I am planning a trip to England in September 2013 and hoping to get some advice. We will have a car. I am looking forward to seeing the countryside, castles, gardens and anything Tudor. The tentative itinerary:
Day 1: arrive Heathrow, overnight Windsor
Day 2: daytrip to Oxford then drive to Chipping Campden (5 nights in Chipping Campden)
Days 3 - 6: touring the Cotswolds, daytrip to Stratford-Upon-Avon/Kenilworth Castle (will there be time for Baddesley Clinton?)
Day 7: Hardwick Hall and Chatsworth House, overnight Bakewell area?
Day 8: day (or two) of half-timbered houses! From Bakewell to Ludlow, visit Little Moreton Hall, Market Drayton, Shrewsbury, Much Wenlock, Bishop’s Castle. Overnight Ludlow
Day 9: Ludlow, overnight Ludlow
Day 10: Gloucester, Castle Combe, Lacock, overnight Bath
Day 11: Bath, overnight Bath
Day 12: Wells Cathedral, overnight Bath
Day 13: Stourhead House and Garden, Jane Austen’s Chawton, overnight Winchester
Day 14: Winchester, overnight Winchester
Day 15: drive by Highclere Castle en route to Heathrow
Is it be better to spend the second night in Oxford rather than Chipping Campden? Would I be able to fit in Haddon Hall? Highclere Castle will be closed so what is the best vantage point to see it from the road? I had originally hoped to go to Sevenoaks, Staplehurst and Tenterden to see where my ancestors lived, but I don’t think that this trip will accommodate it.
Two week visit to England – input appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 ITALY
- 2 Please help with itinerary...
- 3 2 Days in Rome
- 4 Globus Tours
- 5 Best location for Prague hotel?
- 6 Italy and Greece
- 7 Royal Opera House question?
- 8 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 9 2 full days in Paris
- 10 Ireland Itinerary Feedback Please
- 11 3 days in Rome
- 12 guided tours at Prado and Granada
- 13 Central London Hotels
- 14 ParisBestLodge Marais Apartment
- 15 Finalizing our Austria and Switzerland trip - last minute advice?
- 16 How to Use a Transilien Train from Paris in Ile de France?
- 17 There's no Place Like London: Part 1
- 18 Which area in Florence - Santa Croce or near Duomo?
- 19 Help with Madrid Location
- 20 Jamikins and Bikerscott Head Back to Le Marche
- 21 8 days in Switzerland in October first week
- 22 impact of the euro on travel costs
- 23 La Barceloneta Protests.
- 24 Oslo or Stockholm?
- 25 Trip Report: Arles, Dordogne and Paris, June-July 2014