My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Krakow glass Christmas ornaments
- 2 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 3 Aug 2017 - Italy with Boys (12 & 7 yr old)
- 4 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 5 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 6 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 7 Enough time to make connection at CDG?
- 8 Shoes in Scotland
- 9 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 10 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 11 Alsace for 5 days and 6 more days- where???
- 12 Road trip from Barcelona to Rome (1st time in Europe)
- 13 Roughing out a train/car trip from London to Scotland
- 14 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 15 How much time to allow between arrival at CDG and train departure?
- 16 Sicily
- 17 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 18 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 19 Question about National Visa to Tourist Visa
- 20 Two for One Days OUt
- 21 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 22 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 23 Honeymoon in Greece
- 24 Tour of Northern Italy
- 25 Italy for Christmas Week