I am a U.S. citizen who is retired and planning on buying a holiday house/flat somewhere in England. I would be going to England on a tourist visa.
My original plan was to buy a house in Liverpool. After all of the comments about having a holiday house in Liverpool, however, I decided that I want to buy a house or flat in London, since it probably has less crime. I do not want to rent a house/flat. I would like to buy one, since I can afford to buy. Since I can't get a mortgage in the UK because I'm not a resident, would paying for a house/flat in London (or anywhere else in England) using cash be a quicker process. How long would it take to to purchase a house/flat in cash in the UK.
I would only be able to come to the UK for at most 3 weeks, so if the buying process of the London property takes 4 weeks, would I have to be in the UK during to whole buying process, or could I be in the United States during the the beginning and/or end of the process. In other words, could the buying process be done on the phone/ and or internet?
Again, the London property would be used for holidays for 2-3 weeks per year.
I am really curious!!!!
USA citizen owning a house/flat in London, England
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy + Greece in 14 days
- 2 Airport ATMs
- 3 Dublin, love it or hate it? please tell me why
- 4 Rome, Florence, Pisa, Cinque Terre, Venice, Florence
- 5 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 6 N Ireland / Ireland driving
- 7 Story of the German Christmas star
- 8 Amsterdam New Years Even Recommendations
- 9 Bus Tour with a toddler
- 10 I lost the thread to respond about th Arles Amphetheatre
- 11 DIRECT trains from Rome FCO Airport to Venice start 12/14/2014
- 12 Andalucia - very early trip thinking - reactions?
- 13 All Set To Go!!
- 14 American Express
- 15 29 day Itinerary for southern and eastern France
- 16 Suggestions on things to do after Sunday Roast
- 17 Help with European vacation plan
- 18 Upgrading second class Swiss pass to first class for individual train rides
- 19 Our October trip to Andalucia!
- 20 Has anyone tried Athens Welcome Pickups?
- 21 Favorite London spot for roast beef and Yorkshire pudding?
- 22 Taxi or Tube from LHR to Gloucester Road Tube?
- 23 Charles de Gaulle to Gare du Nord with limitations?
- 24 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 25 Three ferries to Mull