I am planning a trip to England in September 2013 and hoping to get some advice. We will have a car. I am looking forward to seeing the countryside, castles, gardens and anything Tudor. The tentative itinerary:
Day 1: arrive Heathrow, overnight Windsor
Day 2: daytrip to Oxford then drive to Chipping Campden (5 nights in Chipping Campden)
Days 3 - 6: touring the Cotswolds, daytrip to Stratford-Upon-Avon/Kenilworth Castle (will there be time for Baddesley Clinton?)
Day 7: Hardwick Hall and Chatsworth House, overnight Bakewell area?
Day 8: day (or two) of half-timbered houses! From Bakewell to Ludlow, visit Little Moreton Hall, Market Drayton, Shrewsbury, Much Wenlock, Bishop’s Castle. Overnight Ludlow
Day 9: Ludlow, overnight Ludlow
Day 10: Gloucester, Castle Combe, Lacock, overnight Bath
Day 11: Bath, overnight Bath
Day 12: Wells Cathedral, overnight Bath
Day 13: Stourhead House and Garden, Jane Austen’s Chawton, overnight Winchester
Day 14: Winchester, overnight Winchester
Day 15: drive by Highclere Castle en route to Heathrow
Is it be better to spend the second night in Oxford rather than Chipping Campden? Would I be able to fit in Haddon Hall? Highclere Castle will be closed so what is the best vantage point to see it from the road? I had originally hoped to go to Sevenoaks, Staplehurst and Tenterden to see where my ancestors lived, but I don’t think that this trip will accommodate it.
Two week visit to England – input appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Four weeks driving thru Italy October 2014
- 2 Southern Spain - What to SEE, what to BUY - what NOT to miss
- 3 Italy..Tuscany Cinque Terre or Amalfi & Calabria Scilily
- 4 10-Hr Auto Tour o Lisbon,Portugal
- 5 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 6 What to do when your intra-Europe flight gets delayed?
- 7 Tour Belgium, the Netherlands and Switzerland On Line (Video + Stills)
- 8 Car travel within Regensburg during the Christmas season
- 9 Wurzburg/Regensburg Weather in April
- 10 Help with Italy itinerary (18 days: Rome, Umbria, Puglia, Amalfi?)
- 11 Amsterdam, Antwerp, Bruges over New Years
- 12 Best neighborhood for Rome?
- 13 Lucerne Switzerland
- 14 Tipping in the UK
- 15 A taste of Norway: Bergen and the fjords for four day
- 16 at what point should one get health insurance
- 17 Only 2+ hours for Schonbrunn Palace...timing question
- 18 Italy Travelogue, part I (Rome)
- 19 PLEASE HELP! Study Abroad either Rome or London for Journalism/PR Major
- 20 Ellen & Stu Dudley's trip to the Ile de Re & the Loire.
- 21 Good book about 20th C. European history?
- 22 How many pairs of shoes would you bring for a EuroTrip?
- 23 Which is a better hotel location in Rome
- 24 Planning 18 day euro trip HELP
- 25 Travel Cards / just made a $70 mistake?