My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Umbria - Draft Itinerary - Thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italian itinerary ~ 28 days - review and assistance
- 2 Madrid: Atmospheric Old Taverns
- 3 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 4 3 Months in Europe (25 April - 24 July 2015)
- 5 Rome, and Eastern Europe by older single woman
- 6 Hurtigruten Cruise excursions alternatives, coast of Norway
- 7 Question about Liberation Day in the Netherlands
- 8 Olive Oil
- 9 Chinese Tourists in Paris: Not Always Happy
- 10 Is it worth driving around Southern Tuscany if we don't drink wine?
- 11 paris apartment opinion airbnb
- 12 Driving from milan to san vigiglio di Marebee .
- 13 Norway and maybe Denmark
- 14 Air France strike is extended until 26 September
- 15 Pre-Trip Jitters!
- 16 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 17 Ortisei and Castelrotto trip report
- 18 Trip Report : North of Spain
- 19 30 day Multi-Country Europe Trip in June- PLEASE HELP WITH ITINERARY!!!
- 20 Italy tours
- 21 Planning 18 day euro trip HELP
- 22 We have no idea where to go!
- 23 Need suggestions for Sienna and Orvieto
- 24 Stockholm - airport to city during a layover?
- 25 Portugal and Spain itinerary help -- 11 days in the end of Nov. 2014