We're thinking of taking a driving trip encompassing Toulouse, Sarlat, train to Paris, for between 16 - 18 days this fall. We haven't finalized anything yet, just beginning the process.
One concern that's at the back of my mind is the roads, not the conditions per se, but I'm having difficulty finding information about the steepness of the grades, getting, for example to Carcassone. Les Baux, St. Paul de Vence, no problem. We would never consider driving in Switzerland or the Amalfi coast, but managed quite well in Ireland. I went along the Napoleon Trail (can't recall exactly where) as a passenger, and knew immediately we'd never be able to manage it ourselves. We went to Dingle, but did not get there via the Connor Pass. Going up and down isn't a problem, but straight up, mountain on one side of the car and sheer drop on the other makes my heart skip a beat just thinking about it. Lots of advice and warnings and information about driving in Sorrento and Amalfi and Dingle and the NW of Ireland, but I'm coming up empty about the Dordogne and Languedoc regions.
We've driven in the Canadian Rockies to Banff, Lake Louise, just fine, but it's a gently grade getting there.
I want the driver to enjoy this trip, not break out in hives just thinking about it!
I'd appreciate any advice, any areas you would recommend as a no-go for us.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip report: Portugal, Barcelona and Switzerland
- 2 Lille Braderie 2017
- 3 Europe First Timers
- 4 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 5 Rome or Venice first
- 6 Selecting the right Travel Pass (or not at all)
- 7 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 8 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 9 What to do? Free evenings in Prague and Vienna
- 10 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 11 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 12 Shannon Airport - Mobile Data Card
- 13 Rest in Peace, Colonel Chilcott
- 14 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 15 Scotland - drive around or form bases ?
- 16 4 weeks entailing 1 wk Greece and 3 wks in Italy
- 17 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 18 Athens Help
- 19 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?
- 20 Paris GTG October 6 - 14?
- 21 Trip report for Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
- 22 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 23 Are les plats ("Belon") oysters in Paris yet?
- 24 Cruising (not sailing) in Croatia..worried about noise
- 25 Thinking about the Fjords