My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Umbria - Draft Itinerary - Thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 NZ Passport validity
- 2 Where to stay in Nice? Family of 4.
- 3 Border controls at Frankfurt for NZers
- 4 Uk visa processing time
- 5 Uk visa
- 6 Hotel Royal St Honore - Paris in August
- 7 Europe in June with 8-year old
- 8 Northwestern Switzerland Fall 2014
- 9 Afternoon Tea in London: Savoy vs. Ritz
- 10 22" or 24" for Europe trains?
- 11 Paris Street Market Selling Soaps from Provence
- 12 Cappadocia Cave hotel suggestion
- 13 Positano to Amalfi in April
- 14 September Trip to Normandy/Brittany/Paris
- 15 4 days in Sorrento, 4 days in Rome--expert advice needed!
- 16 Porto to Salamanca
- 17 Trip to Italy
- 18 Classical Music Concert in Vienna
- 19 Copenhagen hotel
- 20 scotland trave;
- 21 Mediterranean Vacation - Transportation
- 22 How Well-Traveled Are You?
- 23 Rental car and Portugal toll charges
- 24 If you had a do-over @ Hampton Court Palace..
- 25 Please help me plan my trip!