I am planning a trip to England in September 2013 and hoping to get some advice. We will have a car. I am looking forward to seeing the countryside, castles, gardens and anything Tudor. The tentative itinerary:
Day 1: arrive Heathrow, overnight Windsor
Day 2: daytrip to Oxford then drive to Chipping Campden (5 nights in Chipping Campden)
Days 3 - 6: touring the Cotswolds, daytrip to Stratford-Upon-Avon/Kenilworth Castle (will there be time for Baddesley Clinton?)
Day 7: Hardwick Hall and Chatsworth House, overnight Bakewell area?
Day 8: day (or two) of half-timbered houses! From Bakewell to Ludlow, visit Little Moreton Hall, Market Drayton, Shrewsbury, Much Wenlock, Bishop’s Castle. Overnight Ludlow
Day 9: Ludlow, overnight Ludlow
Day 10: Gloucester, Castle Combe, Lacock, overnight Bath
Day 11: Bath, overnight Bath
Day 12: Wells Cathedral, overnight Bath
Day 13: Stourhead House and Garden, Jane Austen’s Chawton, overnight Winchester
Day 14: Winchester, overnight Winchester
Day 15: drive by Highclere Castle en route to Heathrow
Is it be better to spend the second night in Oxford rather than Chipping Campden? Would I be able to fit in Haddon Hall? Highclere Castle will be closed so what is the best vantage point to see it from the road? I had originally hoped to go to Sevenoaks, Staplehurst and Tenterden to see where my ancestors lived, but I don’t think that this trip will accommodate it.
Two week visit to England – input appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Honeymoon in Greece - Athens, Mykonos, Santorini
- 2 Santorini accomodations and more for a couple and baby
- 3 One week in Ireland itinerary
- 4 There Nights in Venice - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 5 Spain Trip Ideas -Critique Welcome
- 6 Venice - visiting the Arsenal.
- 7 wineries near Ronda
- 8 One Town on the Amalfi Coast
- 9 Mid 20's first time in Paris - where to stay?!
- 10 travel to western Europe from India
- 11 Fun, free language website
- 12 Valencia and Baleric Islands Itinerary suggestions for May travel
- 13 Thello Train Ticket - Oct 11 - Paris to Venice - "temporarily closed"
- 14 Amalfi Coast vs Greece
- 15 I give up!!! Need some itinerary help please!!
- 16 weather and clothes in Paris Aug 2-8
- 17 Stay away from EF Tours
- 18 I'm in a funk
- 19 Keeping it el cheapo in Copenhagen Paris and Barcelona!
- 20 Middle Aged Regular American Guy Review of the Amalfi Coast
- 21 IRELAND - the driving is great: east to west, south to north!
- 22 Speeding ticket in Germany: how do I handle this?
- 23 Dress Code for the Vatican
- 24 Bike touring in France
- 25 Does this sound feasible?