VENICE - VERONA - PADOVA - VIENNA
MAY 5 - MAY 17 2013
DAY 00 - May 05
Linda and I had been to Venice in March 2004, but only for a couple of days, and there was a cold rain most of the time, so we were anxious to see Venice with more time…and, hopefully, better weather.
USAir flight 714 (nonstop Philadelphia to Venice) departed a little late. Dinner was good (for airplane food), but, as usual, I got very little sleep. The plane was nearly full with no place to lie down. Can’t complain – our tickets were acquired using bonus miles from a new credit card with the annual fee waived.
DAY 01 - May 06
Arrival in Venice pretty much on time. My ATM card would not work in the airport machine, but I felt OK because I brought about €60 saved from last year’s trip to Spain. In any event, the Alilaguna Vap ticket office accepted credit cards. Got off the boat at Fondamenta Nove. The walk to our hotel – 10 minute on Google maps – took a little longer going up and down the three bridges with our wheeled carry-ons.
Checked into Locanda La Corte early and dropped our bags. I highly recommend this hotel. Everyone there was friendly and helpful, the room and breakfast were excellent, and the location was far enough from the crowds to be in a charming (south of Ss Giovanni e Paolo), uncrowded area (right on a small canal) but only about a ten-minute walk to San Marco.
We then took a walk we found in our book 24 Great Walks in Venice – this one covering where Marco Polo grew up, between our hotel and Santi Apostoli. Gave us an easy way to take in the city without taxing our sleep-deprived bodies too much.
Back at the hotel, they told us where the nearest bank was – about 2 minutes away – and we set out to get some cash. Scary moment – the ATM outside the bank wouldn’t work either. I went inside, and the man told me I’d have better luck with the inside machine – which worked perfectly.
Quick lunch at a pizza place between our hotel and San Marco. At this point it started to rain a little, but by the time we left the restaurant, it was stopping. Then back to the hotel to occupy our room and take a short nap. Then off to the Correr Museum. I think the part I liked best was the collection of maps and globes.
I had bought Museum Passes (€18 each) online before we left. This got us into the Correr, the Doge’s Palace, and the Glass and Lace museums on Murano and Burano respectively. If you’re going to the two islands, it’s a good deal; otherwise, you need to do the math carefully before buying it, depending on what you want to see – Ca’ Rezzonico (covered by the pass) was closed for renovations.
Arriving back at our room, we were exhausted. Fortunately there was a little restaurant – Osteria da Simson – right outside our door with outside tables on the canal. The food was not spectacular, but it was quite good, inexpensive, and close. I had the tagliatelle ragu and Linda had cannelloni. We shared a mixed salad. I should warn everyone that we are definitely NOT foodies. We like basic food made from fresh ingredients at a reasonable price. I, in particular, am somewhat of a coward when it comes to trying new food.
After dinner we took a very short walk around the neighborhood before turning in for the night.
Venice - Verona - Padova - Vienna Trip Report
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Naples - Hotel to stay for 2 nites
- 2 NATIONAL PARKS IN CROATIA (PLITVICE & KRKA)
- 3 getting on highway from Avignon TVG Europcar rental place
- 4 recommendations for budget hotels - West End, Covent Garden, Bloomsbury
- 5 French embassy schengen visa related questions
- 6 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 7 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 8 Munich with a car?
- 9 Printing Paris Bus Routes --Kerouac, others?
- 10 Any exciting towns South of Rome, Italy
- 11 Wanting to spend 6 months in the French Countryside
- 12 Toulouse and beyond -
- 13 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 14 People acting out Paris Metro Names
- 15 Soccer/futbol in Madrid
- 16 Reims for a day
- 17 Apartment and Area to Stay in Istanbul
- 18 day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 19 Abruzzo for 5 days
- 20 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 21 Barcelona to SW France to Madrid in 10 days
- 22 Florence to Naples by car road trip ideas
- 23 poland to switzerland
- 24 Madrid or Toledo on May 1st - holiday
- 25 Online hotel reservation sites reliable?