We are slowly pick-up pace with our planning for our upcoming holiday to Austria in May 2012. This will be our first visit to Austria. We are 2 adults and 2 children of 11 years & 9 years.
Currently this is a rough itinerary, please feel free to make any suggestions :
1. Arrive in Vienna
2. Spend 4 nights in Vienna (need inputs on what attractions can be combined)
3. In Vienna we would like to do the day trip to Melk abbey
4. We would also like to visit the Prater as I assume that the kids will enjoy there. We are not very much into museums maybe visit 1 museum which would you recommend.
5. Move to Salzburg - Hotel Am Moos for 5 nights
Plan to cover Salzburg (any suggestions on what to see and what can be combined)
Would like to do the Ice Caves at Werfen from Salzburg
Also, would like to visit St. Gilgen and Salzkamergut area and do the mountain trip excursion. Which one would you recommend?
6. Move to Zell Am See - Would like to visit the Hochalpenstrasse as a day trip. Spend 3 nights in Zell Am See.
7. Move to Seefeld - Spend 3 nights with a day visit to Innsbruck.
8. We are not sure whether to be based in Seefeld or in Garmish. We will not be hikiing. But would like to see Oberamergau, Ettal and any other sights. We have visited King Ludwig's castle so would not want to do that again. We feel Garmish is bigger and offer more in terms of dining options. We will be using the public transport everywhere
Your recommendations required for :
Districts in Vienna where we can be based which have nice small local eateries. We are very keen on eating good wholesome Austrian food like Goulash and Schwein Haxen. Any good budget recommendations are welcome.
For Salzburg any recommendations where we can have good local foods and good portions please.
Also do the butchers make a sandwich in Austria and what are they called in Austria. Like in Germany please correct me if I am wrong but I recall they were called Metzgerie.
We love meats and milk shakes, ice creams, chocolates and pastries.
What are the specialities of Austria that we can take home? Is marzipan also available in Austria? What are the brands of Austrian chocolates?
Any inputs are welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to stay in Italy for a month in Oct/Nov
- 2 One in Paris ... help
- 3 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 4 4 days driving holiday to rural North England.
- 5 Spain and Portugal for two and a half weeks
- 6 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 7 Transferwise: My latest experience in currency exchange
- 8 Are Munich and Vienna too similar for same trip?
- 9 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 10 Dolomites October 14-18
- 11 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 12 http://www.healthcare24by7.org/gavali-advance-review/
- 13 Sweden, Denmark or Both ? 8 days in Aug
- 14 Seville Itinerary
- 15 Christmas in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 16 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure
- 17 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily
- 18 1 week in Cornwall, England
- 19 Bern, Switzerland: Anything Open on Jan 1st?
- 20 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 21 Here I plan again....Amsterdam
- 22 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 23 Athens or So. Spain in winter
- 24 4 weeks in Italy July with children
- 25 Corsica experts: Where should I spend an extra night?