My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Umbria - Draft Itinerary - Thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Istanbul Itinerary
- 2 Honeymoon in Greece or Italy or Spain?
- 3 avoiding stuffy and inflexible service at nice european resorts
- 4 Irish Inns and B&B Reservations
- 5 Can you recommend a little seaside town near Athen?
- 6 3 weeks in December in Europe, need help with itinerary
- 7 DH wants Paris but I need ACoast....itinerary help!
- 8 Normandy, Brittany and Loire Valley in May - please help with itinerary
- 9 Tedgale Trip Report: Portugal in April 2014 (with Easter in Amsterdam)
- 10 7 Nights in Paris
- 11 London neighborhood suggestions
- 12 Where Would You Add Two Days - Tuscany & CT Itinerary
- 13 Ferry or Catamaran from Split-Hvar
- 14 Why don't the French want to work?
- 15 Driving from Italy to France
- 16 Wisdom needed for a itinerary in northern Italy, Bavaria and Prague
- 17 5 Hour Layover in Amsterdam
- 18 Edinburgh - Mercat Tours -
- 19 Itinerary Feedback (Spain/Italy in April/May)
- 20 Can you see the Matterhorn at all from Bellinzona Switzerland?
- 21 Daily Bus Tours in Croatia, Slovenia and nearby countries
- 22 Train from Brussels to Amsterdam
- 23 Late night/early morning transport from Barcelona Airport to city center
- 24 Family trip - 11 days/10 nights in Italy
- 25 Little-kid friendly place an hour or so by train from Frankfurt airport