I am planning a trip to England in September 2013 and hoping to get some advice. We will have a car. I am looking forward to seeing the countryside, castles, gardens and anything Tudor. The tentative itinerary:
Day 1: arrive Heathrow, overnight Windsor
Day 2: daytrip to Oxford then drive to Chipping Campden (5 nights in Chipping Campden)
Days 3 - 6: touring the Cotswolds, daytrip to Stratford-Upon-Avon/Kenilworth Castle (will there be time for Baddesley Clinton?)
Day 7: Hardwick Hall and Chatsworth House, overnight Bakewell area?
Day 8: day (or two) of half-timbered houses! From Bakewell to Ludlow, visit Little Moreton Hall, Market Drayton, Shrewsbury, Much Wenlock, Bishop’s Castle. Overnight Ludlow
Day 9: Ludlow, overnight Ludlow
Day 10: Gloucester, Castle Combe, Lacock, overnight Bath
Day 11: Bath, overnight Bath
Day 12: Wells Cathedral, overnight Bath
Day 13: Stourhead House and Garden, Jane Austen’s Chawton, overnight Winchester
Day 14: Winchester, overnight Winchester
Day 15: drive by Highclere Castle en route to Heathrow
Is it be better to spend the second night in Oxford rather than Chipping Campden? Would I be able to fit in Haddon Hall? Highclere Castle will be closed so what is the best vantage point to see it from the road? I had originally hoped to go to Sevenoaks, Staplehurst and Tenterden to see where my ancestors lived, but I don’t think that this trip will accommodate it.
Two week visit to England – input appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary help
- 2 England in 7 days
- 3 Berlin to Prague via Dresden
- 4 France and Italy 15 nights. Suggestions welcomed.
- 5 Germany -Preliminary Planning 2 weeks in Sept/15
- 6 Day Trips from Paris
- 7 Rome: Vatican to Tiburtina Station by bus?
- 8 Mother daughter London/Ireland trip
- 9 Spanish Music
- 10 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 11 first trip to Spain - questions and itinerary review
- 12 Travel with kids (6 & 8 yrs) to Germany/Switzerland/Liechtenstein
- 13 Umbria - planning for 3 or 4 days in April
- 14 Practicing Spanish while in Spain - any ideas?
- 15 Loco Spain Train Questions
- 16 Arles as a base?
- 17 22 days in Amsterdam, Germany, Austria and Switzerland
- 18 Paradors in Avila, Segovia, Salamanca and Cuenca Spain
- 19 Travel from Budapest to Rovinj, Croatia
- 20 Recommend a tour company?
- 21 Ireland's west coast
- 22 Turn Back or Forge Ahead?
- 23 Biarritz and San Sebastian in 1 Day?
- 24 2 different itineraries
- 25 please advise on 9 days in Iceland