My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 St. Petersburg plus
- 2 Advice on Tuscan hilltowns itinerary
- 3 7 Days, 7 Counties, 3 Generations Southwest Sampler
- 4 Scandinavian and Baltic Adventure - our trip report
- 5 Just Us 2 Wedding and 2 Wks in Europe. We need help planning please!
- 6 Hotels in Barcelona
- 7 Barcelona Barcelona where have you been all my life! Days 1 and 2
- 8 Referendum in Greece
- 9 CapitaineTrain.com again !!!!!
- 10 Barcelona Itinerary
- 11 Where to go in Southern Italy in December?
- 12 Itinerary help for Italy!!
- 13 Bath or Exeter
- 14 Pegontheroad in eastern Europe
- 15 Rail Itinerary around Northern/Central Italy
- 16 Croatia-Dubrovnik-split 8 days
- 17 Amalfi Coast restaurants...are dinner reservations a must?
- 18 Trip Report: Bellagio, Milan, Venice, Cinque Terre and Piedmont
- 19 Need help with Switzerland and Italy iterinary
- 20 Our Paris plans
- 21 railfrom amstedam to reims fr
- 22 Any recent visitors to Aran Sweater Market Inis Mor Island, Ireland?
- 23 Is my itinerary the Best of Switzerland?
- 24 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 25 A week in Vienna