DH has had a short notice business trip to Zurich, unexpectedly tacked on to the end of a 25th anniversary trip that we're taking to the Czech Republic and Germany, leaving this Sunday. For the short notice, his company is covering all costs(for me), has scheduled our hotel in Zurich(Zurich Marriott Hotel)for 5 nights and even purchased a 4 day Swiss Pass for us(hurray). Will not complain about being tied to Zurich for our lodging, since we aren't paying a bit of it-we feel very fortunate. DH only has meetings on the 1st day and last day of this time period, so we have 3 full days on our own. With his schedule, we should have a few hours each of the two days in Zurich to see some of the city, which we have only passed through on other trips. We stayed in Luzern on another trip, using it as a base and visiting Mt. Pilatus, Mt. Rigi, Bern and Bellinzona/Locarno by train as day trips. Hoping someone can suggest some other trips that we can do by train easily in a day. Off the top of my head, I've thought about St. Gallen, Brienz, Basel and Rapperswil, all of which we considered on our previous trip. Would Neuchatel or Gruyeres be too far if we got an early start?
We are a late 50's couple, moderately fit(one with a tricky knee)so prefer to wander around pretty little villages (and cities as well), love and appreciate beautiful architecture, old churches/castles, history, good food & wine and just soaking in the beauty that is Switzerland.
We would be so thankful to hear any of your own experiences with day trips as time is short to properly research. I do have a guidebook that I will take from our last trip. Also would love to have any suggestions for making the most of our little time in Zurich.
Thank you in advance for your time to answer!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 2 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 3 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 4 Ireland travel passport question
- 5 Italy
- 6 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 7 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 8 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 9 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 10 Revised itinerary for italy
- 11 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 12 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 13 Biarritz family holiday
- 14 Lisbon hotel
- 15 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 16 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 17 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 18 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 19 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 20 4 Days in Tuscany
- 21 If you had to choose one......
- 22 Switzerland
- 23 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 24 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 25 Another northern Italy itinerary.