My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Giving credit card details to Hotels for reservation
- 2 Anyone ever been to Minsk, Belarus?
- 3 Favorite European cemeteries?
- 4 Bus Tours in London
- 5 Day Trip to Sorrento - Help!
- 6 Passport question - carry with or leave at hotel?
- 7 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report
- 8 Trip Report: 17 days in Spain & Portugal
- 9 January Amalfi Coast
- 10 Sunday Markets in Paris
- 11 Kandersteg - Muddy Boots?
- 12 Our Next Europe Trip
- 13 Balleseede Castle in Trallee or Killarney
- 14 12 days in Italy
- 15 Saltzburg,Nuremberg and munich
- 16 Photos from our wonderful trip to Spain
- 17 Tech challenged: US car charger for IPHONE work in France and Italy
- 18 Cotswold for 3days
- 19 Paris, Salou & Barcelona
- 20 iPHone 6 use in Paris, with ATT?
- 21 Vienna to Salzburg Please Help
- 22 How to rent a car...
- 23 Looking for music in Istanbul
- 24 Tour du Mount Blanc
- 25 Itinerary tips for first timers