Never having been to Marseilles or very nearby (the closest I've been is either Arles, or St. Tropez...) I am trying to figure out how to best visit les Calanques.
Assuming I fly into Marseilles and want to see some of them - how easy/hard are they to access? Can you drive right up and a short walk takes you to a nice area for spreading out a beach towel and a picnic basket... or is it a long hike to get to them... or is the best method to visit by boat (and where does one pick up a boat for a day's tour).
Are they completely unspoiled - i.e. just you and your hiking gear/beach towel, or, are there outposts for a drink a la the Buza Bar found in Dubrovnik?
Not having been to Marseilles, would you recommend staying two nights in Marseilles, making this a trip for the "day in between" and otherwise fit in the rest of the two nights sightseeing in Marseilles?
Any thoughts appreciated. This would most likely be the landing point for a trip that ends up in Barcelona (and day trips therefrom), or, the very last visit on a trip that starts in Barcelona and flies home from Marseille.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Netherlands,Belgium,Austria and South Germany
- 2 Day Trips from Dunfermline
- 3 14 days in Italy in late June with 6 adults + 6 little kids
- 4 Question re best time of day to visit Keukenhof
- 5 Organizing our 8 day Roman visit
- 6 Driving Excursions/Day Trips outside of Edinburgh
- 7 Barcelona appartment is it a good location ?
- 8 Barcelona
- 9 Italy - Car vs Train: Milan, Cinque Terre, Lalyake District in March
- 10 Planning a European Trip
- 11 Amalfi or Tuscany?
- 12 Croatia... Is dubrovnik a must?
- 13 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 14 Greece + Italy | Itinerary Suggestions
- 15 Santorini lodging
- 16 Spain and South of France
- 17 Trump alleged to be "keen" for US to join Commonwealth
- 18 Algarve location Help
- 19 Andalucia itinerary help
- 20 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 21 Where to stay & what to do in Gran Canaria?
- 22 Ischia
- 23 Killarney
- 24 Romania - Good destination for 2017
- 25 Safety in Lamezia Terme, Italy