My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy-Switz family of 6: June 2015
- 2 Afternoon Tea Ideas
- 3 buying Eruos in advance
- 4 Shopping in Paris
- 5 Berlin or Budapest?
- 6 First Europe Trip... To cram or not to cram?
- 7 Spain and Beyond - Part Three
- 8 Who has used their iPad and sim card?
- 9 Planning on taking the train in Germany? Better have a backup plan.
- 10 October too late for the Italian lakes?
- 11 2 week Scandinavia Trip
- 12 Greece to Italy by Ferry, Pros and Cons
- 13 Spending money
- 14 Why should I go to Norway in Oct?
- 15 Provence planning
- 16 1st Time in Europe
- 17 Where Europeans Vacation
- 18 I Go to Pieces — An Italy Trip Report
- 19 16 hours total drive time in 6 days
- 20 Warsaw-Kraków-Budapest-Amsterdam itinerary help
- 21 Dublin Ireland
- 22 Norway in a NutShell via Car/Boat
- 23 3.5 days Itinerary in Switzerland
- 24 Guesthouse in Bad Gastein
- 25 Lazio - Where to spend 2 days ?