My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Umbria - Draft Itinerary - Thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Royal Opera House question?
- 2 Globus Tours
- 3 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 4 2 full days in Paris
- 5 Ireland Itinerary Feedback Please
- 6 3 days in Rome
- 7 guided tours at Prado and Granada
- 8 Central London Hotels
- 9 ParisBestLodge Marais Apartment
- 10 Finalizing our Austria and Switzerland trip - last minute advice?
- 11 How to Use a Transilien Train from Paris in Ile de France?
- 12 There's no Place Like London: Part 1
- 13 Which area in Florence - Santa Croce or near Duomo?
- 14 ITALY
- 15 Help with Madrid Location
- 16 Italy and Greece
- 17 Jamikins and Bikerscott Head Back to Le Marche
- 18 8 days in Switzerland in October first week
- 19 impact of the euro on travel costs
- 20 La Barceloneta Protests.
- 21 Oslo or Stockholm?
- 22 Trip Report: Arles, Dordogne and Paris, June-July 2014
- 23 Aix-en-Provence to Paris
- 24 2 Days in Rome
- 25 VENICE, Italy - Hotel Venezia Boscolo to ship cruise terminals