I (23) am taking my brother (13) and sister (18) to the UK from 25 April to 14 May. I was wondering whether you could critique the itinerary I've made. I have been to the UK twice already so I wanted my siblings to see the basics (Bath, Oxford or Cambridge, London) while getting to visit new places for me as well. Limitations: sister has to fly home on 07 May, we're on a student budget, and I'm a little wary of learning how to drive on the left hand side of the road on the spot.
My brother and I like football (unfortunately, no Arsenal v Norwich tickets to be had for love or money), Romans, ruins, and nature but are afraid of heights (so no mountain climbing!) and my sister likes country walks and vintage shopping. We're all rather into history though in different areas.
Here's my current itinerary:
25-28— Edinburgh: Palace of the Holyrood, Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Mile, the National Gallery (really looking forward to this), and Linlithgow Palace (accessible by a 30-minute train right?)
28-29— Glasgow, Stirling, and the Isle of Skye
29— Sleeper train to London (takes 1 day on rail pass)
30— Drop bags off at apartment then take the next train to Winchester (back on the last train)
I bought a 4-day Britrail Party Flexipass for days we wanted to do whirlwind regional tours but I stupidly put April 29 as the first day of validity so we won't be able to use it as much as we'd like around Scotland. What do you think, should I extend the Scotland leg of the trip to the 30th or just take a coach day tour to the Isle of Skye on the 29th? I've been reading about the train journey from Fort William to Mallaig (and vice versa) and I sort of want to rearrange all my bookings to fit it in but not sure if Skye is worth if we've only got a night or two.
01— London: National Gallery, Churchill's War Rooms, Trafalgar Square, etc.
02— Liverpool & Chester: Speke Hall and sightseeing (day 2/4 on rail pass)
03— London: Sir John Soane's Museum and Tate Britain
04— Brighton/Lewes, Hastings, and Rye (day 3/4 on rail pass)
05— London: Natural History Museum and the V&A
06— The Cotswolds: train to Moreton-in-Marsh then bus to Stow-in-the-Wold and the Slaughters, Chipping Camden, Kiftsgate Gardens (BLUEBELLS) then nearest train back to London (day 4/4 on rail pass)
Day trips: is it feasible for the day trips planned? I wanted to make the most of the pass without getting too exhausted. Any tips on a better configuration, especially for the Cotswolds. I know it's difficult to get to villages using public transportation but my sister really wanted to see it before she left. Should we just get a coach tour?
08—14 London with trips to (1) Cambridge & Ely, (2) Arundel, (3) Bath & Wells, (4) Greenwich
Any better ideas for day trips? We wanted to do Hadrian's Wall but it might be too difficult to do in a day (Fountain Abbey ditto) but if you think it's manageable, please let me know! Also, is it possible to do Chester-Conwy-Betws-y-Coed in a day or do I need a TARDIS? Or, if all I really need is a car, where is the best place to get one then practise for a bit?
We are pretty flexible. Thank you!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Feedback please on my itinerary Poland and Lithuania
- 2 Changing Planes at Fiumicino
- 3 Ideas for change in our Italian itinerary please
- 4 Vaporetto ticket time questions
- 5 Should We Go to the French Riviera in August?
- 6 Amsterdam
- 7 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 8 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz - Memorial Day Special
- 9 Avoid Europcar!
- 10 First Time in Ireland...Intinerary advice please
- 11 Transport Christmas and NYE
- 12 Europe Winter Itinerary
- 13 Train / Calabria
- 14 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 15 16 days in France and Italy
- 16 Sarlat & Surrounding Towns Restaurants
- 17 Hotels on st george beach naxos
- 18 Paris for children
- 19 Nice/Villefranche/Monaco
- 20 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 21 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 22 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 23 Proposed electronics ban and questions about my Kindle
- 24 Private Guide in Cordoba, Spain
- 25 Spain itinerary and railway advise