My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Umbria - Draft Itinerary - Thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The new Vuitton Foundation Museum in Paris
- 2 A trip into the neonatal ward of Western civilization
- 3 What kind of Tourist are you?
- 4 Portugal Trip Report 2014
- 5 Best Car Rental company in Italy?
- 6 Budgeting - how long can I last!
- 7 1 month Europe itinerary help for Aug-Sep
- 8 Krakow or Warsaw?
- 9 Portugal or Bulgaria
- 10 3 weeks in France starting in burgundy
- 11 50yo sf. Barcelona at night...?
- 12 Barcelona/Andalucia
- 13 best transfer from Paris CDG to Paris hotel St Germain
- 14 Ireland or Scotland
- 15 I dream of Europe
- 16 Have you ever stayed in Praiano?
- 17 Visiting Mostar, Bosnia and Kotor, Montenegro from Croatia
- 18 Verona/Vicenza/Trieste--Best Place to Pick up Rental Car for Croatia
- 19 Last minute trip in Europe 25th Oct - 2nd Nov, interested in joining?
- 20 A few ( stupid) questions 1st time to Paris
- 21 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 22 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 23 Amsterdam safety concerns - red light district?
- 24 Autumn in Paris
- 25 Weekend in Norfolk