My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Umbria - Draft Itinerary - Thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Vienna →Melk → Durnstein → Krems: details, details…
- 2 Cycling in Southern France--Flat terraine
- 3 Our first trip to Europe
- 4 Seville Holy Week - Behind the Scenes!
- 5 11 day Swiss and Italy
- 6 Needed: a nice beach break in Spain!
- 7 3 Star Hotel or B&B recommendations for Venice, Florence, and Rome Needed
- 8 Madrid night life – nice bars to relax and enjoy music?
- 9 Gift for my European Friends- How about Hershey?
- 10 Best town for 3 nights on the Costa Brava?
- 11 First Trip to Italy - Could use some help!
- 12 Train tickets within Italy
- 13 Bavaria area to Hallstatter to Croatia, Berchtesgaden and Munich
- 14 Bavaria area to Hallstatter to Croatia, Berchtesgaden and Munich
- 15 What is the perfect day in Bruges?
- 16 France Tourisme - Is it a reliable tour company?
- 17 18 days driving trip Rome>Spain>Rome
- 18 Trains from Brussels to other Belgian cities/towns
- 19 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 20 Hotel in Istanbul
- 21 Hoping to stay cool this summer - any comments on my northern itinerary?
- 22 A taste of Scotland and Ireland
- 23 Mont St. Michele?
- 24 Siciliy - travel from Taormina to Siracusa via public transportation
- 25 Norway and Denmark Itinerary Critique Please