I am planning a trip to England in September 2013 and hoping to get some advice. We will have a car. I am looking forward to seeing the countryside, castles, gardens and anything Tudor. The tentative itinerary:
Day 1: arrive Heathrow, overnight Windsor
Day 2: daytrip to Oxford then drive to Chipping Campden (5 nights in Chipping Campden)
Days 3 - 6: touring the Cotswolds, daytrip to Stratford-Upon-Avon/Kenilworth Castle (will there be time for Baddesley Clinton?)
Day 7: Hardwick Hall and Chatsworth House, overnight Bakewell area?
Day 8: day (or two) of half-timbered houses! From Bakewell to Ludlow, visit Little Moreton Hall, Market Drayton, Shrewsbury, Much Wenlock, Bishop’s Castle. Overnight Ludlow
Day 9: Ludlow, overnight Ludlow
Day 10: Gloucester, Castle Combe, Lacock, overnight Bath
Day 11: Bath, overnight Bath
Day 12: Wells Cathedral, overnight Bath
Day 13: Stourhead House and Garden, Jane Austen’s Chawton, overnight Winchester
Day 14: Winchester, overnight Winchester
Day 15: drive by Highclere Castle en route to Heathrow
Is it be better to spend the second night in Oxford rather than Chipping Campden? Would I be able to fit in Haddon Hall? Highclere Castle will be closed so what is the best vantage point to see it from the road? I had originally hoped to go to Sevenoaks, Staplehurst and Tenterden to see where my ancestors lived, but I don’t think that this trip will accommodate it.
Two week visit to England – input appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Location and amenities in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 2 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 3 France/Italy Itinerary Check
- 4 Estonia Amber
- 5 France Itinerary for 2 months: Please critique and advise!
- 6 French embassy schengen visa related questions
- 7 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 8 Villages to stay in Germany close to trains
- 9 9 nights in Switzerland Help!Please.
- 10 Swiss pass or Individual tickets?
- 11 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?
- 12 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 13 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 14 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 15 5 days in Europe: Budapest/Berlin or Copenhagen/Talinn or something else?
- 16 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 17 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 18 Dordogne and Paris - April/May 2013
- 19 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 20 9 days in turkey
- 21 Burg Eltz
- 22 Better to return car in Orvieto or airport Fiumicino (in Rome)
- 23 Germany-berlin marathon
- 24 Basque Spain to Lourdes to Carcassonne to Provence! 12 busy days solo
- 25 3 Week Trip to Italy and Paris - Suggestions