My younger brother and I (22 and 23) are going to be traveling around Central Europe for 3 weeks in beginning-mid June. We are going to be flying from Seattle to Amsterdam, then to Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Salzburg, and Munich. I studied abroad in Salzburg so I have visited Prague, Vienna, Salzburg and Munich before, but Amsterdam and Berlin are new to me!
1. I was hoping for some feedback on our itinerary; I know most people would say that we should spend less time in Salzburg; of course the reason we are staying here for 3 nights is because I used to live here. Outside of that, any cities where we should spend less time/more time?
2. I have Cesky Krumlov and Stift Melk/Wachau Valley as 2 overnight side trips from our itinerary; I've visited CK before but not spent the night; do you think spending the night is necessary, or should we skip it? I have visited Stift Melk but did not get the opportunity to explore Wachau Valley at all, and I've heard it's amazing wine country, which we would love to explore. Is 1 night enough here? And any recommendations of which little city to stay in?
3. Any other little side trips you would recommend (along the same vein as CK and Melk)? Big cities are fun and we want to explore them, but a lot of culture is hidden in the smaller towns/cities!
Thank you all for your feedback!
Day 1, Sat 5/30: Drive Seattle => Vancouver (flight leaves PM from Vancouver, Dan and I get to Amsterdam around 10:30 AM)
-Night 1: Flying
Day 2, Sun 5/31: Arrive into Amsterdam! (Around 10:30 AM)
-Night 2: Amsterdam!
Day 3, Mon 6/1: Amsterdam!
-Night 3: Amsterdam!
Day 4, Tues 6/2: Amsterdam!
-Night 4: Amsterdam!
Day 5, Weds 6/3: Amsterdam => Berlin! (probably plane but maybe train?)
-Night 5: Berlin!
Day 6, Thurs 6/4: Berlin!
-Night 6: Berlin!
Day 7, Fri 6/5: Berlin!
-Night 7: Berlin!
Day 8, Sat 6/6: Berlin => Prague (probably train, unless bus?)
-Night 8: Prague
Day 9, Sun 6/7: Prague!
-Night 9: Prague!
Day 10, Mon 6/8: Prague!
-Night 10: Prague!
Day 11, Tues 6/9: Prague!
-Night 11: Prague!
Day 12, Weds 6/10: Prague => Cesky Krumlov (not sure if bus or train will be best; also not sure if we will want to spend the night here or not but for now we have planned on yes)
-Night 12: CK
Day 13, Thurs 6/11: CK => Vienna (again, not sure if train or bus)
-Night 13, Vienna!
Day 14, Fri 6/12: Vienna!
-Night 14: Vienna!
Day 15, Sat 6/13: Vienna!
-Night 15: Vienna!
Day 16, Sun 6/14: Vienna => Stift Melk (would be a bus or a train)
-Night 16: Melk?
(The original plan here was to leave Vienna early in the morning, sightsee around Melk, hop on a boat up to Spitz, then bike from Spitz to Krems. Then we would train from Krems to Salzburg. But I haven't quite figured out what we're doing with our packs while we bike; also, this is supposed to be an absolutely gorgeous valley on the river with lots of wine . So I think we may want to stay at least 1 night here, but I'm not sure in which small city will be best.)
Day 17, Mon 6/15: Melk/Spitz/Krems (somewhere) => Salzburg (probably train)
-Night 17: Salzburg!
Day 18, Tues 6/16: Salzburg!
-Night 18: Salzburg!
Day 19, Weds 6/17: Salzburg!
-Night 19: Salzburg!
Day 20, Thurs 6/18: Salzburg => Munich (train)
-Night 20: Munich
Day 21, Fri 6/19: Munich!
-Night 21: Munich!
Day 22, Sat 6/20: Munich => Vancouver and Vancouver => Seattle (flight leaves Munich early AM and gets to Vancouver around 3 pm
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 New Law Regarding Vacation Rentals in Paris
- 2 Travel insurance for Dutch residents question
- 3 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 4 Trip suggestion
- 5 I'm looking for a guide in Moldova
- 6 Spain in July
- 7 Another tipping question: concierges
- 8 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 9 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 10 Northern Italy with 2 kids itinerary help
- 11 Overnight trip from Barcelona
- 12 I need help deciding ASAP!
- 13 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 14 Acorn TV
- 15 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 16 Island Hopping in the Cyclades
- 17 Petrol in Greece
- 18 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 19 We're here!
- 20 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 21 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 22 Best method to travel from Antalya to Cappadocia?
- 23 6-7 Days in France
- 24 International Flight Question
- 25 5 Days in Switzerland