My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Umbria - Draft Itinerary - Thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Question for those who have traveled to Portugal
- 2 Think twice before booking a trip with Grand Circle.
- 3 Chasing the Tour de France 2014
- 4 Terrorism in Europe
- 5 A bit MORE of the Camino de Santiago
- 6 Day trips from Bologna
- 7 Paris in black and white
- 8 Swiss Air seat assignments
- 9 Best time of day to get tickets to the Anne Frank Haus?
- 10 Hotels in Madrid Spain
- 11 Avis De Contravention (speeding ticket) dispute/appeal?
- 12 Getting from airport to hotel in Prague
- 13 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 14 How did YOU get to Puglia?
- 15 Vacation in Spain ,Madrid-Sevilla-Cadiz-!Cordova-Lisboa
- 16 Grad Schools in London?
- 17 Vicenza day trip - can we walk everywhere?
- 18 Any last things i might need to know for our trip??
- 19 What will happen if I do not pay the penalty of ATAF bus in Florence
- 20 Reina Sofia guided tour?
- 21 What is the best way to tour the Bosphorus
- 22 Poland (Krakow)/ Prague from Leipzig
- 23 Brussels / 2 nights / looking for insider tips
- 24 Which area in Florence - Santa Croce or near Duomo?
- 25 Mama Mia Italy!