Never having been to Marseilles or very nearby (the closest I've been is either Arles, or St. Tropez...) I am trying to figure out how to best visit les Calanques.
Assuming I fly into Marseilles and want to see some of them - how easy/hard are they to access? Can you drive right up and a short walk takes you to a nice area for spreading out a beach towel and a picnic basket... or is it a long hike to get to them... or is the best method to visit by boat (and where does one pick up a boat for a day's tour).
Are they completely unspoiled - i.e. just you and your hiking gear/beach towel, or, are there outposts for a drink a la the Buza Bar found in Dubrovnik?
Not having been to Marseilles, would you recommend staying two nights in Marseilles, making this a trip for the "day in between" and otherwise fit in the rest of the two nights sightseeing in Marseilles?
Any thoughts appreciated. This would most likely be the landing point for a trip that ends up in Barcelona (and day trips therefrom), or, the very last visit on a trip that starts in Barcelona and flies home from Marseille.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Basque country ideas
- 2 Schengen Visa Question - Student Visa / Visitor Visa
- 3 Glorious -- 18 days in Sicily
- 4 Spain itinerary, suggestions please!
- 5 Trip changes- added Paris and Florence!
- 6 Hikrchick & Hikrguy back from (cool & rainy but) fabulous Paris
- 7 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 8 Need itinerary suggestions for 7 days in Spain before Christmas Eve
- 9 Super Excited! 3 weeks need your help!
- 10 plane or train for quick trip Rome to Venice
- 11 4 days in switzerland
- 12 11 days in Portugal in April - thoughts on itinerary please!
- 13 the ultimate trip report Barcelona
- 14 UK - Celebrating Thanksgiving?
- 15 Amalfi Coast to Barcelona
- 16 First trip to Italy
- 17 How busy are the Rhine & Mosel River Valleys in early May?
- 18 Travel vs. Babies
- 19 Help plan trip to Coppenhagen and Stockholm
- 20 Manchester (MAN) vs. Heathrow
- 21 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 22 Eastern Provence, French Alps, Nice
- 23 European Cooking Secrets
- 24 Almalfi coast late March? Or Piedmont?
- 25 Andalusia, Tangiers, Barcelona?