?
- 8 Reviews of Paris restaurants: Tour d’Argent, Le Cinq, Ange20,...
- 9 13 nights in Portugal...need tuning !
- 10 Spain: 2 versions of a new itinerary. Please help me figure this out.
- 11 Corsica
- 12 17 days in England
- 13 VENICE
- 14 Norway travel help: Bergen-Gjendesheim-Oslo
- 15 London best location
- 16 Paris drinks/dinner GTG April?
- 17 Transportation Tips/Advice for Spain (itinerary included)
- 18 1 week in andalusia in early June - suggestions please
- 19 An Introduction to French Wines...
- 20 A birthday dinner in Sevilla
- 21 Prague, Salzburg, Vienna, Budapest Help
- 22 Scandinavian itinerary sanity check
- 23 travel around Spain
- 24 Train up the Jungfrau
- 25 credit and debit cards