My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Swiss Travel Pass
- 2 5 Days in Switzerland
- 3 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 4 Another tipping question: concierges
- 5 Ferry - Dubrovnik to Bari - Cabins
- 6 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 7 6-7 Days in France
- 8 Korean Messages
- 9 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 10 Input desired concerning my Sicily itinerary
- 11 Dresden: How Many Nights?
- 12 Help!! 2 week Europe trip with 6 year old daughter in December!!
- 13 Mon Dieu! The Cops Are After Me
- 14 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 15 Budapest in December 2017
- 16 Spain in July
- 17 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 18 We're here!
- 19 Car hire with driver in Istanbul
- 20 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 21 Ronda: cheap parking, where to find?
- 22 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 23 Acropolis Athens
- 24 Places to visit during a semester in Spain
- 25 Trip Ideas