Never having been to Marseilles or very nearby (the closest I've been is either Arles, or St. Tropez...) I am trying to figure out how to best visit les Calanques.
Assuming I fly into Marseilles and want to see some of them - how easy/hard are they to access? Can you drive right up and a short walk takes you to a nice area for spreading out a beach towel and a picnic basket... or is it a long hike to get to them... or is the best method to visit by boat (and where does one pick up a boat for a day's tour).
Are they completely unspoiled - i.e. just you and your hiking gear/beach towel, or, are there outposts for a drink a la the Buza Bar found in Dubrovnik?
Not having been to Marseilles, would you recommend staying two nights in Marseilles, making this a trip for the "day in between" and otherwise fit in the rest of the two nights sightseeing in Marseilles?
Any thoughts appreciated. This would most likely be the landing point for a trip that ends up in Barcelona (and day trips therefrom), or, the very last visit on a trip that starts in Barcelona and flies home from Marseille.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Age limit for car rental?
- 2 Feedback on 3-Week Spain Itinerary
- 3 Where to sleep in Manchester?
- 4 3 days in Provence - Avignon, Arles, Aix, and the smaller Luberon Villages
- 5 Transportation Options from CDG to the Louvre
- 6 ITINERARY-6 WEEKS
- 7 Signature Saint Germaine or La TourviLe
- 8 Cooking Class at Antinori
- 9 What clothes?
- 10 I need suggestion on where to stay in Port Alcudia
- 11 Santorini and Positano.
- 12 Germany "Riddled with Crime"?
- 13 Cell Phone Data in Multiple Countries
- 14 tipping
- 15 Advice about Naples?
- 16 Best location for hotel in Milan for 2 nights
- 17 Nothern versus Southern region of Spain
- 18 April in Paris...with a Side of Bordeaux
- 19 Spain for 10 nights
- 20 30 day France, Italy, Malta, Croatia, Slovenia itinerary. Need help!
- 21 Croatia Itinerary Help
- 22 Wanted: Clever Travel Tips!
- 23 De Lijn bus transport
- 24 Sardinia for 9 days in June: where to stay?
- 25 Giro d'Italia