We are in the early stages of planning a two week to France for late June, 2013. We have been to Paris a few times before, but have not traveled much in other areas of France. The first 4 days, including the day we get there will be spent in Paris. It's possible we would choose to spend an extra day there to take a day trip to the Champagne area by train, taking a private tour with La vigne Du Roy Champaigne tours out of Reims. We are trying to decide what to do with the rest of our trip. The Burgundy area, in particular Dijon, appeals to me in the little I've read so far. So does Arles and Provence, where St Remy, Gordes, Uzes, and Avignon keep coming up as interesting places to see. The Dordogne area is mentioned frequently as a lovely area to visit, but I don't know if that is too much to fit into this visit. We are not interested in Normandy or the French Riviera on this trip. We like traveling by car, enjoying small villages and beautiful vistas, which hopefully will include heather blooming. We also enjoy good food and wine, beautiful Cathedrals, and getting a sense of the history of the area. We are very comfortable renting a car in whichever outlying area you recommend to pick it up after Paris, and would return it and take the train back to Paris for our departure home. We have traveled extensively in Tuscany and Umbria, and followed Stu Dudley's suggested driving itinerary there, which we loved. We stayed in Agriturismos in out of the way areas, and so I presume Bread & Breakfasts would be more to our liking in France than hotels. So......, what itinerary would you suggest given our time frame and interests, where would you recommend renting a car, what "home base" or two would you recommend as a point from which we could explore the areas, and are there any accommodations or restaurants that you can recommend in these areas? it's alot to ask, but any help that can guide us in making travel decisions will be greatly appreciated!!!
Two weeks in France - need help Stu Dudley and others!
- 1 Renfi for Rail Europe
- 2 2 weeks in Copenhagen-Helsinki-Stockholm
- 3 10 day switzerland itinerary by train
- 4 Help with Itinerary for Marseille/Provence trip in September
- 5 Alsace question. Itterswiller or Riquewihr, where to stay?
- 6 Connection in Newark EWR
- 7 Chip-and-PIN cards again
- 8 Norway, Sweden, but have to make it to Marseille
- 9 Berne or Montreux, I can't decide
- 10 Schiphol to cruise port - luggage problem
- 11 Am I in an unsafe Parisian neighborhood?
- 12 Venice at Christmas?
- 13 Rome Airport to Amalfi Coast
- 14 Help with itenerary
- 15 6 Weeks Traveling Around: Italy, Austria, Budapest, Paris
- 16 La Samaritaine (Paris): what's happening?
- 17 RENTAL CAR - in Cortona, Italy ?
- 18 What is the best food in France?
- 19 Villa or Hilltop Town?
- 20 Help choosing lodging on Antrim coast area
- 21 rand versus euro
- 22 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 23 3 LADIES - NAXOS OR PAROS AS BASE FOR 7 DAYS
- 24 Cell Phone for Italy travel
- 25 10 day honeymoon in Italy in Nov