My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Umbria - Draft Itinerary - Thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 2 Trip report: Kayaking, Riding and fall in Split, Croatia
- 3 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 4 60 Minutes: Scathing Review of Italy's Care of Cultural Heritage...
- 5 Question on France travel
- 6 Tentative Itinerary for London & south east UK
- 7 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 8 Lavido, Ireland? Where is it??
- 9 Public holiday Prague 17 Nov
- 10 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 11 Sweden For Christmas Ideas
- 12 Loire Valley - Private Driver/Guide
- 13 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 14 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 15 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 16 need help with a european/UK winter travel itinerary (3 weeks)
- 17 Walking and Hiking around Nice
- 18 Top 10 Don't Miss -- ROI and NI
- 19 1,000,001 Steps: Ups and Downs in Greece for 3 Weeks
- 20 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 21 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 22 travel from Malaga to Rhonda Spain
- 23 Five nights in Extremadura
- 24 Why go further, Manchester Christmas Markets back soon.
- 25 Suggestions needed for our first visit to Athens without speaking Greek