My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Umbria - Draft Itinerary - Thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Croatia via Venice for two weeks - itinerary suggestions
- 2 Central Europe itinerary
- 3 First visit to France in November
- 4 Need meal and site advice for not often discussed Greek Islands & Places
- 5 Greek Islands in October - who's open?
- 6 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 7 Lucerne Switzerland
- 8 Italy..Tuscany Cinque Terre or Amalfi & Calabria Scilily
- 9 2 Week Honeymoon France, Italy, Spain, Greece, Rome
- 10 Barcelona next week, itinerary critique?
- 11 Four weeks driving thru Italy October 2014
- 12 Madrid Apartment Rentals
- 13 Versailles - guided tour or on our own????
- 14 Barcelona Hotels, Looking for recommendations
- 15 Southern Spain - What to SEE, what to BUY - what NOT to miss
- 16 at what point should one get health insurance
- 17 Only 2+ hours for Schonbrunn Palace...timing question
- 18 Provence in April, 2014, Part 2
- 19 Venice Itinerary Help, Please
- 20 Europe in December for 10 days
- 21 Wurzburg/Regensburg Weather in April
- 22 Travel Cards / just made a $70 mistake?
- 23 10-Hr Auto Tour o Lisbon,Portugal
- 24 What to do when your intra-Europe flight gets delayed?
- 25 Tour Belgium, the Netherlands and Switzerland On Line (Video + Stills)