Never having been to Marseilles or very nearby (the closest I've been is either Arles, or St. Tropez...) I am trying to figure out how to best visit les Calanques.
Assuming I fly into Marseilles and want to see some of them - how easy/hard are they to access? Can you drive right up and a short walk takes you to a nice area for spreading out a beach towel and a picnic basket... or is it a long hike to get to them... or is the best method to visit by boat (and where does one pick up a boat for a day's tour).
Are they completely unspoiled - i.e. just you and your hiking gear/beach towel, or, are there outposts for a drink a la the Buza Bar found in Dubrovnik?
Not having been to Marseilles, would you recommend staying two nights in Marseilles, making this a trip for the "day in between" and otherwise fit in the rest of the two nights sightseeing in Marseilles?
Any thoughts appreciated. This would most likely be the landing point for a trip that ends up in Barcelona (and day trips therefrom), or, the very last visit on a trip that starts in Barcelona and flies home from Marseille.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Barcelona to San Sebastian
- 2 Christmas in London (& Paris)
- 3 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 4 Best boutique shops for kids within walking distance of Notre Dame?
- 5 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 6 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
- 7 Honeymoon Help! September 2016
- 8 The dog cemetery of Asnières
- 9 Last min prep for Krakow - Questions
- 10 Any special about stockholm (13th or 14th to go Stockholm)?
- 11 Handicap Assistance at Charles de Gaulle - Our Experience
- 12 Glasgow and Edinburgh
- 13 Iceland Day 5
- 14 Holland/France/Spain
- 15 Scotland Trip
- 16 3 seniors to do Scotland
- 17 Montenegro in September
- 18 3 week stay in Scotland
- 19 Paris, France
- 20 Troyes or Colmar around Christmas?
- 21 sfo to europe
- 22 Need Help with Locations of Naples Apartments
- 23 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 24 A Walk in Tuscany, New Places to Discover, & A Life Time of memories
- 25 First Day: Cashel or Kilkenny?