Never having been to Marseilles or very nearby (the closest I've been is either Arles, or St. Tropez...) I am trying to figure out how to best visit les Calanques.
Assuming I fly into Marseilles and want to see some of them - how easy/hard are they to access? Can you drive right up and a short walk takes you to a nice area for spreading out a beach towel and a picnic basket... or is it a long hike to get to them... or is the best method to visit by boat (and where does one pick up a boat for a day's tour).
Are they completely unspoiled - i.e. just you and your hiking gear/beach towel, or, are there outposts for a drink a la the Buza Bar found in Dubrovnik?
Not having been to Marseilles, would you recommend staying two nights in Marseilles, making this a trip for the "day in between" and otherwise fit in the rest of the two nights sightseeing in Marseilles?
Any thoughts appreciated. This would most likely be the landing point for a trip that ends up in Barcelona (and day trips therefrom), or, the very last visit on a trip that starts in Barcelona and flies home from Marseille.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 2 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 3 Cycling with KIDS - Dordogne, France, (Combiers) APRIL 2017
- 4 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 5 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 6 Towersey, London
- 7 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 8 How many nights to spend in Granada and Malaga & a few other questions
- 9 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 10 Amalfi Coast help
- 11 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 12 Cetona, Barbarino Val d'elsa or Greve?
- 13 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 14 Day trips ideas from Lausanne, Switzerland
- 15 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 16 Ireland in April
- 17 Stop between Umbria and Firenze
- 18 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 19 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 20 A few days outside Rome
- 21 days and times when museums and suchlike close
- 22 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 23 CDG airport and connection time
- 24 Paris Metro
- 25 Planning to visit Barcelona and Paris