I am planning a trip to England in September 2013 and hoping to get some advice. We will have a car. I am looking forward to seeing the countryside, castles, gardens and anything Tudor. The tentative itinerary:
Day 1: arrive Heathrow, overnight Windsor
Day 2: daytrip to Oxford then drive to Chipping Campden (5 nights in Chipping Campden)
Days 3 - 6: touring the Cotswolds, daytrip to Stratford-Upon-Avon/Kenilworth Castle (will there be time for Baddesley Clinton?)
Day 7: Hardwick Hall and Chatsworth House, overnight Bakewell area?
Day 8: day (or two) of half-timbered houses! From Bakewell to Ludlow, visit Little Moreton Hall, Market Drayton, Shrewsbury, Much Wenlock, Bishop’s Castle. Overnight Ludlow
Day 9: Ludlow, overnight Ludlow
Day 10: Gloucester, Castle Combe, Lacock, overnight Bath
Day 11: Bath, overnight Bath
Day 12: Wells Cathedral, overnight Bath
Day 13: Stourhead House and Garden, Jane Austen’s Chawton, overnight Winchester
Day 14: Winchester, overnight Winchester
Day 15: drive by Highclere Castle en route to Heathrow
Is it be better to spend the second night in Oxford rather than Chipping Campden? Would I be able to fit in Haddon Hall? Highclere Castle will be closed so what is the best vantage point to see it from the road? I had originally hoped to go to Sevenoaks, Staplehurst and Tenterden to see where my ancestors lived, but I don’t think that this trip will accommodate it.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris removes Pont des Arts love locks
- 2 Granada to Malaga, most scenic route!
- 3 Quick trip to Switzerland. Suggestions ???
- 4 Where to catch bus at Glasgow Airport
- 5 Dublin to Dingle?
- 6 wandering in venice
- 7 France and Spain: 14 days: no set plans, HELP!!!
- 8 Three Weeks in Turkey Short Trip Report
- 9 London (and the rest of the UK) Calling...
- 10 Chiemsee or Walchensee? (Bavarian lakes roadtrip)
- 11 my current itinerary for future trip
- 12 ASADOR EXTEBARRI..and assorted related topics..questions..
- 13 Getting from Orvieto to Spoleto (Italy)
- 14 Help reg Grossglockner road
- 15 Italy on the Cheap (Mostly), May 2015
- 16 A road trip to Florence
- 17 London, Berchtgaden and??
- 18 Espagne, Olé! Ancient to modern, through Andalucia, Toledo and Madrid
- 19 Is Chateau Latour in Medoc only for buyers?
- 20 HELp with Milan /N Italy itinerary
- 21 Budapest,VIenna: Cash, Credit, ATM, Clothing, HELP
- 22 3 days Paris -Trying to fit everything in
- 23 Narrowed down itinerary, but still need help finishing in Munich
- 24 Lack of diversity? Venice/Florence/Rome
- 25 Bicycling in Tuscany - First Visit