"All bets are off on the 38 billion pound rail improvement scheme with high-speed lines thru the Midlands shelved - only the electrification of Great Western trains remains on schedule but no real high-speed rail for the U.K. which has only one line authentically serving to be called a high-speed line - the Channel Tunnel Rail Link Eurostar trains and a few commuter trains speed over.
So the U.K. remains far behind the likes of Germany, Holland, Blegium, Italy and even Spain in not having a true high-speed rail network. As the number of U.K. rail passengers has doubled in the past 20 years (article say) trains are getting more full and old rail lines saturated yet Britain has its head in the ground on providing a truly modern European rail network. Mind the gap in rail infrastructure and get used to cramped uncomfy slow milk trains typical of today's Britain.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Can I visit Rotterdam on a 6h40 min layover in Schiphol?
- 2 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 3 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 4 Italy in January?
- 5 2 days in Lugano area
- 6 Day Trip to Capri: Advice Needed
- 7 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 8 Plane to Train Connection-CDG to Gare De Lyon
- 9 Half day in Côte d'Azur
- 10 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 11 (Repost) Overall cost of three weeks in Scotland??
- 12 Trouble Getting from Tours to Orly
- 13 Trad Music and Hops--Our Week in Dublin
- 14 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 15 Scotland in December
- 16 Car Service, CDG to Paris hotel.
- 17 Hotel Fita Amsterdam- questions re: air conditioning
- 18 Scotland & UK: 2 weeks with Sheep & Cows
- 19 Trip to Barcelona, london, Paris, and Amsterdam/Dublin
- 20 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 21 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 22 10 days in London in early December
- 23 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 24 Lisbon Hotel choice
- 25 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!