My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 15 days in Europe starting and ending in Amsterdam
- 2 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 3 Assisi, Chianti & Inqie Terre-2 wks.
- 4 the time have bought to always be accompanied
- 5 Spain itinerary, suggestions please!
- 6 Luxury Apartment Rental in Rome
- 7 Lots of walking, amazing scenery & wine - 3 weeks France & Germany.
- 8 Trip changes- added Paris and Florence!
- 9 Trip summary: London, England, July 2016
- 10 Manchester (MAN) vs. Heathrow
- 11 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 12 11 days in Portugal in April - thoughts on itinerary please!
- 13 Safe to bring jewelry onboard
- 14 Verona and Lake Garda
- 15 20 Days in Europe
- 16 Andalusia, Tangiers, Barcelona?
- 17 Super Excited! 3 weeks need your help!
- 18 Andalucia in December
- 19 Glorious -- 18 days in Sicily
- 20 the ultimate trip report Barcelona
- 21 Almalfi coast late March? Or Piedmont?
- 22 8 days Skiing, City and Christmas Markets in Central Europe in late Nov
- 23 Van Gogh Museum advice
- 24 Bamboozled. First trip to Europe. Motorhome v car and other questions...
- 25 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries