Never having been to Marseilles or very nearby (the closest I've been is either Arles, or St. Tropez...) I am trying to figure out how to best visit les Calanques.
Assuming I fly into Marseilles and want to see some of them - how easy/hard are they to access? Can you drive right up and a short walk takes you to a nice area for spreading out a beach towel and a picnic basket... or is it a long hike to get to them... or is the best method to visit by boat (and where does one pick up a boat for a day's tour).
Are they completely unspoiled - i.e. just you and your hiking gear/beach towel, or, are there outposts for a drink a la the Buza Bar found in Dubrovnik?
Not having been to Marseilles, would you recommend staying two nights in Marseilles, making this a trip for the "day in between" and otherwise fit in the rest of the two nights sightseeing in Marseilles?
Any thoughts appreciated. This would most likely be the landing point for a trip that ends up in Barcelona (and day trips therefrom), or, the very last visit on a trip that starts in Barcelona and flies home from Marseille.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What's a must to buy in Paris?
- 2 Italy itinerary - input needed, please!!
- 3 Help with 12 day UK Itinerary!
- 4 For Paris-knowledgable - best neighborhood to stay a week-plus
- 5 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 6 UK in May and June
- 7 Mr & Mrs Annhig need your help planning bucket list trip to Switzerland
- 8 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 9 Berlin activities -need help with organisation, please
- 10 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 11 23 day honeymoon to Greece
- 12 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 13 Globus Iberian Tour
- 14 Spain: train/rental car help
- 15 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 16 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 17 Budapest Card
- 18 First trip to the UK, please help me
- 19 Help Needed for 8/20: Train from Salzburg to Garmisch
- 20 Copenhagen,Helsinki,St. Petersburg in mid September
- 21 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 22 Best tour or day trip from EL Ferrol Spain
- 23 Bath/Cotswolds
- 24 Shorts in South of France?
- 25 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure