My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Doobie in Amsterdam
- 2 How to get from the Airport (Charles de Gaul) to Marais
- 3 Rent in Paris - Long stay
- 4 London and Paris 13 day HS graduation trip
- 5 Paris: Best Hot Chocolate
- 6 where to stay in Malta
- 7 5 women, Italy, need suggestions
- 8 Looking for advice about 2 week solo trip to Italy
- 9 River Boat Cruise
- 10 Oh Italy, What to wear!
- 11 Good and not too touristy restaurants
- 12 Hotel advice
- 13 Public Transport information App/Website
- 14 Tour or independent
- 15 My Fundraising Dream in Paris
- 16 Copenhagen and Stockholm Hotel Recommendations
- 17 Venice to Malpensa: which way to travel?
- 18 Hotels in Amsterdam
- 19 First Trip to Italy-2 weeks
- 20 Honeymoon - Spain & Greece
- 21 Sicily - Itinerary suggestions
- 22 Andalusia itinerary comments & advice please!
- 23 York Churches
- 24 Puglia itinerary - need help!
- 25 Venice Restaurant on Easter Sunday?