My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Umbria - Draft Itinerary - Thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 2 Schengen Visa Rules
- 3 Paris-Loire-Avignon-Barcelona itinerary (help)
- 4 Since Paris is ALWAYS good idea
- 5 Recommended overnight stops on Iceland ring road
- 6 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules Salerno/Amalfi/Positano Just Released
- 7 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 8 Itinerary help, England/Wales
- 9 Southern Spain
- 10 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 11 Switzerland's Iconic Postal Buses...A Whole Different Switzerland!
- 12 Museums in Berlin
- 13 3 days and 4 nights in Switzerland
- 14 Euro Trivia Quiz #12 - Know Your Rivers?
- 15 Best Option for London Travelcard?
- 16 Neuschwanstein Castle from Zermatt
- 17 5 Hoosiers - help with route through Germany
- 18 5 Observations About Paris
- 19 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 20 Scotland November 2015
- 21 Ideas for Itinerary from Frankfurt
- 22 Amsterdam in the early 1980s
- 23 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 24 Paris to Barcelona by car/train - including Loire/Bordeax/Carcassonne
- 25 Is my plan ok