I am planning a trip to England in September 2013 and hoping to get some advice. We will have a car. I am looking forward to seeing the countryside, castles, gardens and anything Tudor. The tentative itinerary:
Day 1: arrive Heathrow, overnight Windsor
Day 2: daytrip to Oxford then drive to Chipping Campden (5 nights in Chipping Campden)
Days 3 - 6: touring the Cotswolds, daytrip to Stratford-Upon-Avon/Kenilworth Castle (will there be time for Baddesley Clinton?)
Day 7: Hardwick Hall and Chatsworth House, overnight Bakewell area?
Day 8: day (or two) of half-timbered houses! From Bakewell to Ludlow, visit Little Moreton Hall, Market Drayton, Shrewsbury, Much Wenlock, Bishop’s Castle. Overnight Ludlow
Day 9: Ludlow, overnight Ludlow
Day 10: Gloucester, Castle Combe, Lacock, overnight Bath
Day 11: Bath, overnight Bath
Day 12: Wells Cathedral, overnight Bath
Day 13: Stourhead House and Garden, Jane Austen’s Chawton, overnight Winchester
Day 14: Winchester, overnight Winchester
Day 15: drive by Highclere Castle en route to Heathrow
Is it be better to spend the second night in Oxford rather than Chipping Campden? Would I be able to fit in Haddon Hall? Highclere Castle will be closed so what is the best vantage point to see it from the road? I had originally hoped to go to Sevenoaks, Staplehurst and Tenterden to see where my ancestors lived, but I don’t think that this trip will accommodate it.
Two week visit to England – input appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Yearly Greece visitor looking for different island
- 2 Nairn to Edinburgh to home - route and where to stay
- 3 Hotel in Venice
- 4 Need to visit a hospital in Athens
- 5 Tours For Young Professionals Other Than Contiki
- 6 Help with Barcelona Plans Please!
- 7 Last day in Italy with kids, Bologna or Venice?
- 8 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 9 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 10 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 11 Maitaitom & Tracy's Romantic 20th Anniversary Paris 2014 Trip In September
- 12 Barcelona to SW France to Madrid in 10 days
- 13 Berlin/Prague Itinerary Too Much, Too Little?
- 14 Summarizing my Renfe train ticket before purchase for Madrid to Cordoba
- 15 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 16 Bordeaux, Burgundy & Paris recommendations
- 17 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 18 Day trip from London to Paris
- 19 iDTGV Sales Open Today for Travel through September 11, 2014
- 20 Barcelona to Girona: Rent a Car or just take the train?
- 21 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 22 Budapest 4 nights - Top 10 must do
- 23 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 24 Dare I ask a Transportation Question?
- 25 A Winter Wander – Engadine and Berner Oberland