My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Umbria - Draft Itinerary - Thoughts?
- 1 7 days in Andalucia
- 2 Mad Dash Across Too Much - Rome
- 3 all white pottery shop near La Deniere Goutte Wine Shop
- 4 Orvieto ro Pompei day trip in late December?
- 5 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 6 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 7 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 8 Popping in and out of Ireland
- 9 Hungary and Czech Republic
- 10 Driving from Nice to Besancon, France
- 11 Rental Agency Recommendation
- 12 rent car / Munich
- 13 Apartments in Rome
- 14 London for Christmas
- 15 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 16 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 17 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 18 To Paris and Provence in June
- 19 Please help with this Switzerland/Italy itinerary
- 20 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 21 Madrid to Sevilla
- 22 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 23 A full week in The Netherlands
- 24 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 25 Venice 3 days Itinerary.