My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 An October day in the Luberon
- 2 Greece and Turkey next summer - are we crazy?
- 3 Paris Vacation Rentals in 2015
- 4 ALGARVE- MALAGA Spain road trip...help needed
- 5 Tipping culture in Croatia and the Balkans
- 6 Tipping culture in Croatia and the Balkans
- 7 Do I need a debit/PiIN card in England?
- 8 Southern France suggestions
- 9 Yay or Nay to these "front of the line" Vatican tours?
- 10 Itinerary help for Bavaria
- 11 Amsterdam and beyond
- 12 Train from Alsace to Cochem
- 13 Montpellier - A few questions
- 14 Late October Trip in France
- 15 Gatwick to Paddington via Victoria/London Bridge
- 16 3 weeks northern Italy advice
- 17 Bus to/from CDG to Paris only 2 euros!!
- 18 Valencia Oct 6-8 Swim in Sea?
- 19 Return to Paris after 15 Years
- 20 Art History lover - itinerary help
- 21 Paris-Best to visit end of October.. or during Christmas time?
- 22 This is Why I Will Always Travel Solo From Now: Trip Report -Rome and Sorrento
- 23 Ring of Kerry: South Loop only? Gap of Dunloe?
- 24 Turkey Quick Trip
- 25 I have 10 days to spend in Italy! Advice needed!