Never having been to Marseilles or very nearby (the closest I've been is either Arles, or St. Tropez...) I am trying to figure out how to best visit les Calanques.
Assuming I fly into Marseilles and want to see some of them - how easy/hard are they to access? Can you drive right up and a short walk takes you to a nice area for spreading out a beach towel and a picnic basket... or is it a long hike to get to them... or is the best method to visit by boat (and where does one pick up a boat for a day's tour).
Are they completely unspoiled - i.e. just you and your hiking gear/beach towel, or, are there outposts for a drink a la the Buza Bar found in Dubrovnik?
Not having been to Marseilles, would you recommend staying two nights in Marseilles, making this a trip for the "day in between" and otherwise fit in the rest of the two nights sightseeing in Marseilles?
Any thoughts appreciated. This would most likely be the landing point for a trip that ends up in Barcelona (and day trips therefrom), or, the very last visit on a trip that starts in Barcelona and flies home from Marseille.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Schegen Question- Leaving w/Visa and Reentry as Tourist
- 2 Paris food tours?
- 3 10-day Itinerary Shannon to Southwest and West Ireland
- 4 Iceland tour, first time - advice appreciated!
- 5 Trip to Paris and Switzerland.
- 6 Paris Vacation Rentals in 2015
- 7 Advice on best area to stay in Barcelona
- 8 Paris tipping hotel maids
- 9 Women's semi-stylish, comfortable shoes?
- 10 Restaurant recommendation in Lisbon
- 11 2 hrs from landing in FCO to FCO direct to Florence
- 12 Spain and around that for 2 weeks
- 13 Restaurant recommendations in Cascais Portugal
- 14 Greece and Turkey next summer - are we crazy?
- 15 A great read for anyone visiting the UK.
- 16 Comfortable Shoes for Men and for Women
- 17 Return to Paris after 15 Years
- 18 Adam Gopnik loses his phone in Paris
- 19 Walking the Cotswolds
- 20 Do I need a debit/PiIN card in England?
- 21 My summer in Paris
- 22 Comments, please about these Rome apartments
- 23 Basque Region and Rioja in December
- 24 Looking for place to stop on way to Rome from Amalfi
- 25 3 wks touring Sicily, what not to miss?