My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Umbria - Draft Itinerary - Thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 7 weeks Europe with toddler - Itinerary advice
- 2 A week in the South of France Sept 2014
- 3 River Cruise: MS Amadeus Elegant- Reserve with Caution
- 4 Passport Delays
- 5 Juan Les Pins or Cannes? Heading there this weekend and need your advise...
- 6 My final (hopefully) Dresden Itinerary for Review
- 7 "Compartment" vs "Saloon Carriage" in 2nd class: Salzburg to Venice?
- 8 Itinerey help for a 27 day trip to Europe for April of 2015
- 9 spain in 14 nights with wife and 2 17 yrs old kids
- 10 TGV Train Tickets/Passes
- 11 first family trip to Switzerland
- 12 Spending money in Italy?
- 13 Base for 6 nights between Fussen and Garmisch Partenkirchen?
- 14 Normandy in October
- 15 Itinerary for 11 day trip to France
- 16 Trip Report: 10 Days in Spain
- 17 a hostel in Moscow, Russia
- 18 Anybody in Amalfi right now? Weather?
- 19 Vacation Rental Home near Barcelona with 8 bed/8 bath help
- 20 Paris in October solo - potpourri of questions
- 21 Copenhagen - Must see places and time required in city!!
- 22 Tentative itinerary for Andalucia for April/May 2015
- 23 Train from Copenhagen to Stockholm; Best site to book and when?
- 24 Stockholm Metro Stations
- 25 Crazy Trying to Rent a Car