"All bets are off on the 38 billion pound rail improvement scheme with high-speed lines thru the Midlands shelved - only the electrification of Great Western trains remains on schedule but no real high-speed rail for the U.K. which has only one line authentically serving to be called a high-speed line - the Channel Tunnel Rail Link Eurostar trains and a few commuter trains speed over.
So the U.K. remains far behind the likes of Germany, Holland, Blegium, Italy and even Spain in not having a true high-speed rail network. As the number of U.K. rail passengers has doubled in the past 20 years (article say) trains are getting more full and old rail lines saturated yet Britain has its head in the ground on providing a truly modern European rail network. Mind the gap in rail infrastructure and get used to cramped uncomfy slow milk trains typical of today's Britain.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Versailles
- 2 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 3 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 4 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 5 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 6 Short Spain Trip - questions
- 7 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 8 Milan to Switzerland for skiing
- 9 Paris to Orly Airport Public Transport
- 10 WB Harry Potter Studios Sold Out
- 11 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 12 Christmas windows in Paris 2016
- 13 Germany train help!
- 14 Cap Corse - clockwise or counterclockwise
- 15 Most beautiful building facades and photo ops in Paris
- 16 Cote d'Azur--Having Second Thoughts...
- 17 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 18 Acorn TV
- 19 Train help for Prague
- 20 Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia?
- 21 Sicily
- 22 Scandinavia - By land or by sea?
- 23 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 24 Rare Curiosity-Piquing Photos From Rome + Thank You
- 25 LISBON FOOD NOTES Fall, 2016