We will be visiting Italy in October 2013 for our honeymoon. We will be travelling from Venice to Florence, and then Florence to Rome.
We are looking at staying 4 nights in Tuscany. I was originally only considering Florence, as we don't feel confident driving around too much and feel other areas will be less convenient.
I have, however, researched the Castello del Nero, in Tavarnelle Val di Pesa, around halfway between Siena and Florence. Has anyone stayed at this hotel or know of it? What are your recommendations? They offer a complimentary shuttle service to Florence and Siena, which I thought was good as we are able to see more of Tuscany than just Florence without needing a car.
We do however want to visit the Pisa, so I was thinking if we do stay at Castello del Nero, we could leave our bags at the train station when we arrive from Venice, go visit Pisa for the day, and then get the train back to Florence for the afternoon shuttle to the hotel. Alternatively, we would consider hiring a car or a vespa to day trip to Pisa and make see more of the Chianti wine region. What are your thoughts on this? We definitely want to limit our driving in Florence but this may be more convenient than taking public transport. The only issue is we will probably have to rent and return the car/vespa to Florence, which means getting the shuttle in and out.
Any alternative suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really like the look of the Castello del Nero, and it is right in our budget (around 290 euro a night, our max would be 350 euro), but if anyone knows of any alternative hotels/b&b's that would be appropriate I would greatly appreciate your feedback!
Many thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Girl Talk -- Clothing for Amalfi Coast and Rome, 9/28-10/8
- 2 SE ITALY
- 3 Shuttle from CDG into Paris
- 4 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 5 Dordogne France, 6 days, 13 people!
- 6 Bike rental - Aix en Provence area
- 7 Helpful Hint
- 8 Romania : Tip in restaurants.
- 9 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 10 Just curious--why Airbnb?
- 11 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 12 To the top of Europe, and back again.
- 13 Itinerary for Italy, Slovenia and Croatia in December 2017
- 14 Clueless, planning trip to Scotland
- 15 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 16 Croatia short sail trip
- 17 Spain, Portugal, 10 days family of 7.
- 18 6 Days in Italy
- 19 The Little Cyclades, Santorini, Vienna
- 20 Stu Tower
- 21 Amsterdam Mayor retires
- 22 two weeks in England including a mini Fodor get together
- 23 Two weeks in Greece early October
- 24 First trip to Europe with teens 14 and 15 Spain or Italy?
- 25 London and Paris - 3 days each