I'm heading to Edinburgh very soon on a one week business trip. I'm renting a car while there, I've already been to Edinburgh four or five times so I've already seen the city (Castle, Hollyrood, Royal Mile, catacombs, etc...). In the past I also got to see the area where Braveheart was filmed with the comical statue of Mel Gibson.
Now I'm thinking of taking a day trip as I get there on Sunday. Could I have some suggestions of places to occupy a full Sunday that are within a couple hours drive of Edinburgh. I'm thinking St. Andrews, but that won't take the day, so maybe someplace that has St. Andrews on its way.
Also, what's the weather like in mid April? It's warm and sunny in Texas where I'm from and the forecasts seem to predict cold and rainy next week in Edinburgh. Will I get any sun at all? What kind of clothing should I be wearing?
Advice is appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Juangfrau / mt
- 2 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 3 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 4 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 5 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 6 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 7 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 8 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 9 Greece-Paros or Meteora
- 10 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 11 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 12 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 13 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 14 Switzerland
- 15 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 16 Questions about Polish sights
- 17 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 18 If you had to choose one......
- 19 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 20 Ireland travel passport question
- 21 Italy
- 22 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 23 Revised itinerary for italy
- 24 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 25 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
Visiting Edinburgh on one week business trip, weekend day trip suggestions