We're thinking of taking a driving trip encompassing Toulouse, Sarlat, train to Paris, for between 16 - 18 days this fall. We haven't finalized anything yet, just beginning the process.
One concern that's at the back of my mind is the roads, not the conditions per se, but I'm having difficulty finding information about the steepness of the grades, getting, for example to Carcassone. Les Baux, St. Paul de Vence, no problem. We would never consider driving in Switzerland or the Amalfi coast, but managed quite well in Ireland. I went along the Napoleon Trail (can't recall exactly where) as a passenger, and knew immediately we'd never be able to manage it ourselves. We went to Dingle, but did not get there via the Connor Pass. Going up and down isn't a problem, but straight up, mountain on one side of the car and sheer drop on the other makes my heart skip a beat just thinking about it. Lots of advice and warnings and information about driving in Sorrento and Amalfi and Dingle and the NW of Ireland, but I'm coming up empty about the Dordogne and Languedoc regions.
We've driven in the Canadian Rockies to Banff, Lake Louise, just fine, but it's a gently grade getting there.
I want the driver to enjoy this trip, not break out in hives just thinking about it!
I'd appreciate any advice, any areas you would recommend as a no-go for us.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bergen Hotel -- near Port ?
- 2 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 3 Azores
- 4 Barcelona to Paris - Road trip in between?
- 5 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 6 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 7 Scotland in 7 Days
- 8 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 9 roaming Prague...but for how long?
- 10 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 11 Short Trip in July
- 12 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 13 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 14 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 15 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 16 Norway in a Nutshell - Travel Report
- 17 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 18 Cooking tours 3-4 days June 4 in Northern Italy
- 19 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 20 Springtime in Holland - Trip report
- 21 Advice on car and getting around Aeolian Islands
- 22 10-12 days - Czech Republic/Austria/Munich?
- 23 4 Nights - Bern/Grindelwald / Interlaken / Lucerne
- 24 Paris & Cote d'Azur Trip report
- 25 Sim Card Options