I am planning a trip to England in September 2013 and hoping to get some advice. We will have a car. I am looking forward to seeing the countryside, castles, gardens and anything Tudor. The tentative itinerary:
Day 1: arrive Heathrow, overnight Windsor
Day 2: daytrip to Oxford then drive to Chipping Campden (5 nights in Chipping Campden)
Days 3 - 6: touring the Cotswolds, daytrip to Stratford-Upon-Avon/Kenilworth Castle (will there be time for Baddesley Clinton?)
Day 7: Hardwick Hall and Chatsworth House, overnight Bakewell area?
Day 8: day (or two) of half-timbered houses! From Bakewell to Ludlow, visit Little Moreton Hall, Market Drayton, Shrewsbury, Much Wenlock, Bishop’s Castle. Overnight Ludlow
Day 9: Ludlow, overnight Ludlow
Day 10: Gloucester, Castle Combe, Lacock, overnight Bath
Day 11: Bath, overnight Bath
Day 12: Wells Cathedral, overnight Bath
Day 13: Stourhead House and Garden, Jane Austen’s Chawton, overnight Winchester
Day 14: Winchester, overnight Winchester
Day 15: drive by Highclere Castle en route to Heathrow
Is it be better to spend the second night in Oxford rather than Chipping Campden? Would I be able to fit in Haddon Hall? Highclere Castle will be closed so what is the best vantage point to see it from the road? I had originally hoped to go to Sevenoaks, Staplehurst and Tenterden to see where my ancestors lived, but I don’t think that this trip will accommodate it.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 2 Global Travel Warning...
- 3 Belgian govt terror alert: Avoid malls, concerts & trains
- 4 Private transportation
- 5 Glastonbury vs Bath
- 6 X-ray machines at train stations in Europe?
- 7 Train from Interlaken to Venice
- 8 A week in Burgundy
- 9 Paris Under Seige...
- 10 Scotland itinerary, helm me with15 night itinerary
- 11 Advices about our itiniary
- 12 Churches of the East Riding of Yorkshire
- 13 Dynamic Currency Conversion is Alive & Well in Paris
- 14 Italy AND Switzerland in 8 days
- 15 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 16 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 17 Scenic drives in Tuscany
- 18 Safety concerns?
- 19 Dublin Ireland Hotel Advice for early June
- 20 Sicily--Three Weeks in October--Winging It is Doable
- 21 St. Petersburg: Gosh, it's expensive
- 22 Must be the season of the witch: Nikki's autumn trip to London and Paris
- 23 Do i need a Swiss Half-fare travelcard?
- 24 Morning in paris
- 25 Oct vs Nov for Greece