Never having been to Marseilles or very nearby (the closest I've been is either Arles, or St. Tropez...) I am trying to figure out how to best visit les Calanques.
Assuming I fly into Marseilles and want to see some of them - how easy/hard are they to access? Can you drive right up and a short walk takes you to a nice area for spreading out a beach towel and a picnic basket... or is it a long hike to get to them... or is the best method to visit by boat (and where does one pick up a boat for a day's tour).
Are they completely unspoiled - i.e. just you and your hiking gear/beach towel, or, are there outposts for a drink a la the Buza Bar found in Dubrovnik?
Not having been to Marseilles, would you recommend staying two nights in Marseilles, making this a trip for the "day in between" and otherwise fit in the rest of the two nights sightseeing in Marseilles?
Any thoughts appreciated. This would most likely be the landing point for a trip that ends up in Barcelona (and day trips therefrom), or, the very last visit on a trip that starts in Barcelona and flies home from Marseille.
Visiting les Calanques in the south of France
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris-Loire-Avignon-Barcelona itinerary (help)
- 2 Ideas for Itinerary from Frankfurt
- 3 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 4 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules Salerno/Amalfi/Positano Just Released
- 5 Recommended overnight stops on Iceland ring road
- 6 Paris to Barcelona by car/train - including Loire/Bordeax/Carcassonne
- 7 3 days and 4 nights in Switzerland
- 8 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 9 Is my plan ok
- 10 The Ghost of Christmas Future visited me..."Lead On"! Paris again...at Christmas.
- 11 Reputable Tours
- 12 London Experts - What do you think of this apartment?
- 13 5 Hoosiers - help with route through Germany
- 14 Paris/Prague/Budapest/Zagreb/Nice/Paris
- 15 Different approach to 2-4-1 offers
- 16 Best places to stay in Bristol?
- 17 Amsterdam, Germany, Paris in May 2015- coats needed?
- 18 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 19 Best Option for London Travelcard?
- 20 Neuschwanstein Castle from Zermatt
- 21 Portugal Trip
- 22 England's Ruined Abbeys
- 23 Austria to Italy by car - best route
- 24 London - Paris - Venice - Rome in 21 Days
- 25 CROATIA - Split to Hvar Island ???