My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Umbria - Draft Itinerary - Thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Printing Paris Bus Routes --Kerouac, others?
- 2 getting on highway from Avignon TVG Europcar rental place
- 3 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 4 People acting out Paris Metro Names
- 5 Naples - Hotel to stay for 2 nites
- 6 Toulouse and beyond -
- 7 Soccer/futbol in Madrid
- 8 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 9 Reims for a day
- 10 Apartment and Area to Stay in Istanbul
- 11 Any exciting towns South of Rome, Italy
- 12 Munich with a car?
- 13 day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 14 Abruzzo for 5 days
- 15 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 16 Barcelona to SW France to Madrid in 10 days
- 17 recommendations for budget hotels - West End, Covent Garden, Bloomsbury
- 18 Florence to Naples by car road trip ideas
- 19 poland to switzerland
- 20 Madrid or Toledo on May 1st - holiday
- 21 Online hotel reservation sites reliable?
- 22 First Solo Euro Trip -- August 2014
- 23 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 24 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 25 Day trip on the Rhine