I'm going on a trip in the summer with my dad for around ten days and we have not decided yet whether we want to go to the United Kingdom or Ireland. I was hoping someone could give advice on which would be best for what we are looking for. If we went to the UK we would spend the majority of our time around London, probably spending a day in both Brighton and Dover, make a trip to see Oxford University and then spend two or three days in Wales. If we went to Ireland we would spend a couple days in Dublin and then rent a car for the rest of the trip and have a road trip of sorts around a large portion of the island. We are hoping to see a lot of architecture, beautiful landscape, classic tourist attractions, and small, quaint towns. We also would like to shop, walk around, and go hiking. The most important thing to me is to be submersed into a new culture, meet new people, make new experiences and I want to try to fit into the culture and not be too "touristy". For more reference, I am 17 and my dad is 50, though he is very active and can handle hiking and a lot of physical activity. My dad lived in the UK for around ten years and has been to Ireland only once before. Thank you to anyone willing to help or give advice on this decision.
United Kingdom vs. Ireland
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain and Portugal return
- 2 TR: Self indulgence in London and Venice
- 3 60 Minutes: Scathing Review of Italy's Care of Cultural Heritage...
- 4 Walking and Hiking around Nice
- 5 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 6 Did I miss MaiTai's Paris trip report??
- 7 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 8 How Long Does it take to get to FCO
- 9 Ireland or Scotland
- 10 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 11 Family heritage/name origin services in Poland?
- 12 Question on France travel
- 13 Cruise the River Shannon
- 14 NEED ADVICE: 2 Months in Italy, 1 Month through Spain, Greece, and France
- 15 Portugal or Bulgaria
- 16 Places for a Special Dinner (2 cancer survivors!) in Montecatini
- 17 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 18 Something unique about your best city anywhere in Europe
- 19 Autumn in Paris
- 20 Crete, Santorini, Naxos, Mykonos, Athens
- 21 Need Advice: 12 Days in Europe
- 22 Italy and Croatia
- 23 St Germain
- 24 Where to go in France mid July?
- 25 trip to norway