My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Umbria - Draft Itinerary - Thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Useful website for France
- 2 Water taxi reservations in Venice
- 3 The Times reveals secret best beaches: mediterranean
- 4 Day trip to Northern Italy Suggestions
- 5 What to wear
- 6 Munich and Dachau
- 7 London visit
- 8 Duoro river cruises
- 9 Special restaurants - recommendations needed
- 10 Switzerland & Italian Riviera & Sardinia Summer 2014
- 11 Trouble purchasing tickets to Sagrada Familia online
- 12 Venice canal boats--best deals?
- 13 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 14 Our Silver Lining Tour: A German Journey & Queen's Day Too
- 15 Small group for Colosseum
- 16 SIM card for eastern europe
- 17 Suggestions for Trip to Villefranche-sur-Mer
- 18 Anyone been to Rhodes,Crete,etc. over Christmas?
- 19 Any knowledge of the Kavouri - Vouliagmeni (Athens Suburbs) Greece
- 20 Italy/France 22 day Itinerary - Help Please
- 21 Madrid and London
- 22 Back from Budapest- Report Including Eger, Szentendre and London
- 23 21 Days in Central Europe
- 24 Three days in Spain
- 25 Tram 28 safe to travel with kids?