we are visiting Italy for 4 weeks in July (2A2C aged 10 and 7) and we were originally going to spend a week in this area, but I am wondering if there is a quieter, more off the beaten track alternative? (looking at Umbria or le Marche or even Santa Maria Ligure)
We love to travel and are looking to explore Italian towns, eat, and just enjoy the Summer in Italy but preferably not while elbowing our way through the crowds and queuing to enter a popular picturesque town.
Am I overreacting to the possible crowd/peak season/heat situation? we come from a tropical climate in Australia so we are happy to escape our Winter and like the water weather.
Our itinerary may also include:
Rome 7 nights
Val d'Orcia or ??? 7 nights
* Lucca 5 nights
* Verona 5 nights
* Varenna/Orta 5 nights (maybe a combination of this area)
Milan 1 night
* we normally stay a week in each place so my personal feeling is that this will be a bit rushed...
We are also considering Venice and would stay in the Dorsoduro area, but I also have qualms about visiting this area in the Summer...
I would love any opinions on our itinerary please. DH and I have been to Italy before but it was pre children and 15 years ago. I speak Italian, albeit rusty, and we like to slow travel, stay in apartments and just soak in the area we are in, we have highlights we want to see and experience in all of these areas so other than Rome we are pretty flexible.
Our children do not need amusement parks, or child-centred activities that some seem to require, we are all just very excited to be in Italy and trust that whatever we do and wherever we go we will have a blast.
Thanks so much, I have been reading all the TR's and threads which is why I am changing my mind from our original ideas to explore the less touristy version of this gorgeous country.
We also do not want to venture South of Rome this trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Shorts in South of France?
- 2 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 3 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 4 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 5 Les bons plans de Whathello - St Tropez - Resto
- 6 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 7 limousine services - milan - rome
- 8 Regarding Residence Permit
- 9 Which are the most beautiful tourist attractions, Tenerife Spain ?
- 10 Flight from Athens to Santorini- is this enough time?
- 11 Homesaty
- 12 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 13 The herbs in pure slim 365
- 14 Great Fare Sale Emirate Air
- 15 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 16 Towns or hikes along Lake Lucerne
- 17 Route des Vins
- 18 Seville: Churches and Convent
- 19 2 days in Florence
- 20 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 21 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 22 train from Bucharest to Brasov
- 23 Paris Metro Entrances. How to find?
- 24 base for Andalucia
- 25 Private tour guides in Bayeux