My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Umbria - Draft Itinerary - Thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amsterdam Itiniary
- 2 Last day in Italy with kids, Bologna or Venice?
- 3 Hotel in Venice
- 4 Sweden - Gothenburg and Malmö photo gallery and tourist attractions
- 5 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 6 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 7 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 8 Quickest Way from Vienna to Prague
- 9 What Champagne House in Reims or Epernay for a day visit?
- 10 Day trips from Marseille
- 11 train to Vernon France
- 12 Avignon to London?
- 13 Where can I find a driver for a day around Paris?
- 14 A drive in Europe
- 15 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 16 Venice
- 17 A Win At the Arc and Discovering Lisbon
- 18 Sicily - Palermo, Cefalu, Taormina, Syracuse, Agrigento
- 19 Will I be able to add minutes to the phone I bought in Spain 3 years ago?
- 20 Traveling to Munich
- 21 London tube
- 22 Sim Card for Data Plan
- 23 cooking classes
- 24 Nairn to Edinburgh to home - route and where to stay
- 25 Paris Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe