I am planning a trip to England in September 2013 and hoping to get some advice. We will have a car. I am looking forward to seeing the countryside, castles, gardens and anything Tudor. The tentative itinerary:
Day 1: arrive Heathrow, overnight Windsor
Day 2: daytrip to Oxford then drive to Chipping Campden (5 nights in Chipping Campden)
Days 3 - 6: touring the Cotswolds, daytrip to Stratford-Upon-Avon/Kenilworth Castle (will there be time for Baddesley Clinton?)
Day 7: Hardwick Hall and Chatsworth House, overnight Bakewell area?
Day 8: day (or two) of half-timbered houses! From Bakewell to Ludlow, visit Little Moreton Hall, Market Drayton, Shrewsbury, Much Wenlock, Bishop’s Castle. Overnight Ludlow
Day 9: Ludlow, overnight Ludlow
Day 10: Gloucester, Castle Combe, Lacock, overnight Bath
Day 11: Bath, overnight Bath
Day 12: Wells Cathedral, overnight Bath
Day 13: Stourhead House and Garden, Jane Austen’s Chawton, overnight Winchester
Day 14: Winchester, overnight Winchester
Day 15: drive by Highclere Castle en route to Heathrow
Is it be better to spend the second night in Oxford rather than Chipping Campden? Would I be able to fit in Haddon Hall? Highclere Castle will be closed so what is the best vantage point to see it from the road? I had originally hoped to go to Sevenoaks, Staplehurst and Tenterden to see where my ancestors lived, but I don’t think that this trip will accommodate it.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Venice Film Fest
- 2 Berlin/Prague/Vienna/Budapest
- 3 All of Spain or something else..?
- 4 10 Days in Spain is this do-able or nuts?
- 5 France for a month in 2017
- 6 Poland, Czech, Slovak Summer Holiday
- 7 2 weeks in Amsterdam, Belgium and France
- 8 Italy/ Sicily - Help with area west of Palermo
- 9 Restaurants and sights in Puglia
- 10 Four favorite things to do in Paris during the Christmas holidays
- 11 Books and Films about/set in Southern Italy
- 12 Les bons plans de Whathello
- 13 Istanbul - Would you go there?
- 14 Avoid Viking River Cruises
- 15 Sept Help Needed Hotels & Timing: Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam
- 16 evening of song and dance
- 17 Naples or Genoa
- 18 Flaminco recommendations for Seville September 29 to October 1
- 19 SIM card
- 20 Our time in Rome
- 21 Provins as a day trip from Paris
- 22 Rioja - Where to Stay the Night?
- 23 Suicide bombing in Ansbach
- 24 Europe itinerary review
- 25 Lake Lucerne Boat Travel