I (23) am taking my brother (13) and sister (18) to the UK from 25 April to 14 May. I was wondering whether you could critique the itinerary I've made. I have been to the UK twice already so I wanted my siblings to see the basics (Bath, Oxford or Cambridge, London) while getting to visit new places for me as well. Limitations: sister has to fly home on 07 May, we're on a student budget, and I'm a little wary of learning how to drive on the left hand side of the road on the spot.
My brother and I like football (unfortunately, no Arsenal v Norwich tickets to be had for love or money), Romans, ruins, and nature but are afraid of heights (so no mountain climbing!) and my sister likes country walks and vintage shopping. We're all rather into history though in different areas.
Here's my current itinerary:
25-28— Edinburgh: Palace of the Holyrood, Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Mile, the National Gallery (really looking forward to this), and Linlithgow Palace (accessible by a 30-minute train right?)
28-29— Glasgow, Stirling, and the Isle of Skye
29— Sleeper train to London (takes 1 day on rail pass)
30— Drop bags off at apartment then take the next train to Winchester (back on the last train)
I bought a 4-day Britrail Party Flexipass for days we wanted to do whirlwind regional tours but I stupidly put April 29 as the first day of validity so we won't be able to use it as much as we'd like around Scotland. What do you think, should I extend the Scotland leg of the trip to the 30th or just take a coach day tour to the Isle of Skye on the 29th? I've been reading about the train journey from Fort William to Mallaig (and vice versa) and I sort of want to rearrange all my bookings to fit it in but not sure if Skye is worth if we've only got a night or two.
01— London: National Gallery, Churchill's War Rooms, Trafalgar Square, etc.
02— Liverpool & Chester: Speke Hall and sightseeing (day 2/4 on rail pass)
03— London: Sir John Soane's Museum and Tate Britain
04— Brighton/Lewes, Hastings, and Rye (day 3/4 on rail pass)
05— London: Natural History Museum and the V&A
06— The Cotswolds: train to Moreton-in-Marsh then bus to Stow-in-the-Wold and the Slaughters, Chipping Camden, Kiftsgate Gardens (BLUEBELLS) then nearest train back to London (day 4/4 on rail pass)
Day trips: is it feasible for the day trips planned? I wanted to make the most of the pass without getting too exhausted. Any tips on a better configuration, especially for the Cotswolds. I know it's difficult to get to villages using public transportation but my sister really wanted to see it before she left. Should we just get a coach tour?
08—14 London with trips to (1) Cambridge & Ely, (2) Arundel, (3) Bath & Wells, (4) Greenwich
Any better ideas for day trips? We wanted to do Hadrian's Wall but it might be too difficult to do in a day (Fountain Abbey ditto) but if you think it's manageable, please let me know! Also, is it possible to do Chester-Conwy-Betws-y-Coed in a day or do I need a TARDIS? Or, if all I really need is a car, where is the best place to get one then practise for a bit?
We are pretty flexible. Thank you!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 which train from Gatwick? And rental car pickup
- 2 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 3 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 4 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 5 What experiences were most memorable for your kids?
- 6 What kind of tea can i choose in afternoon tea in France?
- 7 Rome or Venice first
- 8 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 9 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 10 LeHavre to Rennes/St. Malo?
- 11 Photography gear for Rome and Venice
- 12 Navigation Decouverte cards never expire; right? Wrong!
- 13 A quick visit to Hampton Court
- 14 Seeking reasonable itinerary
- 15 Azores v. north coastal Portugal-Best use of time between Lisbon and Porto
- 16 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 17 Last two nights of SW England trip
- 18 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 19 3 day trip to iceland
- 20 Classical or choral or sacred music venues in Rome
- 21 Alitala
- 22 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 23 Copenhagen/Hamburg Trip Report September 2017
- 24 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 25 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh