Hi Swiss experts!
I am planning our annual summer mountain “fix". We’ve been to the Berner Oberland (BO) region in 2011 and this time, we want to allocate a few nights to Vevey/Montreux area. We are comprised of DH, DS (age 3) and DD (age 5) and me.
So far, basic itinerary:
July 26 –arrive Geneva - drive to Vevey/Montreux. DH really wants car for first leg of trip.
July 27 - Chateau de Chillon/explore Vevey and/or Montreux.
July 28 – Boat cruise/ stop at Le Bouveret to visit the Swiss Vapeur Parc .
July 29 – Scenic drive to Interlaken with stops at Gruyeres (no interest in chocolate factory/Broc), Gstaad, other? with plan to arrive Interlaken late afternoon and drop off car.
July 30 – Aug 2 - BO region
1 day for Jungfrau (only if weather cooperates) – not super important to us.
1 day for Murren/Allmendhubel/Gimmelwald loop.
1 day (Aug 1) – celebrate Swiss National day with lake cruise to Thun and picnic.
1 day for a Wengen/Mannlichen/Grindelwald loop
Aug 3 – train to Geneva or Zurich and fly back to UK.
1) Vevey vs Montreux base. Leaning towards Vevey as seems a bit more quiet with the kids and like the idea of the market on Saturday. I’m looking at hotels including the Grand Hotel Du Lac or Hotel des Trois Couronnes in Vevey. In Montreux there seem to be lots of big grand hotels but hard to really distinguish between them as I’m not sure what is best location given our itin. Any views/recommendations? Our top priorities are location, views, and availability to book two connected rooms or a better yet a suite or room that could fit family of four. Based on research thus far, I’m prepared for steep prices!
2) Scenic drive to Interlaken – any towns/recommendations to stop along the way other than Gruyeres/Gstaad?
3) Murren/Allmendhubel/Gimmelwald loop - how is the walk from Murren to Gimmelwald for a 3 and 5 year old? Then do we go back to Lauterbrunnen via Murren or can you go straight to Lauterbrunnen from Gimmelwald (seems this involves a bus)?
4) Wengen/Mannlichen/Grindelwald loop using the cable car from Wengen to Mannlichen and then gondola from Mannlichen to Grindelwald. Is this recommended? Would plan stops along the way for snacks/play/lunch etc and then finally train from Grindelwald back to Interlaken. We’ve been to Wengen in the past but not on the Mannlichen cable car or to Grindelwald so thought this might be an interesting round trip.
Thanks in advance!
Vevey/Montreux/Interlaken with 2 kids - Itinerary and lodging help please!
Hi Swiss experts!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mother daughter London/Ireland trip
- 2 Day Trips from Paris
- 3 Ireland's west coast
- 4 Bernese Oberland or Engadin
- 5 Sixt Car Rental? Good/Bad? Any reviews/experiences?
- 6 Grindelwald vs Lauterbrunnen vs Wengen on November
- 7 Paradors in Avila, Segovia, Salamanca and Cuenca Spain
- 8 South of Switzerland
- 9 DEAUVILLE or HONFLEUR for overnight stay?
- 10 9 days; 1or 2 home bases for relaxing, sightseeing and nightlife in Italy
- 11 Western Mediterranean Honeymoon Cruise Leaving from Barcelona
- 12 Winter in europe - am I being too ambitious?
- 13 Cell Coverage in Dordogne & Lot
- 14 Potential return trip to Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 15 Trattorias/Bars/Restaurants Open Sunday & Monday in Monti (or other)Rome
- 16 Home Base in Belgium
- 17 France and Italy 15 nights. Suggestions welcomed.
- 18 22 days in Amsterdam, Germany, Austria and Switzerland
- 19 Rocamaxour
- 20 Plane or Train Lisbon to Porto?
- 21 St. John's Navalis feast/festival in Prague
- 22 Looking for nice regions with good public transport
- 23 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 24 Itinerary for Spain
- 25 Dordogne prehistoric sites