My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris Here We Come
- 2 2 adults & 2 kids in a hotel room in Iceland?
- 3 iPhone stolen in Paris
- 4 sncf help
- 5 Possible flight cancellation?
- 6 Royal Air Maroc or Air France from Rabat?
- 7 TRAIN from Munich to Paris (ASAP)
- 8 Driving from South Iceland to the Westfjords
- 9 First Weekend in Switzerland
- 10 Archetypical White Christmas
- 11 1st Class v 2nd Class
- 12 Amalfi Coast in June
- 13 Itinerary for 3 days in Italy and is Rome safe ???
- 14 Murano glass question
- 15 Help! Trains to Brugge from Brussels
- 16 Chip and pin credit card 2015 question
- 17 Postcards from Retirement-The Scotland Edition
- 18 zugspitze in October
- 19 How to Spot an American in Europe
- 20 Ideas for last-minute 8N/8D couple's trip to Europe from London please
- 21 Spain in Nov.
- 22 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report
- 23 Thinking of ROME? Really???
- 24 15 Days in Italy - Cost breakdown & notes
- 25 Best new years?