We are slowly pick-up pace with our planning for our upcoming holiday to Austria in May 2012. This will be our first visit to Austria. We are 2 adults and 2 children of 11 years & 9 years.
Currently this is a rough itinerary, please feel free to make any suggestions :
1. Arrive in Vienna
2. Spend 4 nights in Vienna (need inputs on what attractions can be combined)
3. In Vienna we would like to do the day trip to Melk abbey
4. We would also like to visit the Prater as I assume that the kids will enjoy there. We are not very much into museums maybe visit 1 museum which would you recommend.
5. Move to Salzburg - Hotel Am Moos for 5 nights
Plan to cover Salzburg (any suggestions on what to see and what can be combined)
Would like to do the Ice Caves at Werfen from Salzburg
Also, would like to visit St. Gilgen and Salzkamergut area and do the mountain trip excursion. Which one would you recommend?
6. Move to Zell Am See - Would like to visit the Hochalpenstrasse as a day trip. Spend 3 nights in Zell Am See.
7. Move to Seefeld - Spend 3 nights with a day visit to Innsbruck.
8. We are not sure whether to be based in Seefeld or in Garmish. We will not be hikiing. But would like to see Oberamergau, Ettal and any other sights. We have visited King Ludwig's castle so would not want to do that again. We feel Garmish is bigger and offer more in terms of dining options. We will be using the public transport everywhere
Your recommendations required for :
Districts in Vienna where we can be based which have nice small local eateries. We are very keen on eating good wholesome Austrian food like Goulash and Schwein Haxen. Any good budget recommendations are welcome.
For Salzburg any recommendations where we can have good local foods and good portions please.
Also do the butchers make a sandwich in Austria and what are they called in Austria. Like in Germany please correct me if I am wrong but I recall they were called Metzgerie.
We love meats and milk shakes, ice creams, chocolates and pastries.
What are the specialities of Austria that we can take home? Is marzipan also available in Austria? What are the brands of Austrian chocolates?
Any inputs are welcome.
Vienna & Salzburg Cheap Eats & Useful Insights
- 1 London for Christmas
- 2 More help with housing in Puglia
- 3 suggestions for a base in france -rouen to st malo in 4 days
- 4 Chambermaid tipping
- 5 Itinerary Help: Amsterdam-Zurich/Basel-Geneva in 10 days?
- 6 Euro Train
- 7 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 8 15 days in Europe,
- 9 Confirming..."Buy train tickets the day of departure" advice....M/V/Rome
- 10 Madrid to Sevilla
- 11 London, Paris, and Brussels 2014
- 12 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 13 Taxi Availability from Bus Station
- 14 Please help with this Switzerland/Italy itinerary
- 15 Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Turkey At This Time
- 16 Need help for visits to Belgium?
- 17 Are they doing this yet in Paris and Rome?
- 18 Barcelona - Hotel Help
- 19 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 20 7 days in Andalucia
- 21 Advice on relocating to Italy?
- 22 first european holiday itinery
- 23 Need info on smoking in Dijon area
- 24 Popping in and out of Ireland
- 25 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"