My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Advice please! 4 weeks in Europe Dec/Jan
- 2 Paris Architecture - tours or guides you can recommend?
- 3 Help!!!!! I'm traveling alone, to Ireland this summer, is it safe?
- 4 Norway and Copenhagen - 13 days
- 5 http://supplementsgarden.com/nucific-bio-x4/
- 6 Como or Bellagio
- 7 where to stay in Malta
- 8 Getting From Milan to Arezzo
- 9 Netflix and Hulu
- 10 Transportation from Heathrow Airport to Central London
- 11 Germany in 7 days
- 12 Verdun ceremonies -- 100th anniversary of the battle
- 13 Passport 6-month validity requirement is for ENTRY date, not exit, right?
- 14 Car rental return Nice
- 15 Winter Western Europe Tour
- 16 Train tickets from Switzerland to Venice and back with Swiss Travel Pass
- 17 Relaxing on the Rhone - a river cruise virgin's trip report.
- 18 Too much for one day in Munich?
- 19 Croatia: Zagreb to Dubrovnik HELP
- 20 Sardegna in Sept/Oct - please help!
- 21 Paris to Morocco
- 22 Best routeLago maggiore to Dolcedo--where to stop
- 23 Cost of Taxi from Ravello to Positano?
- 24 Barcelona and Paris with Wine In-between
- 25 Rental car return in Nice