My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2 weeks in Amsterdam, Belgium and France
- 2 My 3 Day Umbrian Plan. What do you think?
- 3 3 hours or so in Milano (quick stopover)
- 4 Les bons plans de Whathello
- 5 France 2016: Paris--Avignon--Provence--Nice
- 6 Lake Lucerne Boat Travel
- 7 evening of song and dance
- 8 Walk across Europe: Warsaw - Gibraltar
- 9 Driving from Rome to Sorrento
- 10 Suicide bombing in Ansbach
- 11 Books and Films about/set in Southern Italy
- 12 Helsinki -> Tallin -> Riga OR Tallin -> Riga -> Vilinius ?
- 13 Naples or Genoa
- 14 Istanbul - Would you go there?
- 15 Help needed for Netherlands itinerary please
- 16 Where to from Verona
- 17 Help planning multigenerational family Italy tour
- 18 Paris, the Bernese Oberland, and Bavaria with 2 kids
- 19 The nieces take Bruce and Marija to Paris, Venice and London
- 20 Avoid Viking River Cruises
- 21 Train passes
- 22 RENFE error message during payment
- 23 One week in Sicily - Taormina, Ortigia, Agrigento & Palermo
- 24 Munich-6 days in September
- 25 My First Trip to Europe...