I've been perusing the forums for a few weeks now, and I feel like I owe everyone a tremendous thank you! The information here has been very helpful so far.
My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon for the UK - 15 nights/16 days in October 2013.
Any feedback on our itinerary would be much appreciated. Our interests are castles and ruins, art and history museums, and general exploring of neighborhoods, towns and cities.
Here it goes:
Day 1, Tuesday: Arrive LHR 10:15 am. Stay in London.
Day 2, Wednesday: London.
Day 3, Thursday: London.
Day 4, Friday: Early train to Bath. Stay in Bath.
Day 5, Saturday: Mad Max Bus Tour - Avebury and Stonehenge. Overnight in Bath.
Day 6, Sunday: Rent car in Bath. Driving tour of South Wales (Caerphilly or Chepstow, Tintern Abbey). End in Chipping Campden. Stay in Chipping Campden.
Day 7, Monday: Explore the Cotswolds. Stay in Chipping Campden.
Day 8, Tuesday: Drive to Keswick with a stop at Warwick Castle. Overnight in Keswick.
Day 9, Wednesday: Explore the Lake District. Drive to Edinburgh. Stay in Edinburgh.
Day 10, Thursday: Edinburgh.
Day 11, Friday: Rabbies 1 Day Tour - West Highland Lochs and Castles. Stay in Edinburgh.
Day 12, Saturday: Edinburgh
Day 13, Sunday: Drive to York with a stop at Hadrian's Wall. Return car. Stay in York.
Day 14, Monday: York.
Day 15, Tuesday: Train to London. Overnight in London.
Day 16, Wednesday: Depart LHR 4:20 pm.
What do you think? Doable? Anything you would change or recommend?
On Day 15, should we plan more time in York, or time in London, or add a stop in between?
On Day 6, Chepstow is closer to Tintern Abbey, would that be the better route (than seeing Caerphilly)?
I think I am already spotting a problem, Day 6 is a Sunday. We will be hard-pressed to pick up a rental car that day, wouldn't you think? (We have rewards with Hertz.)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Nice/Villefranche/Monaco
- 2 Iceland trip report!
- 3 Need help deciphering benefits of Swiss train pass vs German 25% off...
- 4 Seville to Cordoba
- 5 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 6 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 7 Tuscany wedding venues for 2
- 8 Stowing Luggage at Florence for a day!
- 9 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 10 Switzerland swiss mountain passes so confusing, jungfrou
- 11 3 nights in Madrid
- 12 Personalised Experiences for Tourists
- 13 Driving a rental car from Croatia to Slovenia
- 14 ATM
- 15 Transport Christmas and NYE
- 16 Sarlat & Surrounding Towns Restaurants
- 17 Buying Train Tickets at Schipol - Machine
- 18 London 6 day itinerary
- 19 London Hotel - Different Request
- 20 Portugal rental car
- 21 Stumbling on the path to a Russian visa
- 22 Keira-Caitlyn Travels to Turkey...adventures in Istanbul and Ephesus
- 23 alcazar question and seville advice
- 24 Bernese Oberland
- 25 Burgundy/Beaune & Dijon